Heaps

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #256
    Originally posted by TheAzzuri View Post
    It's not optimism, it's that there is no one else.
    So are we convinced Lark is really that bad? That's a sincere question, because I have no idea how good Lark is. He could be Andrew Luck or he could be Brett Engemann for all I know. .
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • woot
      Resident Science Cop
      • Nov 2008
      • 5531

      #257
      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      So are we convinced Lark is really that bad? That's a sincere question, because I have no idea how good Lark is. He could be Andrew Luck or he could be Brett Engemann for all I know. .
      It seems reasonable to assume he's terrible because he hasn't sniffed the field despite the two guys ahead of him being mediocre or worse. I have to trust the coaches at least that much.

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #258
        Originally posted by woot View Post
        It seems reasonable to assume he's terrible because he hasn't sniffed the field despite the two guys ahead of him being mediocre or worse. I have to trust the coaches at least that much.
        I agree somewhat, but...some guys are gamers, some guys just get it done in practice. The coaches have only seen Lark in practice and based on what I've heard about Lark in practice he was even pretty good there anyway. If he's terrible, why did they recruit him? And if they used bad judgement in recruiting him, it seems reasonable that they are using bad judgement in who they are choosing to play the games.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • woot
          Resident Science Cop
          • Nov 2008
          • 5531

          #259
          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          I agree somewhat, but...some guys are gamers, some guys just get it done in practice. The coaches have only seen Lark in practice and based on what I've heard about Lark in practice he was even pretty good there anyway. If he's terrible, why did they recruit him? And if they used bad judgement in recruiting him, it seems reasonable that they are using bad judgement in who they are choosing to play the games.
          That's not really how it works. Heaps was the #1 QB and he blows. Lark was a high-3-mid-4-star guy, so clearly a lot of people thought he had potential. Nevertheless, I don't actually trust the judgment of these coaches, so you may be right that Lark needs a shot. Lark has a strong arm, has been in the program longer than either of the QBs getting PT, and could potentially be a game-control style QB for us. I'll state again for the record that I would prefer some combination of Nelson and Lark next year to give Heaps the best chance of developing before his eligibility runs out. If Heaps doesn't want to redshirt and threatens to transfer, all the more reason to not play him.

          Comment

          • smokymountainrain
            Impressive Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22593

            #260
            Originally posted by woot View Post
            That's not really how it works. Heaps was the #1 QB and he blows. Lark was a high-3-mid-4-star guy, so clearly a lot of people thought he had potential. Nevertheless, I don't actually trust the judgment of these coaches, so you may be right that Lark needs a shot. Lark has a strong arm, has been in the program longer than either of the QBs getting PT, and could potentially be a game-control style QB for us. I'll state again for the record that I would prefer some combination of Nelson and Lark next year to give Heaps the best chance of developing before his eligibility runs out. If Heaps doesn't want to redshirt and threatens to transfer, all the more reason to not play him.
            I think this is all I'm saying. Here's what we know:

            1. Heaps isn't getting it done.
            2. While Nelson has heart and toughness, he can't throw the ball.

            I think that is enough reason to throw Lark in there and see what he can do. He has the physical tools and was good enough in HS that he should get an opportunity on a team without another decent option at QB.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18763

              #261
              Heaps = J.D. McCoy
              Nelson = Matt Saracen
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #262
                Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                Heaps = J.D. McCoy
                Nelson = Matt Saracen
                You get the same score as Sizzle last night: a big FNFail.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • MartyFunkhouser
                  Disciple of RNGesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 18763

                  #263
                  Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  You get the same score as Sizzle last night: a big FNFail.
                  Fail isn't quite right. Probably more of a C grade. Heaps is pretty much dead on for J.D. McCoy. Nelson as Saracen is a bit of a stretch, I'll admit that. Saracen actually had the ability to throw the ball. However, the Nelson long completion on the last drive was not that far off from Saracen's heave at the end of episode 1.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #264
                    Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    Fail isn't quite right. Probably more of a C grade. Heaps is pretty much dead on for J.D. McCoy. Nelson as Saracen is a bit of a stretch, I'll admit that. Saracen actually had the ability to throw the ball. However, the Nelson long completion on the last drive was not that far off from Saracen's heave at the end of episode 1.
                    No. This is the worst part of the analogy.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #265
                      It's the coaching. Keith Price was a low BCS, mid-major recruit. Look how he's doing compared to Heaps.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • Green Monstah
                        Royal Rooter
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 13981

                        #266
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        It's the coaching. Keith Price was a low BCS, mid-major recruit. Look how he's doing compared to Heaps.
                        You're absolutely right.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                        "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                        Comment

                        • UteStar
                          Sexiest Poster in Town
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2419

                          #267
                          2010, out of 116 quarterbacks
                          #38 Jordan Wynn: 139.9
                          #98 Jake Heaps: 116.2

                          2011, out of 119 quarterbacks
                          #81 Jordan Wynn, 123.2
                          #113 Jake Heaps, 97.7

                          Both quarterbacks have had their QB rating drop by about the same percentage, about 10-15% drop from the previous year.

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #268
                            In his interview with DJ and PK, Harmon mentioned that Jake was restricted from practicing over the summer due to a medical problem (Heaps talks starts @ 10:20). Maybe I've been on outer space, but this is the first I've heard of this.

                            Comment

                            • woot
                              Resident Science Cop
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5531

                              #269
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              In his interview with DJ and PK, Harmon mentioned that Jake was restricted from practicing over the summer due to a medical problem (Heaps talks starts @ 10:20). Maybe I've been on outer space, but this is the first I've heard of this.
                              His rib injury from last season was described as being pretty serious. Maybe it took a few months to heal?

                              Comment

                              • oxcoug
                                Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 5309

                                #270
                                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                In his interview with DJ and PK, Harmon mentioned that Jake was restricted from practicing over the summer due to a medical problem (Heaps talks starts @ 10:20). Maybe I've been on outer space, but this is the first I've heard of this.

                                Hmmm weird. There was some post on CB not that long ago being about Jake having some undisclosed issues over the summer.

                                But that's very odd - I mean - we never heard about him not practicing did we? So what was the restriction?
                                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                                It can't all be wedding cake.

                                Comment

                                Working...