BYU vs. Air Force

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #346
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    But would a coach willingly lose a conference game just to win that debate? I'd be angry if I were a BYU fan and thought that was going on.
    With the way the defense played yesterday, Jim McMahon couldn't have brought the cougars back to win.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #347
      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      But would a coach willingly lose a conference game just to win that debate? I'd be angry if I were a BYU fan and thought that was going on.
      That game was already lost. That's why I'm hoping Anae was just trying to make some good come out of it.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #348
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        That game was already lost. That's why I'm hoping Anae was just trying to make some good come out of it.
        OK, that makes more sense. I didn't see the game.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • Portland Ute
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 5647

          #349
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          That game was already lost. That's why I'm hoping Anae was just trying to make some good come out of it.
          The game was already lost? Down 7 at halftime? Really?

          That kind of thinking, if true, on the part of your coaching staff, would worry me more than the Riley/Heaps debate.

          Comment

          • scottie
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 5247

            #350
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            That game was already lost. That's why I'm hoping Anae was just trying to make some good come out of it.
            It was 21-14 AFA at halftime.

            Comment

            • All-American
              Right, as Usual
              • Nov 2008
              • 15669

              #351
              The bane of mendenhall trams in the last three years is that when the going gets tough, they are as likely to fly apart like glass as to hold together and prevail. It sounds like we have the individual parts necessary to win games such as that of yesterday, but fell to pieces when they turned on the heat. How to fix that, I don't know.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #352
                I'm sorry, but that game was over. Everyone in the game thread was basically saying the same thing. Once we came out and laid another dud in our first possession, that game was history. We hadn't had a respectable drive since the first quarter and the Fly Boys were just ripping apart our defense and had absolute control of the game.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69717

                  #353
                  Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                  But would a coach willingly lose a conference game just to win that debate? I'd be angry crazy if I were a BYU fan and thought stupid enough to think that was going on.
                  Fixed it for you.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69717

                    #354
                    Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    The bane of mendenhall trams in the last three years is that when the going gets tough, they are as likely to fly apart like glass as to hold together and prevail. It sounds like we have the individual parts necessary to win games such as that of yesterday, but fell to pieces when they turned on the heat. How to fix that, I don't know.
                    I don't think that is fair. We have won quite a few close games in the last three years.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69717

                      #355
                      Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      I'm sorry, but that game was over. Everyone in the game thread was basically saying the same thing. Once we came out and laid another dud in our first possession, that game was history. We hadn't had a respectable drive since the first quarter and the Fly Boys were just ripping apart our defense and had absolute control of the game.
                      Sorry, but that is just nonsense.

                      Diluigi holds on the ball and we would have had an additional seven. Chambers dropped two catchable balls in the end zone. Field position was terrible with our punting game. Turn a few key plays around, get some momentum and confidence, and the outcome could have been entirely different. To say that it was over early in the third quarter is silly.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #356
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I don't think that is fair. We have won quite a few close games in the last three years.
                        Agreed. BYU's problem under Mendenhall is the ability to come back. But they certainly win the close games.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #357
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Sorry, but that is just nonsense.

                          Diluigi holds on the ball and we would have had an additional seven. Chambers dropped two catchable balls in the end zone. Field position was terrible with our punting game. Turn a few key plays around, get some momentum and confidence, and the outcome could have been entirely different. To say that it was over early in the third quarter is silly.
                          Ding ding ding.

                          Comment

                          • All-American
                            Right, as Usual
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 15669

                            #358
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I don't think that is fair. We have won quite a few close games in the last three years.
                            It's a little harsh, yes, but that's the thing. We either hold together and prevail or fall apart. When things start going south, we don't seem to be able to hang in there and make a game of it.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                            Comment

                            • Commando
                              Explosivo
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 20748

                              #359
                              yeah- that was the hallmark of LaVelle's teams. I was never worried as long as we were within 17 going into the 4th in those days.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #360
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Fixed it for you.
                                I know, I was just getting my hopes up.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...