Information on the ESPN deal.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tim
    Not Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 4390

    #46
    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The Pac 10 could end up on FSN Medford, the WAC is basically done and Boise is going to the MWC to be broadcast on Zapruder Sports. BYU could end up being one of ESPN's only college football broadcasting options in the two western time zones.
    I know you've said it a number of times now, and I'm not sure if you were the person who originally coined it, but I have to tell you that I laugh whenever I see a reference to the mtn. as something Zapruder-related. That's genuinely funny.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

    Comment

    • Flystripper
      Degenerate Gambler
      • Nov 2008
      • 14089

      #47
      Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      I can't imagine a scenario where a public company would have to disclose the details of an individual deal. They have to report rolled up numbers on financial statements but nothing this detailed (or even close).
      They would have to report it if it was material but even 20 mill is a rounding error on Disney's financials.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

      Comment

      • Flystripper
        Degenerate Gambler
        • Nov 2008
        • 14089

        #48
        Originally posted by RedSox View Post
        Don't take me the wrong way, but I'm pretty sure BYU has nothing that ESPN desires by way of broadcasting technology.
        It isn't that ESPN can't get what BYU has in the west. I am sure ESPN has access to their own truck and I am sure they lease whatever equipment they need when broadcasting all over the country. However, the fact that BYU already has this equipment saves ESPN money in terms of logistics and leasing costs. I am sure that these savings were part of the negotiation with ESPN and that is a good reason why BYU is able to get above what many people believe is market rate for their football team from a revenue perspective.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #49
          This doesn't necessarily play into the dollars and cents side of things, but I believe maybe the main reason ESPN was so willing to work a deal with BYU is that this is a try out of sorts. Some have said that BYU is essentially trying out for a position in the Big-12. I actually think it may be the opposite. This is a try out for ESPN to see how the independent situation works out. I really think more independents are coming and they will be bigger fish. ESPN wants to have this BYU deal in their portfolio to show potential teams - Texas, Florida, USC, et. BYU is a relatively small player compared to the big boys and likely a good partner for ESPN to team with in testing the independent waters.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • Flystripper
            Degenerate Gambler
            • Nov 2008
            • 14089

            #50
            Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            This doesn't necessarily play into the dollars and cents side of things, but I believe maybe the main reason ESPN was so willing to work a deal with BYU is that this is a try out of sorts. Some have said that BYU is essentially trying out for a position in the Big-12. I actually think it may be the opposite. This is a try out for ESPN to see how the independent situation works out. I really think more independents are coming and they will be bigger fish. ESPN wants to have this BYU deal in their portfolio to show potential teams - Texas, Florida, USC, et. BYU is a relatively small player compared to the big boys and likely a good partner for ESPN to team with in testing the independent waters.
            Could be which would be par for the course since were were ESPN's Thursday night test subject as well.
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

            Comment

            • jay santos
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 13652

              #51
              Read through this thread to see a way to translate ratings into TV revenue.



              I updated this kind of by looking at new TV bowl contracts and ratings. I figure this model is on the conservative side for today's TV contracts.

              Basically total TV revenue is close to a 1:1 relationship with ratings for college football games.

              Va Tech/Boise State had a 6.8 rating, which means it was worth $6.8M to ESPN.

              I'll bet BYU went into negotiations with this kind of concept. "We can deliver four good TV games per year Boise State, Texas, Notre Dame, Army, Utah for example that will average a rating of 4-5 if you market them and put them in good time slot and that will be worth X amount." ($20M sounds high but like others said, who knows what that includes or even if it's an annual number) I'm guessing the true value to ESPN for those four games is at least $10M and BYU ended up with at least half that.

              Also, the HD truck makes for great smack but I really doubt it played into the picture a whole lot. If it did, it could be quantified and I have a hard time thinking the profit BYU would make (since it has costs sharing equipment like that) on that would be more than $1M per year.

              But really, who cares? And why is Top Ute so mad about it?

              Comment

              • wally
                <><><><><><><><>
                • Jun 2010
                • 4137

                #52
                Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                The Pac 10 could end up on FSN Medford, the WAC is basically done and Boise is going to the MWC to be broadcast on Zapruder Sports. BYU could end up being one of ESPN's only college football broadcasting options in the two western time zones.
                But I can't help but wonder if ESPN is eventually rendered to a status roughly equivalent to Versus. NFL, NBA, Major College Sports are all forming their own networks and I assume there is some pillaging of ESPN talent along the way.

                I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just looking at trends and making general observations, but I can only think that ESPN is weaker when other media options are stronger.

                I don't even have ESPN. I only need Versus and Zapruder Sports to get the sports that are relavent to me.

                Comment

                • Medfordcoug
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 157

                  #53
                  [QUOTE=Color Me Badd Fan;418656]What part of my post is incorrect (maybe I was stretching it with FSN Medford, perhaps FSN Redding would be more apt?).

                  Hey, don't discount Medford especially when compared to Redding. The only thing it has going for it is In-n-Out. Ok, so that is a big plus, but one day we might get one and then watch out Redding.

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Medfordcoug View Post
                    Hey, don't discount Medford especially when compared to Redding. The only thing it has going for it is In-n-Out. Ok, so that is a big plus, but one day we might get one and then watch out Redding.
                    More importantly you have one of the great HS mascots ever, the Black Tornados. Though it is still not as awesome and poltically incorrect as the Richland WA Bombers (yes that is a logo of an atomic bomb...awesome!!!)

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #55
                      I did hear that Bronco and Holmoe got free lifetime passes to EuroDisney out of the deal, individual pass though they still have to pay for the family.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • wally
                        <><><><><><><><>
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 4137

                        #56
                        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        More importantly you have one of the great HS mascots ever, the Black Tornados. Though it is still not as awesome and poltically incorrect as the Richland WA Bombers (yes that is a logo of an atomic bomb...awesome!!!)

                        This is awesome!! Do they call the pep club "the nukes"?

                        Comment

                        • wally
                          <><><><><><><><>
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 4137

                          #57
                          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          I did hear that Bronco and Holmoe got free lifetime passes to EuroDisney out of the deal, individual pass though they still have to pay for the family.
                          Does the pass include meals?

                          Comment

                          • Medfordcoug
                            Junior Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 157

                            #58
                            More importantly you have one of the great HS mascots ever, the Black Tornados. Though it is still not as awesome and poltically incorrect as the Richland WA Bombers (yes that is a logo of an atomic bomb...awesome!!!)
                            I'm impressed that someone knows the Black Tornados. My kids have all gone to North Medford and for the most part enjoyed their time at North. The youngest is just starting, so hopefully it will be good for him as well.

                            The school district has been good to the LDS kids in they allow for release time seminary. The has been a real blessing for the youth in Medford.

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13955

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              It's hard not to take you the wrong way when you're so wrong. Clearly you didn't watch the press conference at BYU last week in which the ESPN VP working the deal specifically mentioned ESPN's interest in working with BYU's new technical capabilities.
                              Hi Tim. It's nice to see you too.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • Tim
                                Not Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 4390

                                #60
                                Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                                Hi Tim. It's nice to see you too.
                                Oh, come on, that one doesn't count. I wrote that like 13 hours ago!
                                Visca Catalunya Lliure

                                Comment

                                Working...