The Official 2026 BYU Football Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37976

    #316
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post



    My guess is that the main problem right now is that they're including preseason and/or prior season assumptions in their model.

    Comparing BYU's results so far this season against Texas Tech in particular, I see very little other explanation for Mock's model showing so much preference for the Red Raiders over BYU.

    Abilene Christian is a ranked FCS squad while Utah Tech is likely among the worst FCS teams. That said, Abilene kept things a lot closer to Tech than UTU could manage against BYU.

    Arizona is liiely a much better team than Oregon State and I believe the margin of victory in each game was similar. The BYU advantage with regards to those matchups was that they were playing Arizona at home whereas Tech played the Beavers away from home.
    Its always better to pound a beaver at their place.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12365

      #317
      Originally posted by falafel View Post

      Its always better to pound a beaver at their place.
      PK agrees.

      Comment

      • Goatnapper'96
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10924

        #318
        Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        Grow a set you two.

        Arizona has been planning for this game since last season. Their dc said it. Their qb said it. Fifita is also the reigning 1sr team B12 QB. They won 9 games last year.

        I dint know if byu is a CCG team yet, but five losses? STFU.
        My work here is done.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

        Comment

        • Goatnapper'96
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10924

          #319
          I had a blast in Lavell Edwards Stadum. It was hot but the shade hits my seats about 3:00. My wife refuses to stand on 3rd downs and my parking pass was moved to lot 5 and it took me 1 1/4 hours to go from end of the game to getting to Bombay House but in the future I will get dinner up in PC and may just pay to park north of the stadium on somewhere on Canyon or University.

          As far as the game went-not sure I understand football enough to figure out what BYU's defense did in half 2 but whatever it was it worked better than what they did in half 1. That 4th down stop on review, after the let down of the measurement when the BYU defenders seemed to get prematurely excited, was such a blast. BYU sports are in such a great place right now. Such a great atmosphere and great team right now.

          Offensively, I honestly don't think we played well. We were efficient and opportunistic-but I thought the stops AZ got were usually due to mistakes by BYU. Blown blocking assignments, stupid penalties and dropped balls are what killed the drives BYU failed to score. I think the BYU WRs are plenty talented but there are still some experience and familiarity issues they are all working through putting the pieces together into a more coherent whole.

          I think AZ has a decent shot to get ranked at some point. Solid team. BYU was clearly the better team. When BYU went ahead 14-10 I recall thinking this can't be a good sign for BearDownU-they have been the better team but are behind. BYU's tackling in half 1 was bad. But the 2nd half really demonstrated that BYU is just the more physical team and able to control the LOS on both sides of the ball. When you do that you usually win. BYU has chance to win double digit games again and anytime they do that it is a great year. Certainly, I think BYU is talented enough to potentially earn a bid to the CFP playoffs if they stay healthy and get some good luck at the right times.

          Great atmosphere, great team and a great game!
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69689

            #320
            Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            I had a blast in Lavell Edwards Stadum. It was hot but the shade hits my seats about 3:00. My wife refuses to stand on 3rd downs and my parking pass was moved to lot 5 and it took me 1 1/4 hours to go from end of the game to getting to Bombay House but in the future I will get dinner up in PC and may just pay to park north of the stadium on somewhere on Canyon or University.

            As far as the game went-not sure I understand football enough to figure out what BYU's defense did in half 2 but whatever it was it worked better than what they did in half 1. That 4th down stop on review, after the let down of the measurement when the BYU defenders seemed to get prematurely excited, was such a blast. BYU sports are in such a great place right now. Such a great atmosphere and great team right now.

            Offensively, I honestly don't think we played well. We were efficient and opportunistic-but I thought the stops AZ got were usually due to mistakes by BYU. Blown blocking assignments, stupid penalties and dropped balls are what killed the drives BYU failed to score. I think the BYU WRs are plenty talented but there are still some experience and familiarity issues they are all working through putting the pieces together into a more coherent whole.

            I think AZ has a decent shot to get ranked at some point. Solid team. BYU was clearly the better team. When BYU went ahead 14-10 I recall thinking this can't be a good sign for BearDownU-they have been the better team but are behind. BYU's tackling in half 1 was bad. But the 2nd half really demonstrated that BYU is just the more physical team and able to control the LOS on both sides of the ball. When you do that you usually win. BYU has chance to win double digit games again and anytime they do that it is a great year. Certainly, I think BYU is talented enough to potentially earn a bid to the CFP playoffs if they stay healthy and get some good luck at the right times.

            Great atmosphere, great team and a great game!
            I have a parking pass but I never use it. Takes way too long to leave after a game. I park on Timpview Drive and walk. Everybody could use some extra steps, right? Takes me 10-15 minutes, but things move pretty quickly once I get in my car.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21139

              #321
              When I attend games, I'm usually staying with in-laws in Springville, so I'll park in or near the Marriott Center lot and take 900 East southbound. It's not too bad, usually.

              Of course, now that I've posted that, everyone will modify their post-game routes to make it terrible for me going forward.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • SteelBlue
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 8189

                #322
                Does your college football roster cost $8 million or $50 million?

                TLDR: BYU roster estimated $20-$25 million. Seems to be par for top of Big 12 with exception of TT which sits at around $40 million and still spends $10 million less than the biggest brands.

                Comment

                • Northwestcoug
                  Cocked and Loaded
                  • May 2011
                  • 18017

                  #323
                  Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  Does your college football roster cost $8 million or $50 million?

                  TLDR: BYU roster estimated $20-$25 million. Seems to be par for top of Big 12 with exception of TT which sits at around $40 million and still spends $10 million less than the biggest brands.
                  That's a good article.

                  It's all about the Benjamins:

                  Back in the days before name, image and likeness money and the transfer portal, the best predictor of a team’s success was usually its high school recruiting class ranking. Today, it’s the roster budget. A program spending $40 million is expected to beat ones spending half that.
                  At BYU's estimated level, teams have an estimated 5-15% chance to make the playoffs...
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #324
                    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                    That's a good article.

                    It's all about the Benjamins:



                    At BYU's estimated level, teams have an estimated 5-15% chance to make the playoffs...
                    I think BYU does have some advantages in this brave new world in that the LDS demographic provides players many of who legitimately value other aspects of BYU as well. I think BYU is in a position to pay those kids decently while being real competitive for kids who don't value, and perhaps dislike or are uncomfortable with, the atmosphere. Now that we are getting into year 4 of the Big-12 tenure at BYU I am beginning to think that making the CFB playoff is actually attainable far more frequently than I would have expected a few years ago. BYU can consistently be a top tier Big-12 program IMO and that consistency will impact perceptions and provide BYU more grace.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • Northwestcoug
                      Cocked and Loaded
                      • May 2011
                      • 18017

                      #325
                      Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

                      I think BYU does have some advantages in this brave new world in that the LDS demographic provides players many of who legitimately value other aspects of BYU as well. I think BYU is in a position to pay those kids decently while being real competitive for kids who don't value, and perhaps dislike or are uncomfortable with, the atmosphere. Now that we are getting into year 4 of the Big-12 tenure at BYU I am beginning to think that making the CFB playoff is actually attainable far more frequently than I would have expected a few years ago. BYU can consistently be a top tier Big-12 program IMO and that consistency will impact perceptions and provide BYU more grace.
                      Absolutely they are closer now to the playoffs than they were before. The new economics works in any teams' favor that is willing to pay the money.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment

                      • The_Tick
                        Made something of myself
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7291

                        #326
                        Anyone else road tripping to Ft. Collins this weekend? I will be there! Looks like the game is going to be a wet one. Lots of rain forecast.

                        Comment

                        • All-American
                          Right, as Usual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 15664

                          #327
                          It's just up the road for me. I'll be there with family.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                          Comment

                          • Pelado
                            Bald not naked
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 21139

                            #328
                            Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            Anyone else road tripping to Ft. Collins this weekend? I will be there! Looks like the game is going to be a wet one. Lots of rain forecast.
                            I just came here to ask that. Was thinking of grabbing a flight to DEN tomorrow morning and flying back Sunday morning, potentially staying with my uncle in Littleton Saturday night.

                            Do you already have tickets, or thinking to pull a DDD and grab something outside the stadium?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

                            Comment

                            • MartyFunkhouser
                              Disciple of RNGesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 18747

                              #329
                              I would like BYU to lose the football game that they are playing this weekend.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

                              Comment

                              • Bo Diddley
                                Senior
                                • Jul 2012
                                • 18789

                                #330
                                Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                                I would like BYU to lose the football game that they are playing this weekend.
                                Take solace in the fact that my post game exuberance will be tempered by the nagging thought that my friend is going to be disappointed in the result.

                                Comment

                                Working...