Good Riddance

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BoylenOver
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 9146

    #46
    Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
    You would probably be wrong. Utah has never had a 2-for-1 deal with UCLA, and outside of one game in the 1930s, has always operated on a 1-for-1 basis with UCLA.

    http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...trictions=none
    Heck, we haven't played USC in the regular season since 1948; Washington has never traveled to Salt Lake (last game was in 1978); and we've played six consecutive games in Tempe without the Sun Devils coming to Salt Lake (last game in 1993), but we've scheduled home-and-homes with every other PAC-10 program.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

    Comment

    • beefytee
      Board eye candy
      • Mar 2009
      • 7542

      #47
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I think there's a difference if it's an annual thing on an on.
      Is there any instance of an ongoing 2 for 1 series in college football? I've never heard of one.

      Comment

      • KillerDog
        a.k.a. K-dog
        • Feb 2009
        • 4196

        #48
        The rivalry will continue. Utah's administration wants the rivalry as much as BYU's administration does. The rivalry has been good for both schools and will continue to be good for both schools. The only difficulty will be the short period where Utah has already committed to out of conference games and won't have room for another. During those years/year we might see a short break in the rivalry but it is more likely that they postpone one of those games to a later year so the rivalry will continue unbroken. I hope the rivalry will become more about football/basketball and less about religion and politics but I doubt it will.

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #49
          Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
          The rivalry will continue. Utah's administration wants the rivalry as much as BYU's administration does. The rivalry has been good for both schools and will continue to be good for both schools. The only difficulty will be the short period where Utah has already committed to out of conference games and won't have room for another. During those years/year we might see a short break in the rivalry but it is more likely that they postpone one of those games to a later year so the rivalry will continue unbroken. I hope the rivalry will become more about football/basketball and less about religion and politics but I doubt it will.
          There will always be the religion thing. When the Orthodox Baptists quit claiming the LDS are non-christian and a cult, I will have no animosity towards them. The Utes probably feel the same way.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69689

            #50
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            I'm wondering why BYU should be so offended. Before Utah was BCS it probably would have been happy with a 2/1 deal with, say, UCLA.
            I can certainly understand why UCLA wants to avoid Provo:

            [YOUTUBE]dbpaS_3j3C4[/YOUTUBE]
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69689

              #51
              Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              Is there any instance of an ongoing 2 for 1 series in college football? I've never heard of one.
              Come on. This is low-hanging fruit for the new arrogant ute fan shtick. Please don't fall for it.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • beelzebabette
                Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                • Nov 2008
                • 2907

                #52
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Come on. This is low-hanging fruit for the new arrogant ute fan shtick. Please don't fall for it.
                Can you address the proper way to respond to LAU's troll about what comments are sucking the fun out of the rivalry while meanwhile speaking for BYU fans saying they want to quit scheduling Utah State because it's a nothing-to-gain-everything-to-lose proposition instead of just being BORING?

                General consensus seems to be to ignore the bait in the latter instance and mock the first, but I want to make sure I have it right before I pile on.

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #53
                  Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                  Can you address the proper way to respond to LAU's troll about what comments are sucking the fun out of the rivalry while meanwhile speaking for BYU fans saying they want to quit scheduling Utah State because it's a nothing-to-gain-everything-to-lose proposition instead of just being BORING?

                  General consensus seems to be to ignore the bait in the latter instance and mock the first, but I want to make sure I have it right before I pile on.
                  I really did not mean to troll. I was simply in a bad mood. Today the world looks brighter.

                  As for USU-BYU in football, I was just repeating what BYU fans close to me have told me. I stand ready to be corrected.

                  Now, if you pile on, try to avoid my right knee. It's been a little sore lately.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69689

                    #54
                    Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                    Can you address the proper way to respond to LAU's troll about what comments are sucking the fun out of the rivalry while meanwhile speaking for BYU fans saying they want to quit scheduling Utah State because it's a nothing-to-gain-everything-to-lose proposition instead of just being BORING?

                    General consensus seems to be to ignore the bait in the latter instance and mock the first, but I want to make sure I have it right before I pile on.
                    Yeah, LA Ute's comparison of BYU to Utah State was hilarious. Even funnier if it turns out he was serious.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • wally
                      <><><><><><><><>
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 4137

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I can certainly understand why UCLA wants to avoid Provo:
                      Meanwhile, Florida State is considering a venue change from tallahassee to provo for 2010. :stirthepot:

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69689

                        #56
                        Originally posted by wally View Post
                        Meanwhile, Florida State is considering a venue change from tallahassee to provo for 2010. :stirthepot:
                        touche'
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #57
                          Originally posted by USS Utah
                          I don't want the rivalry to go away. I want the self-righteous zoobs and bigoted zoots to go away.
                          Calling someone else self-righteous is a pretty self-righteous thing to do.

                          Comment

                          • wally
                            <><><><><><><><>
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 4137

                            #58
                            Originally posted by mUUser View Post
                            Count me as one who would love to see the rivalry take a much needed vacation. Anytime religion or politics are injected into the relationship, you can bet the farm that the relationship will turn acidic sooner rather than later.....and this rivalry has had years and years and buckets and buckets full of religious overtones.

                            Its simply become too nasty for my tastes, and I'm a thousand miles and 15 years removed from it.
                            I'm interested in what the opinions are on this. Has a nasty contingent of fans hijacked the rivalry, or is the nastiness a manifestation of existing sentiment in the Utah community?

                            Maybe I should make this the subject of my first poll ever?

                            Comment

                            • jay santos
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 13652

                              #59
                              Originally posted by USS Utah
                              I don't want the rivalry to go away. I want the self-righteous zoobs and bigoted zoots to go away.
                              What about the self righteous Utes?

                              Comment

                              • byu71
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22070

                                #60
                                Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                                What about the self righteous Utes?
                                The abbreviation for that is "ALUF". You need to use the quote marks to distinguish them from your regular ALUF's.

                                Comment

                                Working...