The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #2476
    Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    LA Ute. I am indifferent to whether the PAC-10 is the best football conference or not, but you should be more careful about the language you use. What we find in that table is that in 2010 the PAC-10 had the highest sample mean Sagarin rating. Certainly the mean is not irrelevant but it is not necessarily the best measure of conference quality. Second, I am about 95% confident that the average rating for the PAC-10 and the SEC are statistically indistinguishable from each other. At best one can say that while the PAC-10 had a higher mean rating, we cannot reject the hypothesis that the PAC-10 and the SEC have equal mean quality.
    I was hoping for something illuminating like that from you.

    Seriously, thanks. My point was that the PAC-10 looks purty darn good in the Sagarin ratings, and that the hurtful things often said about that conference are uncalled-for, and borderline mean-spirited.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Comment

    • USCoug
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 249

      #2477
      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      I would agree with that. Is Ohio St. eligible this year? Who is the best team in that conference this year?
      Wisconsin is the early favorite.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #2478
        Originally posted by pelagius View Post
        LA Ute....you should be more careful about the language you use.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • NorthwestUteFan
          אלוף
          • Oct 2010
          • 3384

          #2479
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          I was hoping for something illuminating like that from you.

          Seriously, thanks. My point was that the PAC-10 looks purty darn good in the Sagarin ratings, and that the hurtful things often said about that conference are uncalled-for, and borderline mean-spirited.
          No kidding. I thought this thread was talking about the Big TejasXII?

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37996

            #2480
            Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            I was hoping for something illuminating like that from you.

            Seriously, thanks. My point was that the PAC-10 looks purty darn good in the Sagarin ratings, and that the hurtful things often said about that conference are uncalled-for, and borderline mean-spirited.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • YOhio
              Hipster Mode
              • Nov 2008
              • 26165

              #2481
              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              My point was that the PAC-10 looks purty darn good in the Sagarin ratings, and that the hurtful things often said about that conference are uncalled-for, and borderline mean-spirited.
              No. Pelagius said that you're the one who needs to be careful with the language you use. Not everyone else.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #2482
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37996

                  #2483
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Its called :justinsorensen:
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                    Time to camp
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26082

                    #2484
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    Ahem.

                    In January 2011 Sagarin rated the PAC-10 the top football conference:



                    Fire away.
                    TripletDaddy has hitched his wagon to the B12, no sense trying to get him to be fair.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #2485
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      First, I'm glad you like that emoticon so much. You are welcome.

                      Second, what's the matter with you? You're Mr. Trojan Fan around here. How can you stand by while people denigrate the PAC-12???

                      Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      This was before adding Utah and Colorado, right?
                      Well, yes, I believe I said something like this:

                      In January 2011 Sagarin rated the PAC-10 ....
                      So your premise is right. You get an "F" in pertinence, however. Keep this up and it's going to affect your grade.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #2486
                        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        TripletDaddy has hitched his wagon to the B12, no sense trying to get him to be fair.
                        This is the only wagon in the B12 kie2:
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • All-American
                          Right, as Usual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 15674

                          #2487
                          Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                          Perhaps. But I don't think there is a MWC team capable of winning the Big Ten this year either (or any year).
                          I seem to remember the MWC champion beating the Big 10 champion in the rose bowl last year.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #2488
                            Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                            First, I'm glad you like that emoticon so much. You are welcome.

                            Second, what's the matter with you? You're Mr. Trojan Fan around here. How can you stand by while people denigrate the PAC-12???
                            I thought they were denigrating you, hence my inaction. My bad!
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • YOhio
                              Hipster Mode
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26165

                              #2489
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              This is the only wagon in the B12 kie2:
                              IT'S A SCHOOOOOOONER!

                              Comment

                              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                                Time to camp
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26082

                                #2490
                                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                IT'S A SCHOOOOOOONER!
                                It is always fun to see the Longhorn's pulling that thing around wherever they want. One of the best traditions in college football, I'm sure DDD agrees.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

                                Comment

                                Working...