2011 BYU recruiting........

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BGRTHNUMEGO
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 3670

    #631
    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    If I could return to this thread, why play Spencer Hadley this year at ILB if he is not a starter? I hearken back to the decision to play Bryan Kehl in 2005 as a backup at OLB. How much better would BYU have been in 2008 if Bryan would have still had one more year of elgibility. With the linebacker situation as it is, is Spencer going to provide any better play than BYU could not get from Ogletree, Jorgenson and Leing-Wei? Now as I read the tea leaves the BYU ILB position is more adequately stacked for future use than what the BYU OLB was post Bryan Kehl, but I wonder if it will be a wasted year for Spencer to play a back up role. Let him RS and then play a back up role with limited reps next year and then after Kaveinga, Jorgenson and Ogletree graduate he will be more than ready to step into one of the starting positions. Just seems to me a dumb allocation of resources. I give for an example Uona Kaveinga, I was glad he was not allowed to play last year. He would not have made much of a difference on last year's team as the offense was going to struggle regardless if he was on the field or not. However, I doubt the offense is going to struggle when Uona is a senior in 2012.
    If he really was pushing Tree during spring fresh off his mission it doesn't seem too far fetched to believe that Hadley could wrestle that starting spot away. And if entering fall camp or the first game, if Hadley is listed as "or" on the depth chart then I think that shows he is a significant upgrade over what the other MLB options would be this season and thus he should be played. If he's the 3rd best MLB on the team you don't redshirt him. Especially now that Stout is going to redshirt.

    I tend to think that if a player is in the 2 deep at his position he doesn't redshirt, assuming that someone who is only 1 month removed from his mission won't crack the 2 deep yet. Never knowing what next year brings, maximize what this year could be, and then hope that on field success couples with on screen exposure to bring in more Hadley's, or upgrades to Hadley, in the future.
    Last edited by BGRTHNUMEGO; 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM.

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #632
      It appears Butch Pau'u and Jherremya Douyere committed to Bronco tonight.

      Comment

      • MarkGrace
        Grooveshark dick tease
        • Dec 2008
        • 31546

        #633
        Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        It appears Butch Pau'u and Jherremya Douyere committed to Bronco tonight.
        Nice. That would be great.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

        Comment

        • cougjunkie
          *Banned*
          • Nov 2008
          • 23223

          #634
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Nice. That would be great.
          Butch has some legit offers Nebraska, Oregon St., Washington, Iowa St., TAMU. Jheremya is a bit of an unknown.
          *Banned*

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #635
            Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            Butch has some legit offers Nebraska, Oregon St., Washington, Iowa St., TAMU.
            Jheremya is a bit of an unknown.
            I'm trying to find stuff on him right now and not coming up with much. Does BYU intend on using him as a FB?
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #636
              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              I'm trying to find stuff on him right now and not coming up with much. Does BYU intend on using him as a FB?
              I have no clue, all I know is what it says on Scout.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • LiveCoug
                LA Ute loves me
                • Nov 2008
                • 18488

                #637
                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                I'm trying to find stuff on him right now and not coming up with much. Does BYU intend on using him as a FB?


                Not much out there, but here are a couple vids...

                Comment

                • BGRTHNUMEGO
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 3670

                  #638
                  Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  I'm trying to find stuff on him right now and not coming up with much. Does BYU intend on using him as a FB?
                  GMan tweeted he'll be an OLB.

                  Comment

                  • BGRTHNUMEGO
                    Junior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 3670

                    #639
                    Class breakdown by state so far:

                    UT - 5
                    CA - 4
                    FL - 2
                    ID - 2
                    AZ - 1
                    WA - 1

                    Comment

                    • HBCoug
                      Peanut Gallery Asshat
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 2082

                      #640
                      Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                      Class breakdown by state so far:

                      UT - 5
                      CA - 4
                      FL - 2
                      ID - 2
                      AZ - 1
                      WA - 1
                      Boom Boom Pau'u! This has been a foregone conclusion for a while I guess, but it's always good to have it be official -- at least as official as it can be until they actually sign. One thing I thought was interesting that relates to BGR's post here, of the four kids who have committed to either BYU or Utah who held offers from both schools, the two Ute commits are from Utah while the two BYU commits are from out of state. I don't read anything into that -- just thought it was interesting.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #641
                        Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                        Class breakdown by state so far:

                        UT - 5
                        CA - 4
                        FL - 2
                        ID - 2
                        AZ - 1
                        WA - 1
                        Correlated with LDS populations by state...

                        LDS population data is from here.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Jacob
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 6801

                          #642
                          Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                          One thing I thought was interesting that relates to BGR's post here, of the four kids who have committed to either BYU or Utah who held offers from both schools, the two Ute commits are from Utah while the two BYU commits are from out of state. I don't read anything into that -- just thought it was interesting.
                          If they are LDS, it makes sense. A Utah LDS kid is comfortable in Utah and has some attachment to the school, so he might chose the Utes. An out of state LDS kid is not often going to choose Utah. The only reason he is considering the State at all is because of BYU. He'd nedd some other connection to the U to chose them over BYU.

                          Comment

                          • New Mexican Disaster
                            Suomalainen
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4549

                            #643
                            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Correlated with LDS populations by state...

                            LDS population data is from here.

                            The Mormon data on that site is not the best. 71k in Tennessee? No way. The official numbers are obviously not perfect either, but some of those states are not close.

                            Comment

                            • HBCoug
                              Peanut Gallery Asshat
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 2082

                              #644
                              Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                              If they are LDS, it makes sense. A Utah LDS kid is comfortable in Utah and has some attachment to the school, so he might chose the Utes. An out of state LDS kid is not often going to choose Utah. The only reason he is considering the State at all is because of BYU. He'd nedd some other connection to the U to chose them over BYU.
                              All true. Of the four, the only non-LDS kid (Dimick) is from Utah. It would be interesting to compare non-LDS BYU commits from the state of Utah to LDS UofU commits from outside the state of Utah, who held offers from both schools.

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #645
                                Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                                The Mormon data on that site is not the best. 71k in Tennessee? No way. The official numbers are obviously not perfect either, but some of those states are not close.
                                Yeah, I was kind of surprised about that and North Carolina as well. Where does one find the "official" numbers?

                                In any case, it is surprising that BYU has two commits from the sunshine state. Maybe playing FSU had some benefit with regards to recruiting.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...