TCU 09 best team in MWC history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCU 09 best team in MWC history?

In my opinion this year's TCU team is the best the MWC has ever produced. Unless they somehow choke on their own vomit these next 2 games I say that regardless of their bowl outcome. I honestly think they would win 10 out 10 games against every other team in the league. I don't think that was the case for Utah in 04 or 09, or for those with blue goggles BYU 01.
    BYU 2001
    4.76%
    Utah 2004
    19.05%
    Utah 2008
    4.76%
    TCU 2009
    36.51%
    Too early to tell
    34.92%

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    In my opinion this year's TCU team is the best the MWC has ever produced. Unless they somehow choke on their own vomit these next 2 games I say that regardless of their bowl outcome. I honestly think they would win 10 out 10 games against every other team in the league. I don't think that was the case for Utah in 04 or 09, or for those with blue goggles BYU 01.
    Get out of here, you Ute hater. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Why, pray tell, would a two-loss 2001 BYU team be in the running?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

Agreed. If you are going with a BYU team, go with 2006 team. Still, TCU 2009 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        Agreed. If you are going with a BYU team, go with 2006 team. Still, TCU 2009 wins.
        Let's see how TCU does in its bowl game.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

This TCU team is far and away the best MWC team thus far.

At this stage in the season, 2004 Utah wasn't anywhere near the ranking and status as TCU 2009. Also, TCU 2009 has played a much better schedule than 2004 Utah. TCU 2009 has been on GameDay twice so far this season. At this stage, 2004 Utah hadn't been on once.

Obviously if TCU loses one of its final two games, it is out of the discussion, but so far, there is no competition.

This TCU team is amazing.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Every once in awhile I agree with SU. This is one of those times.
            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Yes we will, and when they beat Texas somehow it won't match that stellar Pitt win.
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I heard someone say this, and I've been debating it myself.

It comes down to the Utes of '04 and the '09 Frogs.

Yes, the Utes weren't ranked as high, but that's because the MWC didn't get the respect they are getting now. Had that '04 team started with the respect that the MWC teams are getting now, there's no doubt in my mind they would be ranked higher than they were in '04. The only real knock is that they didn't have anyone big on their schedule. TAMU was the only real name, and they pretty much stunk up the place.

That '04 team was pretty awesome. A lot of NFL players off of that team (5 I think). Still, TCU looks pretty dominant.

That'd be one helluva game either way.

U-Ute

Comment

The biggest thing is that TCU '09 has going for them is that no other non-BCS teams that have went undefeated have played the schedule that they played this year. They went and beat a really good Clemson team at their place and completely destroyed decent BYU and Utah teams. Throw in wins vs. bowl bound teams in SMU and Air Force to top it off.

I will say we need to see how it plays out with their bowl game. The unfortunate thing for the Utes '04 was they didn't ever get tested. A&M was a decent opening game that year but every game after that was against very weak teams. They were also given a bowl match up with a team that should have been playing in a bowl game that was before Christmas and not a BCS game.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                    I heard someone say this, and I've been debating it myself.

It comes down to the Utes of '04 and the '09 Frogs.

Yes, the Utes weren't ranked as high, but that's because the MWC didn't get the respect they are getting now. Had that '04 team started with the respect that the MWC teams are getting now, there's no doubt in my mind they would be ranked higher than they were in '04. The only real knock is that they didn't have anyone big on their schedule. TAMU was the only real name, and they pretty much stunk up the place.

That '04 team was pretty awesome. A lot of NFL players off of that team (5 I think). Still, TCU looks pretty dominant.

That'd be one helluva game either way.

U-Ute
                    Wasn't Alex Smith on that team?

He's in the NFL still. did you count him?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                      Yes, the Utes weren't ranked as high, but that's because the MWC didn't get the respect they are getting now.
                      Nor did it deserve it at the time. The MWC wasn't nearly as good as it is now. The addition of TCU and the loss of Gary Crowton has made it better. All the other teams are pretty much the same as they were during the earlier part of this decade.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        I included the BYU team for all the "Guests" who come over from CB to lurk. (Can you vote in a poll if you aren't logged in?). I thought the 06 team was still the WAC. Am I getting my years confused, wasn't that when the Wyoming coach pulled a Bellicheck and handed the conference championship to BYU by taking a stupid safety on purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          I included the BYU team for all the "Guests" who come over from CB to lurk. (Can you vote in a poll if you aren't logged in?). I thought the 06 team was still the WAC. Am I getting my years confused, wasn't that when the Wyoming coach pulled a Bellicheck and handed the conference championship to BYU by taking a stupid safety on purpose?
                          That was 1996, I think vs Wyoming. The Sark year when BYU went to the Cotton Bowl for New Years Day and beat K State in a thriller (almost a decade before the Utes coattailed BYU's groundbreaking success and meandered into Tempe to play some lowly ranked, unskilled Pitt team).

That Cotton Bowl team was a record breaker.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            That was 1996, I think vs Wyoming. The Sark year when BYU went to the Cotton Bowl for New Years Day and beat K State in a thriller (almost a decade before the Utes coattailed BYU's groundbreaking success and meandered into Tempe to play some lowly ranked, unskilled Pitt team).

That Cotton Bowl team was a record breaker.
                            Oh I misread which team LC was referring to. I always thought the 06 was a good team, but not necessarily on of the greats in BYU history. 2001 was a very very good, possibly even a great team pre-Staley injury. 96 was a great team, maybe even the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Wasn't Alex Smith on that team?

He's in the NFL still. did you count him?
                              By a quick off the top of the head count:

Alex Smith, Eric Weddle, Chris Kemoeatu, Paris Warren, and Sione Pouha.

I may be forgetting someone.

U-Ute

Comment

Working...
                              X