The state of BYU football

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #61
    Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    We can only pray that BYU's defense is better than San Jose Freaking State.
    Rivalry game, and Utah gets progressively better as the season goes on.

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #62
      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      lol. I call him Major Payne and I think it's funny- no one else thinks it's funny.

      I think the lack of players on the team from the Crowton's last two seasons is troubling. Think about it, guys recruited during the 2003 and 2004 seasons should be juniors and seniors this year even without a redshirt when taking missions into account. There are two ways to look at this: 1) There aren't that many players recruited by Gary Crowton that are still on this team so Crowton isn't hurting the program anymore; or 2) Why aren't there more players that were recruited during those two seasons that are still on the team.

      But Mendenhall still hasn't fielded his most talented teams. 10+win seasons yield better recruiting results, that's undeniable. Although Crowton may not have directly influenced BYU's lack of talent issues, the lack of success during his tenure did influence the level of talent that BYU could bring in during the first year or two of Bronco's tenure. If I were the father of a recruit, a 6-6 followed by a 11-2 mark wouldn't be enough. I would want to see a longer track record, but I think Bronco has established that.

      I think BYU is going to win the remainder of its regular season games, including Utah. That means another 10+ win season. Eventually BYU will have another Kehl-Jensen combo in the LB corps and the defense will be respectable again.
      Come on. Bronco didn't go after those guys you said didn't come because of our record. At least that is my opinion. I don't think he made much of an attempt to go after non-LDS or AA or JC kids. Winning like he did gave him a false sense of how good he and the program were.

      Before you jump me, he has as much as said so. When he says he didn't realize how far he was behind another team or he didn't realize what level his team was at, that speaks volumes.

      Again, Utah and TCU have done us a favor and done what a lot of fans couldn't do.. They have convinced Bronco winning the MWC and beating mediocre teams and losing your BCS games isn't good enough.

      Comment

      • WashingtonCoug
        Monsters like me
        • Jan 2009
        • 1489

        #63
        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        lol. I call him Major Payne and I think it's funny- no one else thinks it's funny.

        I think the lack of players on the team from the Crowton's last two seasons is troubling. Think about it, guys recruited during the 2003 and 2004 seasons should be juniors and seniors this year even without a redshirt when taking missions into account. There are two ways to look at this: 1) There aren't that many players recruited by Gary Crowton that are still on this team so Crowton isn't hurting the program anymore; or 2) Why aren't there more players that were recruited during those two seasons that are still on the team.

        But Mendenhall still hasn't fielded his most talented teams. 10+win seasons yield better recruiting results, that's undeniable. Although Crowton may not have directly influenced BYU's lack of talent issues, the lack of success during his tenure did influence the level of talent that BYU could bring in during the first year or two of Bronco's tenure. If I were the father of a recruit, a 6-6 followed by a 11-2 mark wouldn't be enough. I would want to see a longer track record, but I think Bronco has established that.

        I think BYU is going to win the remainder of its regular season games, including Utah. That means another 10+ win season. Eventually BYU will have another Kehl-Jensen combo in the LB corps and the defense will be respectable again.
        Bingo!
        "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
        —Abraham Maslow

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #64
          I noticed a ute fan posting about the state of BYU football...I didn't read the thread. I'll go out on a limb here, but something tells me I didn't miss much.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • runnutz
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 21

            #65
            you're correct since

            no matter who that person is if the are a Ute fan there is no way they would know anything about BYU football regardless of who they talk to.

            Comment

            • Brian
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 2164

              #66
              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              I think BYU is going to win the remainder of its regular season games, including Utah. That means another 10+ win season. Eventually BYU will have another Kehl-Jensen combo in the LB corps and the defense will be respectable again.
              KW has shown that he kicks the crap out of BYU with better talent and takes it to the wire with lesser talent.
              2009UU < 2008UU but I still say utah wins by 10+ points.
              I intend to live forever.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #67
                I wish we had Crowton to gameplan our big games like he gameplanned season openers.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #68
                  Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  KW has shown that he kicks the crap out of BYU with better talent and takes it to the wire with lesser talent.
                  2009UU < 2008UU but I still say utah wins by 10+ points.
                  You call one time enough to come up with a judgement like that? at least your lesser talent part of the your conclusion has a two game basis.

                  Maybe you are a homer?

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #69
                    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    I noticed a ute fan posting about the state of BYU football...I didn't read the thread. I'll go out on a limb here, but something tells me I didn't miss much.
                    And if you would have looked at the poster who started the thread you would have definitely known this to be true.
                    Last edited by MarkGrace; 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • runnutz
                      Junior Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 21

                      #70
                      I was under the impression

                      this board was different than cougarboard, my mistake.

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #71
                        Originally posted by runnutz View Post
                        this board was different than cougarboard, my mistake.
                        It is. You are free to express your opinion and others are free to express theirs and Jefe is not here to make sure no one embarasses BYU or the church.

                        Comment

                        • U-Ute
                          Non member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2071

                          #72
                          Originally posted by runnutz View Post
                          this board was different than cougarboard, my mistake.
                          Zoobs are Zoobs, no matter where you go.

                          At least you won't get banned for a WoW MoM joke here...



                          U-Ute

                          Comment

                          • New Mexican Disaster
                            Suomalainen
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4549

                            #73
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            You call one time enough to come up with a judgement like that? at least your lesser talent part of the your conclusion has a two game basis.

                            Maybe you are a homer?
                            Maybe he is a homer? He is the biggest homer of all with a bad case of BYU envy. Not all Utes have it, but the ones that do are transparent.

                            Comment

                            Working...