Lakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #886
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Win or Lose, it is still all about the Lakers
    7.35 million, eh?

    So, how many million didn't watch?
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #887
      Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
      The Rockets are playing out of their heads. It's just an example of what happens when confidence and chemistry are at a high premium.

      However, I don't care what anybody tries to say, they are NOT a better without Yao.

      If The Rockets win tmrw, which they won't, they're gonna get blown out, then it will be one of the more shameful chokejobs (Lakers) by any team in pro sports in quite some time.
      Agreed. They might be better without McGrady, but they aren't better without Yao.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #888
        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
        7.35 million, eh?

        So, how many million didn't watch?
        Way less viewers than Utah/Texas A&M on the first Thursday of the 2004 season. Per Urban.

        (Am I really going to post this? Man I suck even worse than I thought before)
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • scottie
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 5247

          #889
          Kobe: Doin' Work -- athletes who refer to practicing/playing sport as "work", ha. I'll give Kobe the benefit of the doubt and assume the name of the show was Spike Lee's idea.

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #890
            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Way less viewers than Utah/Texas A&M on the first Thursday of the 2004 season. Per Urban.

            (Am I really going to post this? Man I suck even worse than I thought before)
            I don't know what to say.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #891
              Originally posted by scottie View Post
              Kobe: Doin' Work -- athletes who refer to practicing/playing sport as "work", ha. I'll give Kobe the benefit of the doubt and assume the name of the show was Spike Lee's idea.
              Forgive them for they know not what they post.

              "Doin' work" or "puttin' in work" is an urban slang term (often a gang reference) to moving up the ranks from soldier to captain by doing all the dirty work. It is synonymous with "paying your dues." It is common amongst urban blacks and latinos, but not always used exclusively as a gang reference. In a layman usage, it means that you are doing the heavy lifting, doing the grunt work, pulling the weight.

              Gang references almost always mean killing in the name of the set or stealing, dealing, or whatever it is you are asked to do.

              An example of this is in Snoop's recent single, Can't Say Goodbye. I guess it isn't that new because he did it on Unplugged, as well, but the story is of his life as a Crip...and while he went up and out, the street is always a a part of him.

              I guess it's true, you can't take the hood out a homeboy
              plus, my hood just lost another homeboy
              another one got life, and we don't know, if he coming home boy
              They in the street tell me "just leave it alone boy,
              let them do them take care of your own boy"
              But I said back brake a bound, before I was grown boy
              you had dreams of being a dope boy
              yeah, I was runnin' from the po po
              Banging for the turf, late night huntin'
              puttin' in work, good day comin', airbrush, shirt,
              pay day, got the spot, got my hair cut first
              made mom sick when I wouldn't go to church
              yeah I live in the burbs, but I think 21st
              I know since I left that it's gotten much worse
              but I'd still be there, if I couldn't write a verse
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Hsaru
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 1109

                #892
                Yea, I hear the term "doin' work" used as a compliment or bragging on occassion.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #893
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Forgive them for they know not what they post.

                  "Doin' work" or "puttin' in work" is an urban slang term (often a gang reference) to moving up the ranks from soldier to captain by doing all the dirty work. It is synonymous with "paying your dues." It is common amongst urban blacks and latinos, but not always used exclusively as a gang reference. In a layman usage, it means that you are doing the heavy lifting, doing the grunt work, pulling the weight.

                  Gang references almost always mean killing in the name of the set or stealing, dealing, or whatever it is you are asked to do.
                  So, Kobe = thug.

                  Thanks for the confirmation.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #894
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    So, Kobe = thug.

                    Thanks for the confirmation.
                    No. there is a layman usage, as well.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #895
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      No. there is a layman usage, as well.
                      So I should ignore your post where you specifically stated that this was urban slang?

                      Edit: never mind. You did mention layman usage as well, but in Kobe's case, I'll go with the urban definition.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #896
                        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                        So I should ignore your post where you specifically stated that this was urban slang?
                        You could do that. Or you could go back and re-read my post and exercise some basic reading comprehension. It is up to you!

                        Edit: You went back!
                        Last edited by TripletDaddy; 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #897
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          You could do that. Or you could go back and re-read my post and exercise some basic reading comprehension. It is up to you!
                          Notice my edit.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #898
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            Notice my edit.
                            Notice mine.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #899
                              Wow, that was a really boring documentary. I am not even sure it was a documentary, as much as it was simply a replay of the entire game. It should have been called "SAN @ LAL w/commentary by Kobe."

                              I thought this was going to be something else.

                              It was somewhat interesting watching plays unfold and get to see what he sees when he is on the court. But not for 90 minutes.

                              I am not sure what Spike Lee did for this thing. He had a camera crew shoot the game footage, but his footage looked very similar to the standard network footage. Since it was all real-time, there was no directing to be done. Kobe did all the commentary.

                              What a snoozer. Kobe better be doin' work tomorrow. Spike is lucky that he has any work, judging by this latest production.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • scottie
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5247

                                #900
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                Wow, that was a really boring documentary. I am not even sure it was a documentary, as much as it was simply a replay of the entire game. It should have been called "SAN @ LAL w/commentary by Kobe."

                                I thought this was going to be something else.

                                It was somewhat interesting watching plays unfold and get to see what he sees when he is on the court. But not for 90 minutes.

                                I am not sure what Spike Lee did for this thing. He had a camera crew shoot the game footage, but his footage looked very similar to the standard network footage. Since it was all real-time, there was no directing to be done. Kobe did all the commentary.

                                What a snoozer. Kobe better be doin' work tomorrow. Spike is lucky that he has any work, judging by this latest production.
                                Was there much about him doing all the dirty work? (Not being sarcastic, wondering if they even hit the title of the "documentary.")

                                Comment

                                Working...