Official Women's World Cup Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Monstah
    Royal Rooter
    • Aug 2010
    • 13955

    #1

    Official Women's World Cup Thread

    Come on ladies and gents, why don't we have a WC thread?

    I've watched parts of three games, and I'm watching the the US/N. Korea game right now.

    Few obsevations:

    1. Less flopping by the women. Respect. The refs seem more willing to "let 'em play".

    2. I'm surprised I'm enjoying watching women's soccer.

    3. I always feel bad when we beat north Korea. I know that the players and coaches will have to endure hard labor and/or public humiliation.

    4. GO USA!!!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson
  • myboynoah
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 21719

    #2
    Yeah, Go USA!

    But I can't escape the feeling that the news media is trying very hard to get me excited about this. Kind of like when the WNBA was formed.

    I watched the first part of the match and felt that our initial few shots on goal, while set up well, lacked any sort of velocity. Even our scoring goals were pretty weak.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

    Comment

    • BoylenOver
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 9146

      #3
      The World Cup is always fun. And based on the little amount of action I've seen, the matches are very well-attended.

      The 1999 final at the Rose Bowl might be in my top 10 most memorable sports moments. I was at my grandparent's house in Colorado, riveted to every minute. When it went to PK's, my immediate family (mom, dad, and two brothers) sat down with me and watched. We cheered when Chastain clinched it.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

      Comment

      • SteelBlue
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 8189

        #4
        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        The 1999 final at the Rose Bowl might be in my top 10 most memorable sports moments.
        Top 10? C'mon.

        Comment

        • myboynoah
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 21719

          #5
          Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
          Top 10? C'mon.
          BO was probably an adolescent boy at that time. Chastain ripped off her shirt after putting in the winning penalty shot and BO was in love.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

          Comment

          • BoylenOver
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 9146

            #6
            Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            Top 10? C'mon.
            There are certainly 10 sporting events (probably more) that occurred during my lifetime that I treasure more highly than a Women's WC final I watched on TV. And there are certainly 10+ sporting events that carry more significance. But in the context of how much sports meant to me between the ages of 10-17, and in the context of that particular trip during that particular summer, it's among the "most memorable".
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

            Comment

            • BigFatMeanie
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 7113

              #7
              Women's soccer is much more watchable than women's basketball. Call me a sexist if you wish, but watching the WNBA is just painful.

              Comment

              • BigFatMeanie
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 7113

                #8
                Haven't see the USA play yet but I've seen parts of two games on ESPN in the morning when I'm on the treadmill.

                I watched the first half of Japan vs. New Zealand on Monday. Today I watched part of Norway vs. Equatorial Guinea.

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                  The World Cup is always fun. And based on the little amount of action I've seen, the matches are very well-attended.

                  The 1999 final at the Rose Bowl might be in my top 10 most memorable sports moments. I was at my grandparent's house in Colorado, riveted to every minute. When it went to PK's, my immediate family (mom, dad, and two brothers) sat down with me and watched. We cheered when Chastain clinched it.
                  MMM and I were at that Rose Bowl game. I can't remember why we decided to go but it was fun.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Green Monstah
                    Royal Rooter
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13955

                    #10
                    Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    Women's soccer is much more watchable than women's basketball. Call me a sexist if you wish, but watching the WNBA is just painful.
                    Agreed.

                    Speaking of being sexist, I'm pretty sure that the US and Canada are the only countries where attractive women play soccer at the highest level. The North Koreans were fast and talented, but they were all sweet spirits in a special way.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                    Comment

                    • BoylenOver
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9146

                      #11
                      Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                      The North Koreans were fast and talented, but they were all sweet spirits in a special way.
                      Their average age is 20, perv.
                      Last edited by BoylenOver; 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                      Comment

                      • EuropeanFootballMale
                        Karate/Friendship Master
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 1339

                        #12
                        Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                        Agreed.

                        Speaking of being sexist, I'm pretty sure that the US and Canada are the only countries where attractive women play soccer at the highest level. The North Koreans were fast and talented, but they were all sweet spirits in a special way.
                        Do yourself a favor and check out the Scandanavian teams

                        Comment

                        • pellegrino
                          miserere me
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 12100

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          Top 10? C'mon.
                          dude, you're forgetting that he was 12 and Brandi Chastain took off her shirt.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

                          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                          pelagius

                          Comment

                          • BoylenOver
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 9146

                            #14
                            Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                            dude, you're forgetting that he was 12 and Brandi Chastain took off her shirt.
                            MBN would be proud to know you're a student of his work.
                            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #15
                              Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                              MBN would be proud to know you're a student of his work.
                              Proud yes, but not at all surprised.

                              Your talk of being impressed at a young age got me to thinking. I remember about the time I was 12 they had the Summer Olympics in Munich where the U.S. lost the gold medal game to the USSR after three do-overs to end the game. Oh the injustice of it all.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              Working...