2021 MLB playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The Dodgers-Braves series has been great. For some reason, I didn't know that MLB did the same idiotic playoff homefield advantage crap as the NFL-- i.e. screwing over outstanding wildcard with the second best record in the entire league because they happen to be in the division with the team with the best record. The Dodgers won 18 more games than the Braves and they also had to play the Giants in the first round. The NLCS should/could have been Giants vs. Dodgers. The Giants won 107 games only to have to play a team who won 106 games in the first round of the playoffs -- totally stupid.

Of course, the Braves are amply showing they belong -- but MLB needs to reward teams more who have the best regular season records.
    I would like to see the elimination of divisions and a balanced schedule. 9 games against every other team in the league and 3 games against 10 from the other league on a rotating basis but including natural rivals every year. The owners would have to give up 6 games(3 home), but I believe that gates would go up making up for those lost games because there is only so much interest in the 16th, 17th and 18th games between the Orioles and Blue Jays.

Playoffs could still be the same structure, or make the WC a best of 3 and 2nd round best of 7 to offset the other lost games. Without the divisions, the seeding would be solely based on the record and nobody could claim easy or hard divisions because everybody would play the same schedule more or less.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post

I would like to see the elimination of divisions and a balanced schedule. 9 games against every other team in the league and 3 games against 10 from the other league on a rotating basis but including natural rivals every year. The owners would have to give up 6 games(3 home), but I believe that gates would go up making up for those lost games because there is only so much interest in the 16th, 17th and 18th games between the Orioles and Blue Jays.

Playoffs could still be the same structure, or make the WC a best of 3 and 2nd round best of 7 to offset the other lost games. Without the divisions, the seeding would be solely based on the record and nobody could claim easy or hard divisions because everybody would play the same schedule more or less.
      If any sport can eliminate divisions it would be MLB because of the relative large number of games compared to other sports. However, a similar approach can be taken with the NFL. Why not go to a 15-game schedule with every team playing each other only once in their respective conference and get rid of divisions? Wouldn't that be more "fair"? IMO, divisions are one of the reasons that make MLB and the NFL great. While those 16th-18th Orioles-Blue Jays may be of little interest if neither team is in contention, with divisions those same games become vital if both are playing for the AL East Division title. It would also mean fewer Yankees-Red Sox and Giants-Dodgers games. As a Red Sox fan, I'd much rather have those 9 games against the Yankees (they currently play 19 times on the season) than only playing the Yankees 9 games and having 3 additional games against teams like the Angels, Mariners, and Twins.

The only change I would make to MLB post season is to seed the teams by record after the one game wildcard playoff game with the wild card team not having home-field advantage. That way the Dodgers and Giants would have been on opposite sides of the play-off bracket. I think at one time, MLB may have done that because in the 2003 and 2004 seasons, the Red Sox were the wildcard team while the Yankees had the best record in the AL. Yankees-Red Sox played in the ALCS not in the division series during those years.
      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

No matter what anyone says, the Dodgers don’t deserve to be in the World Series. They got pretty much destroyed in the NLCS and should’ve been swept but for a timely Bellinger home run. It’s clear they play on a patsy division. The two best teams are facing off now. Go Stros!
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

and the Dodgers have the worst fans

Comment

Are the astros going to cheat again to win?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Now that Alex Cora has been defeated I can enthusiastically like this post with no hypocrisy whatsoever.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

I hope so. The last win was a lot of fun.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I hope so. The last win was a lot of fun.
                  Haha. Well done.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Couldn’t tell you about any player on the Braves. But I am enjoying this offense against the Astros.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Couldn’t tell you about any player on the Braves. But I am enjoying this offense against the Astros.
                        Jorge Soler. He was playing for my Royals until they traded him this year. I was very sad to see him go.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          They are definitely good. I hope the Astros bats wake up a bit to make the series more interesting.

Comment

That was a solid braves game. But it feels kind of like the ALCS where the best chance to beat the Astros is to strike early and hope they don’t figure out your pitching. Game 2 will be interesting.
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Caught the middle innings at a restaurant. Solid pitching by Atlanta.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Houston is relentless. I thought the game was over with the grand slam but they keep swinging. Bats are starting to wake up after being quiet the last two games.
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X