Originally posted by scottie
View Post
Alex Smith just threw a TD.
Collapse
X
-
good for him. I always thought he could be good as soon as SF got some talent around him. SF now has much more talent than they had during his first few years in the league. It also didn't help that he had a new OC every year.Dyslexics are teople poo...
-
I agree. Alex was never going to be one of those QB's that could single handledly hoist a team and carry it to the promise land. He can thrive on a team with some tools around him. Here is to a new start for him.Originally posted by Flystripper View Postgood for him. I always thought he could be good as soon as SF got some talent around him. SF now has much more talent than they had during his first few years in the league. It also didn't help that he had a new OC every year."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
That may also be the case with Tom Brady but we'll never know.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostI agree. Alex was never going to be one of those QB's that could single handledly hoist a team and carry it to the promise land. He can thrive on a team with some tools around him. Here is to a new start for him.
Comment
-
Such is serendipity that is for certain.Originally posted by Fiyero View PostThat may also be the case with Tom Brady but we'll never know."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
I like Alex Smith. I even had a hard time not liking him at Utah--smart, good kid who was a heck of a QB. Once players leave the U, I have no problem cheering for them. Really, I have no problem cheering for Utah outside of the conference either.At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
-Berry Trammel, 12/3/10
Comment
-
When I was typing in Alex Smith on google, I noticed that a common search is for Alex Smith's wife, and for good reason. I know the guy's got a lot of cash, but he still married out of his league.
Smith has had an unfortunate career and I don't think a majority of it is due to a lack of talent. He was an underclassmen coming out and then he was thrust into the starting lineup. He was the youngest player in the NFL for two years (supposedly, this surprises me). In his second year (2006) under Norv Turner, Smith was beginning to show that he was going to be a solid QB.
Turner is then lured away to San Diego and the offensive coordinator carousel continued. Smith injured his shoulder in 2007 and still played and the stats showed that. It lingered on into 2008 and he was placed on the IR.
Contrast Smith's career with that of Aaron Rodgers. Smith showed enough under Turner in 2006 to indicate that he could have been as good as Rodgers (and maybe that will someday end up happening).
If Smith ends up being good, it will mean everything to the Niners. Crabtree grabbed five receptions for 56 yards in his first NFL game after only two weeks of preparation. Although it's not a sure thing, Crabtree looks like he could be solid. Add in Frank Gore and Vernon Davis and the Niners don't lack for skill players. The jury is out on the o-line. Either they suck or Shaun Hill made them look bad. The defense was stellar the first four weeks but hasn't looked good in the past two. From the middle of last year until now, the defense is probably better than average but it has the potential to be top 10.
I was optimistic that the Niners would go 10-6 this year. That would require them to finish the season 7-3. Given the fact that they play the Colts this week on the road, in reality they need to finish 7-2 to reach 10-6. In those last nine games, they have, IMO, four definite wins (Detroit, St. Louis, Jacksonville and Tennessee). The remaining games are at home vs. Chicago and Arizona and road games at Philly, Seattle and Green Bay. Philly and GB are definite losses and I don't think they sweep the remaining three games- two more wins at best. That's a final record of 9-7. That probably won't be good enough to win the NFC West over Arizona.
The Niners own 2-4 Carolina's 1st round draft pick next year. They'll also have their own mid-range 1st rounder. The 2010 draft will be LOADED due to the fears that a rookie salary cap could be in place after 2010. The conventional wisdom was that the Niners were going to have to draft another QB next year and that would mean more years of developing a new QB while the young talented team ages. That's why Smith's potential come back would be so huge, it frees up the 1st round draft picks to pick guys (elite pass rusher/cornerback/left tackle) that could make the Niners serious contenders.Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
Comment
-
The Niners lead the Colts 7-0.
Watching Gore gallop down the field for 64 yards made me realize how much more college ball I watch than pro ball. The speed game vs. the power game, I mean. Gore looked slower than my great-grandfather but none of the Colts could catch him.
Comment
-
It is funny to think there are idiots out there who boldly proclaim the NCAA product is superior to the NFL product.Originally posted by Fiyero View PostThe Niners lead the Colts 7-0.
Watching Gore gallop down the field for 64 yards made me realize how much more college ball I watch than pro ball. The speed game vs. the power game, I mean. Gore looked slower than my great-grandfather but none of the Colts could catch him.Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
Comment
-
-
Smith didn't play terrible, but when your defense holds the Colts to 18 points, you have to score more than two times. That said, there is no shame in losing to the Colts.I'm like LeBron James.
-mpfunk
Comment
-
Alex Smith showing why he has been a bust and on the bench for the past 4 years. Throwing 2 crucial 4th quarter interceptions on back to back possesions.*Banned*
Comment
-
Your prayers have worked again CJ!Originally posted by cougjunkie View PostAlex Smith showing why he has been a bust and on the bench for the past 4 years. Throwing 2 crucial 4th quarter interceptions on back to back possesions.
"They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.
Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Comment
Comment