Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16936

    #241
    Originally posted by Moliere View Post

    No, I can physically run. My life is just too busy since I teach seminary and then head directly to work only to come home and prepare tomorrow’s lesson and help kids with homework.
    My two-year stint as an early morning seminary teacher was the hardest time in my life to exercise regularly. I empathize.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12365

      #242
      Originally posted by Moliere View Post

      No, I can physically run. My life is just too busy since I teach seminary and then head directly to work only to come home and prepare tomorrow’s lesson and help kids with homework.
      Oh yeah, that is a huge time commitment. You are a good man.

      Comment

      • Bo Diddley
        Senior
        • Jul 2012
        • 18789

        #243
        Eleven cyclists killed in Utah so far this year.

        According to the latest numbers from the Utah Department of Transportation, Utah has seen 11 fatalities, more than any previous year in the past decade, and there are still five months left in the year.

        In 2021, there were six reported deaths. In 2020, there were eight, and in 2019, there were six.
        Most of my miles are on the trails. It's getting more dangerous out there.

        Comment

        • Copelius
          Maker of eyeballs
          • Dec 2012
          • 4057

          #244
          I always try to give them as wide a berth as possible (might be one of you guys), but I have seen more of a failure to maintain any predictible course of travel by cyclists lately. Not sure what the cause, but I would be interested to see the results of any investigation as to fault for the 11 accidents.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

          Comment

          • RC Vikings
            Known Heterosexual
            • Nov 2008
            • 8789

            #245
            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            Eleven cyclists killed in Utah so far this year.



            Most of my miles are on the trails. It's getting more dangerous out there.
            That's an alarming amount of deaths. I don't like riding in Utah because of the amount of traffic. I feel fairly safe of these open Idaho country roads but you never know, all it takes is one teenager texting and not paying attention.

            Comment

            • Bo Diddley
              Senior
              • Jul 2012
              • 18789

              #246
              Originally posted by Copelius View Post
              I always try to give them as wide a berth as possible (might be one of you guys), but I have seen more of a failure to maintain any predictible course of travel by cyclists lately. Not sure what the cause, but I would be interested to see the results of any investigation as to fault for the 11 accidents.
              E-bikes probably has a lot to do with this--both adding inexperienced riders and allowing riders to go faster than normal cyclists.

              Comment

              • Bo Diddley
                Senior
                • Jul 2012
                • 18789

                #247
                Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

                That's an alarming amount of deaths. I don't like riding in Utah because of the amount of traffic. I feel fairly safe of these open Idaho country roads but you never know, all it takes is one teenager texting and not paying attention.
                With the growth, it's getting more congested. I think that's part of the increase.

                Comment

                • Non Sequitur
                  Where did I put my bodkin
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5773

                  #248
                  Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

                  E-bikes probably has a lot to do with this--both adding inexperienced riders and allowing riders to go faster than normal cyclists.
                  I disagree. As an E-bike rider, I can tell you that we ride E-bikes because we are acutely aware of our limitations. We cower at the hint of danger.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                  Comment

                  • PaloAltoCougar
                    Semper infra dignitatem
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 16936

                    #249
                    Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                    I disagree. As an E-bike rider, I can tell you that we ride E-bikes because we are acutely aware of our limitations. We cower at the hint of danger.
                    I'm sure that's true for you and many others, but I play golf with an orthopedic surgeon who told me that e-bikes have been a big business-getter for him, as many, especially older riders, outride their basic skill level, putting themselves in tough situations (esp. off-road) they wouldn't be in otherwise.

                    Comment

                    • Bo Diddley
                      Senior
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 18789

                      #250
                      Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                      I disagree. As an E-bike rider, I can tell you that we ride E-bikes because we are acutely aware of our limitations. We cower at the hint of danger.
                      It was a broad brush comment not meant to imply all subsets of ebike riders fall into that category. But I assure you there is another sunset that does.

                      Comment

                      • Non Sequitur
                        Where did I put my bodkin
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5773

                        #251
                        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                        I'm sure that's true for you and many others, but I play golf with an orthopedic surgeon who told me that e-bikes have been a big business-getter for him, as many, especially older riders, outride their basic skill level, putting themselves in tough situations (esp. off-road) they wouldn't be in otherwise.
                        Off-road? I don't even do light patches of gravel.

                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                        Comment

                        • BigPiney
                          Huge Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12365

                          #252
                          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                          Off-road? I don't even do light patches of gravel.
                          If I were to get an e bike, 90% of my travel would be unpaved. Maybe next summer for commuting.

                          Comment

                          Working...