BYU vs Zig Zags smoke 'em if you got 'em

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #211
    Gonzoga has an 11-year (i think) conference win streak going.

    BYU joins the conference.

    Gonzoga win streak immediately ends.

    Sorry, just being honest!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69696

      #212
      Originally posted by higherroad View Post
      The most unreasonable posters post immediately following the game until 5am...off the cuff, emotional, irrational.
      Given what happened here on CUF during the St. Mary's game (and several other times), we have ZERO room to mock other boards for in-game/post-game meltdowns.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25267

        #213
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Gonzoga has an 11-year (i think) conference win streak going.

        BYU joins the conference.

        Gonzoga win streak immediately ends.

        Sorry, just being honest!
        Hack.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • higherroad
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 235

          #214
          Just read that Gonzaga coughed up 15, yes 15 1st-half TO's, which resulted in 22 pts for BYU!

          To put that in perspective, Zags average 14 TO's per game & Pangos only 1.6.

          GU with only 4 TO's resulting in only 4 pts for BYU in the 2nd half. Improved somewhat.

          Your guys manned up on defense & hounded our perimeter play! No breathing room. No open 3pt shots or swing passes all night long. Killed our guards confidence. It was nice to see little-used Marquise Carter play well and Stockton OK for a walk-on.

          Still can't figure out how our bigs missed so many one-on-one, easy bunnies underneath the hoop(couldn't buy a bucket), but realize why our guards stunk up the joint...BYU's D.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #215
            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Hack.
            You can't "hack" honesty
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #216
              Sacre shared this post-game insight:

              ''They just out-toughed us. They played harder than us,'' Sacre said. ''That's usually the case for us. If we get outplayed, then we're not going to get a win.''
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • cougjunkie
                *Banned*
                • Nov 2008
                • 23223

                #217
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Sacre shared this post-game insight:
                I like Mark Few I am paraphrasing here but he said that pangos played like a scared little bitch.
                *Banned*

                Comment

                • higherroad
                  Junior Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 235

                  #218
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  I like Mark Few I am paraphrasing here but he said that pangos played like a scared little bitch.
                  I haven't heard him be so blunt in yrs, especially in post-game. I think losing the WCC for the first time since he took over in '99 has something to do with the frustration.

                  Here's some snippets(from Spokesman-Review):

                  We were rattled, frazzled, played with no poise, no composure,” Few said. “Timeouts couldn’t stop it, substituting couldn’t stop it. BYU did a great job of coming out and playing with great energy and passion. We haven’t been like that this year. That’s always the worry when you have two freshmen guards, but they were only part of the problem. It was everybody: seniors, juniors, all of them.”
                  “Kevin [Pangos] just made a horrendous decision that kind of capped off the whole half. That’s something I’ve never seen him do in practice or a game all year. We probably had six or seven of those plays I haven’t seen in practice or games all year.”

                  Comment

                  • Blueintheface
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 15382

                    #219
                    Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                    I like Bell's game. BYU is really stymying Pangos (sp??)
                    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    A few thoughts:

                    1. Pangos shit the bed on the biggest stage of his career. Of course Santos and BITF probably thought he killed Abouo.
                    Petty much?
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #220
                      In the post game, Coach Rose also gave a huge shoutout to the Big Mac. He said the players really fed off the energy. He thanked everyone for coming and for being loud.

                      You could tell that the GU players were rattled by the crowd noise and the sheer spectacle of the Big Mac.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • higherroad
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 235

                        #221
                        no excuses, as you can tell, yet in Pangos defense(doesn't really deserve it), he was really sick since Tuesday, even missing practice just 2 days ago due to illness, which I mentioned pre-game.

                        He still played like a scared little rabbit touching a basketball for the 1st time, being out-played by his own back-ups, esp a 5'8" 150lb walk-on and Marquise Carter, who plays like 2 mpg.

                        Having said that, I think you have to give Round 1 of the 'All-Freshman Point Guard' match-up to Matt Carlino.

                        Comment

                        • Indy Coug
                          Heartless Bastard
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 18747

                          #222
                          Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          5. WCC refs still [stink]. They kept Gonzaga within striking distance. Second half foul count was 7-1 and then 12-4 at one point.
                          BYU was giving up ridiculous inside position in the 2nd half, which was a big part of the foul discrepancy.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

                          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                          Comment

                          • creekster
                            It is NOT a monkey!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22661

                            #223
                            The SLtrib on-line sports page article for the game currently shows Winder shooting but identifies him as BYU payer Elias Harris. They need better editors.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #224
                              I like winning, but my feeling is that the GU and VT wins were more a product of the opponent losing than BYU winning. I guess we can argue that BYU played a part in GU's and VT's poor play, but I question how much.

                              Our outside shooting is horrid. Is this because teams are focusing better on perimeter defense?

                              As it appears Zylstra is so spotty shooting the three, Winder needs to see more action. I get nervous everytime Zylstra touches the ball.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69696

                                #225
                                Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                I like winning, but my feeling is that the GU and VT wins were more a product of the opponent losing than BYU winning.
                                :livecoug:
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...