The official Dave Rice is a better coach than Special K thread..........

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MartyFunkhouser
    Disciple of RNGesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 18763

    #526
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    not really. he mentioned texas and baylor.
    A desperate man trying to desperately raise the profile of his dying conference. He mentioned Texas in the context of BYU trying to beg and plead for respect for his teams that either beat/loss to BYU. He mentioned Baylor to try to bed and plead for respect for UCF. If BYU had beat Utah, he would have mentioned them, but we know that isn't happening even if they did play.

    So a Commissioner of a dying league mentions BYU while also complaining about his teams not being "power conference" teams. Not sure why I should be impressed.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21157

      #527
      Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      A desperate man trying to desperately raise the profile of his dying conference. He mentioned Texas in the context of BYU trying to beg and plead for respect for his teams that either beat/loss to BYU. He mentioned Baylor to try to bed and plead for respect for UCF. If BYU had beat Utah, he would have mentioned them, but we know that isn't happening even if they did play.

      So a Commissioner of a dying league mentions BYU while also complaining about his teams not being "power conference" teams. Not sure why I should be impressed.
      I don't think he's that desperate.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #528
        Originally posted by Topper View Post
        Lol Seattle.

        http://www.cougarboard.com/cougarspo...kb&season=2014

        A number of very good games.
        cougarboard is your source? I'm not clicking that link. I don't want cougarboard fleas.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • MartyFunkhouser
          Disciple of RNGesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 18763

          #529
          I think a change in this thread title is necessary.

          Larry Krystkowiak - took a dumpster fire of a program and has got them in the top 25. He got a win over a top 10 Wichita State team. He has done this at a program that is harder to recruit to than UNLV. The Utes have obviously improved over where they were when he took the job.

          Dave Rice - the UNLV team has regressed. So far this year the Rebels have struggled to get wins over the likes of Morehead State (60-59) and Sam Houston State (59-57). The 2 decent teams they have played this year have both blown out UNLV: Stanford (60-89) and ASU (55-77). To Dave Rice's credit, he was able to get his team to score 5 more points against ASU than Chicago State. Great recruiter, but his teams are consistently under performing.

          So Krystkowiak has handled a horrible situation and made it better. Dave Rice was given a team in great shape and has made it worse. Like I said, I think we need to change the title to this thread.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

          Comment

          • Commando
            Explosivo
            • Feb 2009
            • 20748

            #530
            So maybe Dave Rice makes a better assistant coach than krystokiack?
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #531
              Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              I think a change in this thread title is necessary.

              Larry Krystkowiak - took a dumpster fire of a program and has got them in the top 25. He got a win over a top 10 Wichita State team. He has done this at a program that is harder to recruit to than UNLV. The Utes have obviously improved over where they were when he took the job.

              Dave Rice - the UNLV team has regressed. So far this year the Rebels have struggled to get wins over the likes of Morehead State (60-59) and Sam Houston State (59-57). The 2 decent teams they have played this year have both blown out UNLV: Stanford (60-89) and ASU (55-77). To Dave Rice's credit, he was able to get his team to score 5 more points against ASU than Chicago State. Great recruiter, but his teams are consistently under performing.

              So Krystkowiak has handled a horrible situation and made it better. Dave Rice was given a team in great shape and has made it worse. Like I said, I think we need to change the title to this thread.
              Perhaps he should at least get his team to the Dance before we take such a drastic step.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • SCcoug
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 7625

                #532
                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Perhaps he should at least get his team to the Dance before we take such a drastic step.
                Yeah don't drop the ball too soon MP.

                Comment

                • MartyFunkhouser
                  Disciple of RNGesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 18763

                  #533
                  Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  Yeah don't drop the ball too soon MP.
                  I'm not recreating Kaelin Clay's Calamity with this one. I'm not sure why we need to see Krsytkowiak make the NCAA tournament prior to declaring him the better coach at this point. I'm not declaring that he is a good coach, only that he is better than Rice.

                  Krystkowiak has improved the Utah program. Rice has made UNLV worse. With a tougher job, Krystkowiak has done a better job than Rice.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #534
                    it is kind of hard to not improve the Utah program given where he started. basically if you manage to win about 12-15 games, you have drastically improved the program. That is something, though, I suppose.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • MartyFunkhouser
                      Disciple of RNGesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 18763

                      #535
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      it is kind of hard to not improve the Utah program given where he started. basically if you manage to win about 12-15 games, you have drastically improved the program. That is something, though, I suppose.
                      Its also not that hard to keep UNLV as a tournament team with the talent Lon Kruger left behind and the ease of recruiting to Las Vegas, but Rice hasn't been able to do that.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #536
                        Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                        Its also not that hard to keep UNLV as a tournament team with the talent Lon Kruger left behind and the ease of recruiting to Las Vegas, but Rice hasn't been able to do that.
                        You just said a few minutes ago that making the tournament is not a requisite data point in determining coaching efficacy. So why are you now employing a lack of tournament appearances as a negative?
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Blueintheface
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 15382

                          #537
                          Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                          Its also not that hard to keep UNLV as a tournament team with the talent Lon Kruger left behind and the ease of recruiting to Las Vegas, but Rice hasn't been able to do that.
                          Signed, SDSU football.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 38003

                            #538
                            Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                            Its also not that hard to keep UNLV as a tournament team with the talent Lon Kruger left behind and the ease of recruiting to Las Vegas, but Rice hasn't been able to do that.
                            Why is it so easy to recruit to Las Vegas? It sure isn't easy to recruit football players to play here.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • MartyFunkhouser
                              Disciple of RNGesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 18763

                              #539
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              You just said a few minutes ago that making the tournament is not a requisite data point in determining coaching efficacy. So why are you now employing a lack of tournament appearances as a negative?
                              I comparing the programs when the respective coaches took over and the trajectory they have taken since those coaches took over. Krystko took over a program that had 2 horrible coaches, including Boylen who was a special level of bad. He also had Boylen actively sabotage his program on the way out. The program has improved.

                              Rice took over a program that was in great shape. He has taken them from a perennial NCAA tournament team to missing the dance last year and probably missing it again this year.

                              I'm not saying getting the tournament isn't a data point to look at, I'm saying we already have enough evidence with the direction of the 2 programs to state that Krystko is the better coach.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18763

                                #540
                                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Why is it so easy to recruit to Las Vegas? It sure isn't easy to recruit football players to play here.
                                When was the last time a coach had a difficult time recruiting basketball players to Vegas?
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...