Positive Press vs. Negative Press - who won?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Eddie
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 8098

    #91
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    No, the subject at hand is whether this has been good PR in the real word for BYU. This came up because the LDS Pravda has been busily declaring a resounding PR victory.

    Someone noted that when people here talk about BYU/LDS leadership's fixation with "image" they are talking about concern for their image among the LDS stakeholders, the consituents. I thought that was very well stated,
    but somewhat scary.

    I don't think they are only looking at image among LDS stakeholders. I think they are looking at image among people who's opinion they care about.

    I think simply based on the fact that some folks in the press have said that they respect BYU for upholding their honor code, this is viewed as possitive.

    I also think that those who care about how this is effecting image take into consideration the source. For instance - while they might care about your soul, I am fairly certain that there are few things LDS leadership cares less about as compared to your opinion (This in light of the nature of your oft stated opinion regarding the LDS church, its teachings & beliefs.)

    Comment

    • NorthwestUteFan
      אלוף
      • Oct 2010
      • 3384

      #92
      The vast majority of organized religions out there had a racial component to them at some time in the past. Whether or not that component is currently true is (almost) completely irrelevant.

      Outside of the church people can take a few quotes and some history from the past, make an accusation, and directly point at the 'black boy knocking up the white girl' as the reason for his dismissal from the team.

      Some people may think it is funny but this is a significant PR mistake. Watching BYU and the church muddle through it is kind of funny given the prophetic claims of the church leadership, but at the same time it is very hurtful to witness.

      Then again, maybe God can't be bothered to care about simple things like how to handle repentance, how to manage a business empire, or how to run a church.

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #93
        Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Of course the church cares first and foremost about its image among members. That simply makes sense and would be true of any orgnization simialrly siutated.

        Sometimes . . .

        Among the activist base. I may just be around weird goups. It is running 80-20 negative and who cares vs positive. Yet on CB, reading the ariticles posted and posts from people with non member friends callin from the east and saying, "just wanted to call and say how proud I am of you and your church." However, the base has the power. Ask poor Senator Bennet and the now runnin scared Orrin Hatch.

        I have to present myself better to my friends. I have never gotten a call like that.

        Comment

        • DapperDan
          Whut?
          • Mar 2010
          • 1132

          #94
          Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
          Judas Priest, don't you guys ever get bored with this crap?
          Not really

          Comment

          • NorthwestUteFan
            אלוף
            • Oct 2010
            • 3384

            #95
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Especialyl not in Texas! You need to become a student of Babs' posts.

            Besides, Pat Thurston is an idiot and I think even most peopel in the Bay area would agree with that. I, too, heard some of this show last night and couldnt believe how poor her logic is.
            Sorry, I haven't been on here in nearly a month and force myself to stay away because it can be so addicting (and thus destructive of productivity).

            As I listened to her spiel and spin, and heard the venom, I decided not to call in as she would simply pot me down or hang up if I defeated her logic.

            Comment

            • creekster
              It is NOT a monkey!
              • Nov 2008
              • 22661

              #96
              Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
              Sorry, I haven't been on here in nearly a month and force myself to stay away because it can be so addicting (and thus destructive of productivity).

              As I listened to her spiel and spin, and heard the venom, I decided not to call in as she would simply pot me down or hang up if I defeated her logic.
              You are correct, that is exactly what she would have done.

              For example, later in her show she was discussing how to close Californias's budget deficit. Her brilliant idea? A 10% surcharge on ALL money wires leaving California. You want to wire money to someplce outside of California? Only 9 of every 10 dollars will actually get there.

              The stupidity of this idea cna not be overstated.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

              Comment

              • RobinFinderson
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 10548

                #97
                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                You are correct, that is exactly what she would have done.

                For example, later in her show she was discussing how to close Californias's budget deficit. Her brilliant idea? A 10% surcharge on ALL money wires leaving California. You want to wire money to someplce outside of California? Only 9 of every 10 dollars will actually get there.

                The stupidity of this idea cna not be overstated.
                Geesh! Talk about a racist tactic. This would obviously be directed at the immigrant population that sends half of its money to poor families in Mexico and other countries.

                Comment

                • creekster
                  It is NOT a monkey!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22661

                  #98
                  Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  Geesh! Talk about a racist tactic. This would obviously be directed at the immigrant population that sends half of its money to poor families in Mexico and other countries.
                  That was where she got her idea. In texas they are apparently talking about a surcharge on all money wired to mexico. (this discussion must be why they dont have time to talk about Brandon Davies, right Babs?) she said that was a bad idea becaseu it was limited to mexico. Bu then she said we should do it in California but apply it to ALL other locations! Brilliant!
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment

                  • NorthwestUteFan
                    אלוף
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 3384

                    #99
                    Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    You are correct, that is exactly what she would have done.

                    For example, later in her show she was discussing how to close Californias's budget deficit. Her brilliant idea? A 10% surcharge on ALL money wires leaving California. You want to wire money to someplce outside of California? Only 9 of every 10 dollars will actually get there.

                    The stupidity of this idea cna not be overstated.
                    So she would be in favor of establishing 'Fortress California', but would also vehemently oppose a border wall. Ironically, that is the 4th Pillar of Communism per Marx: "Confiscation of the property of emigrants and rebels."

                    I lived in New England during the Jeffs/YFZ compound bs a few years ago. I had MANY people at work say, 'you Mormons are all just a bunch of blankety-blanks...want to F young girls...oppress women...cultists...should just kill yourselves like those comet people...' Fun times working around those pricks (yes I wanted to kick them).

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #100
                      Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                      The vast majority of organized religions out there had a racial component to them at some time in the past.
                      Right. Christianity's key innovation was its universalism. Nietzche blamed Christianity for what he said he felt (TIC?) was the "pernicious" idea of equal rights of humans. The greatest compliment ever paid Christianity, in my opinion.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • NorthwestUteFan
                        אלוף
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 3384

                        #101
                        Generally speaking, you are correct. And your analysis of Nietsche's comment is spot on.

                        Still, every religion seems to have a few racially-tinged 'embarrasing' points in the past, whether short term or institutionalized over centuries. That was my point. And it is being played out over the Brandon Davies situation again and again.

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #102
                          Hey! Did anyone else notice? We made the Daily Show! I don't think that is just a blog, but I'm not sure.

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #103
                            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            Hey! Did anyone else notice? We made the Daily Show!
                            "we"?

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69687

                              #104
                              Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              I knew you'd love it when I found it last week and asked jackass Triplet here to add it to the list.

                              Since Trip doesn't want it named after him, I suggest we name it :Tex:
                              Done.

                              While :tex: would have been perfect, I wimped out and went with (colon)ostrich(colon).

                              New smilie #48.

                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • RobinFinderson
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10548

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                                "we"?
                                We as in 'we Cougars of BYU,' as in the Brandon Davies story was featured in a segment on the Daily Show.

                                Comment

                                Working...