bb recruiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • frank ryan
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12374

    #841
    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I might be wrong but I still think you haven't answered the question. How many kids with a background and family situation similar to Dastrup's have told BYU no? The only ones I can think of are Burgess, Mark Madsen, Coach Pope, the Christenson kid who went to Duke and perhaps the youngest Pollard - all of whom were recruited to BYU when the program was not as fundamentally sound as today and with a HC who was not as charismatic as Rose. In fact Rose even later landed Burgess' younger brother. This recruit has many more parallels to Michael Smith, Bigelow, David Burgess, Plaisted and Cummard than he does to Jabari Parker.

    Yes, many of you become stringpulling pussies in an effort to look either non-sheepish open minded or to brace yourselves for dissapointment. In any case it is unbecoming of a culture with the Martin and Willi handcart pioneers as its forbears.
    Also Michael Johnson who played point guard for Washington

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #842
      It's down to three for Chapman:

      @chriskamrani 4m

      Brekkott Chapman spoke to the inimitable @BubbaBrownSE and told him he's down to Utah, UCLA and BYU. #TribPreps
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Art Vandelay
        Striving for mediocrity
        • Jul 2009
        • 10516

        #843
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        It's down to three for Chapman:
        A couple questions:
        1) Is Utah predicted to improve significantly? I think it is much easier to go from terrible to average, than it is to go from average to being a contender. If they can continue to land Loveridge-like recruits, maybe they make the leap. I assumed they were going to finish in the 8-10 range of the P12 for the foreseeable future. But I honestly don't know what they have in the pipeline.
        2) Who is considered the better prospect Chapman or Dastrup?

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #844
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          It's down to three for Chapman:
          Hmm. Peeps were saying just the other day that he really liked Gonzaga as his third and BYU wasn't in the picture.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • The_Douger
            Athletic Supporter
            • Jun 2012
            • 5413

            #845
            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            A couple questions:
            1) Is Utah predicted to improve significantly? I think it is much easier to go from terrible to average, than it is to go from average to being a contender. If they can continue to land Loveridge-like recruits, maybe they make the leap. I assumed they were going to finish in the 8-10 range of the P12 for the foreseeable future. But I honestly don't know what they have in the pipeline.
            2) Who is considered the better prospect Chapman or Dastrup?
            I'd rather have Dastrup.

            That said, he might see going to Utah as a chance to really shine as the centerpiece on a rebuilding team. If BYU can get him and Dastrup they'd really probably have a special team the next few years. I still think he's nuts to pass on an Arizona offer.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

            Comment

            • wapiti
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 2064

              #846
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              It's down to three for Chapman:
              Does he have an offer from UCLA?

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #847
                Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                Does he have an offer from UCLA?
                Rivals lists one, Scout doesn't. I'm assuming he does if he named them in his three.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #848
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  A couple questions:
                  1) Is Utah predicted to improve significantly? I think it is much easier to go from terrible to average, than it is to go from average to being a contender. If they can continue to land Loveridge-like recruits, maybe they make the leap. I assumed they were going to finish in the 8-10 range of the P12 for the foreseeable future. But I honestly don't know what they have in the pipeline.
                  2) Who is considered the better prospect Chapman or Dastrup?
                  I don't know much about Dastrup. I really like Chapman. He's a dream 4 in Rose's system. He needs to gain some muscle, but he's so long he really disrupts things in the middle and will be a great rebounder. He can defend in the post and on the perimeter already. He moves quicker laterally than any BYU big man over 6'7 that I can remember. He's already got a decent three point shot and it will get better.

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #849
                    Without Dastrup and Chapman, BYU's recruiting class is already near the top of the rankings. With both of these guys, it easily becomes a top 5 class.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #850
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      Without Dastrup and Chapman, BYU's recruiting class is already near the top of the rankings. With both of these guys, it easily becomes a top 5 class.
                      I am feeling much better about Dastrup. I've pulled the string Goat.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • MarkGrace
                        Grooveshark dick tease
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 31546

                        #851
                        Didn't realize Dastrup landed an offer from KU.

                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                        Comment

                        • MarkGrace
                          Grooveshark dick tease
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 31546

                          #852
                          And now tdawg saying Ohio St. has offered as well.
                          http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=10914053
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #853
                            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            And now tdawg saying Ohio St. has offered as well.
                            http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=10914053
                            Dastrup seemed pretty geeked by the Kansas offer. He tweeted the other week that Self had offered. He also said he just picked up an offer from Lavin at St. Johns. In that TBS article he said he's up to 25-26 now including every school in the PAC 12.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #854
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Dastrup seemed pretty geeked by the Kansas offer. He tweeted the other week that Self had offered. He also said he just picked up an offer from Lavin at St. Johns. In that TBS article he said he's up to 25-26 now including every school in the PAC 12.
                              So are you saying you're not pulling the string?
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              • Surfah
                                Where's Wallace?
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 33726

                                #855
                                Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                                So are you saying you're not pulling the string?
                                No I feel pretty good about him from other things I have heard. But even taking that TBS article he was talking about how he's playing on an AAU team with a bunch of kids from LA and how he talks to them about his mission plans, not having sex, etc. Then he says:

                                “I'm not telling them what to do and what not to do and things like that,” said Dastrup. “Sometimes I’ll joke around with some of these guys and say, ‘So, you’re coming to BYU right?’ And they’re like, ‘Aw dude, are you kidding me? Man, that’s like torture man.’ I'm like, ‘Come on man, it’s not that bad.’ I'm like, ‘Mormons aren’t weird people and we have normal lives.’ It just gives me a chance to put things into perspective for everyone and it’s cool.”
                                I think that is pretty positive.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...