Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    I thought he was a transfer?
    Brendan Bailey is a HS player BYU is recruiting. I don't think most expected that he was planning on a mission but now it sounds like he's considering it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      Brendan Bailey is a HS player BYU is recruiting. I don't think most expected that he was planning on a mission but now it sounds like he's considering it.
      Reportedly BYU's chances are not great.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Reportedly BYU's chances are not great.
        This is Thurl's son, right? I thought he already committed.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          This is Thurl's son, right? I thought he already committed.
          He once committed to ASU and then decommitted when they fired their coach. ASU is still trying to get him, but he remains uncommitted at the moment. BYU is still pursuing him.

Comment

• So apparently Stanford is going really hard after Frank Jackson right now. But if you want to talk about purely basketball reasons, I don't see any good reason a 5* recruit would choose Stanford right now. I understand the off the court reasons, but if you're on the fast track to the NBA anyway, the academic reasons are less important. And seriously, if that's what you're really after along with basketball and you plan to get your degree, then heck, why not Harvard instead? The difference is they actually have a good basketball team right now and a way better coach. Tommy Amaker is doing amazing things over there. On the other hand, Stanford has little talent coming back this year. No basketball fanbase, they're picked for 9th in the PAC 12, Dawkins has gone to only 1 NCAA tournament in seven years, and he may not even last long enough to still be there by the time Frank starts college.
            Last edited by BlueK; 07-10-2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• You don't get an athletic scholarship at Harvard.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                You don't get an athletic scholarship at Harvard.
                Right. You get a ** wink, wink ** "academic" scholarship if you are agree to attend become a member of one of the athletic teams.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Right. You get a ** wink, wink ** "academic" scholarship if you are agree to attend become a member of one of the athletic teams.
                  All the financial aid is need based. (This is true of the entire ivy league. I always chuckle when people say they know someone who got a full scholarship to Harvard/Yale/etc. That means they were poor. )
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

You don't get an athletic scholarship at Harvard.
                    There are ways, as they say. Athletes can get financial aid of other types.

Besides that, Frank's family can still afford it.

But I wasn't really totally serious about Harvard. I was just pointing out that they're actually a better basketball program with a much better coach and more likely than Stanford to do something good on the court while Frank is there. Stanford had some decent talent over the last 2-3 years but it's mostly all gone now and the outlook for this year looks pretty bleak. I think there's a 70% chance Johnny Dawkins isn't there anymore by the time his 2016 recruiting class is ready to start college.

Obviously I can understand Duke, and it looks highly probable that he ends up there. Stanford is a ridiculous choice for him, all things considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      There are ways, as they say. Athletes can get financial aid of other types.

Besides that, Frank's family can still afford it.

No, they really can't. There are little edges to play around with, but nothing that can compare at all to what Stanford can offer. Frank's family being wealthy only ties their hands a little more.
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

All the financial aid is need based. (This is true of the entire ivy league. I always chuckle when people say they know someone who got a full scholarship to Harvard/Yale/etc. That means they were poor. )
                        Yeah, I know how it works. I have a close friend who passed up an offer to play basketball at Florida because he got an offer to play football at Penn. His family was quite wealthy and he still got a scholarship (partial at least).

Said it was the best decision he ever made. Went on to get an MBA and now has a hugely successful business.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yeah, I know how it works. I have a close friend who passed up an offer to play basketball at Florida because he got an offer to play football at Penn. His family was quite wealthy and he still got a scholarship (partial at least).

Said it was the best decision he ever made. Went on to get an MBA and now has a hugely successful business.
                          Did he know that he could still get an MBA if he went to Florida?
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                            Did he know that he could still get an MBA if he went to Florida?
                            But maybe not as likely from Wharton
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I always chuckle when people say they know someone who got a full scholarship to Harvard/Yale/etc. That means they were poor
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• POOR PEOPLE. Whew! Good stuff!
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X