BYU vs. UNLV tonight

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hsaru
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1109

    #46
    Yea I sat pretty close to the Dargers and I saw Darger out near the concessions at halftime. I debated a bit if it was him but then I realized noone else would rock that ridiculous fauxhawk.

    Comment

    • myboynoah
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 21719

      #47
      Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
      Yea I sat pretty close to the Dargers and I saw Darger out near the concessions at halftime. I debated a bit if it was him but then I realized noone else would rock that ridiculous fauxhawk.
      He still has it? Time to move on, Joe.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

      Comment

      • The_Tick
        Made something of myself
        • Nov 2008
        • 7294

        #48
        Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        No worries Tick has done that to me with football. I think it was the FSU game and I got like 5 texts from him with colorful language and I was about 10 minutes behind on the DVR. At least you gave him good news. All I got was 'shit another turnover.'
        True...but you are huge into BYU sports. The second you told me you were 10 minutes behind I held off texting ya until you told me you were caught up.

        I never even thought of worrying about a text from DT. If he texts me late at night it is for 2 reasons:

        1. He bought something cool and wants to share the details.
        2. He feels sick, probably has the Hanta Virus...thinks he is going to die, and doesn't want to come into work tomorrow.

        A BYU text from him almost made me fall off of the couch.

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #49
          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          I thought that was Joe Darger himself -- but he didn't really look very tall from where I was sitting so I thought it might be a similar-looking brother.
          I thought the same. The guy next to him had him by an inch and the other guys in the row weren't much shorter. IIRC, Darger is 6'7".
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #50
            Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            What a great game that was -- good thing Tavernari and Loyd stepped up. Jimmer was sick (the bad kind of sick). What was with the white long-sleeved T-shirt -- how are you supposed to play ball in that thing? Nice that BYU can shoot terribly and be without its best player and win anyway.

            During the last ten minutes, that is about as loud as any arena can get -- the student section finally got into it.

            There were UNLV fans scattered throughout the arena doing the stupid "Rebels" chant with the tomahawk chop periodically. There was a whole row of Dargers about fifteen rows behind us -- all of them wearing a Darger #45 jersey with "REBELS" painted on their arms. They stood the whole game, BYU fans behind them got mad and called security. Eventually the 3 rows behind the Dargers cleared out because the BYU fans didn't want to stand the whole game. The security guys came and talked to the Dargers a bunch of times, but apparently standing and being polygamists isn't enough to get you kicked out of a basketball game at BYU. Oh well.
            If you are an fan of the opponents, my experience is that it is hard to get kicked out. That of course is based on only two experiences.

            The worst one was at a game involving BSU. This was in the so called experience East side section at a football game. Even before the game the few BSU fans in the section were quite obnoxious with the anti mormon stuff. Someone asked them to tone it down and the response was F you mormons. When security was called down, their response was they weren't going to do anything because they didn't want to "cause an incident." LOL

            Yet I have seen BYU fans taken out for letting out "smelly farts."

            Comment

            • CardiacCoug
              вот так штука
              • Nov 2008
              • 11013

              #51
              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              I thought the same. The guy next to him had him by an inch and the other guys in the row weren't much shorter. IIRC, Darger is 6'7".
              That explains it -- that was a tall row of guys because Joe didn't look much taller than anybody else.

              Comment

              • scottie
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 5247

                #52
                Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                What a great game that was -- good thing Tavernari and Loyd stepped up. Jimmer was sick (the bad kind of sick). What was with the white long-sleeved T-shirt -- how are you supposed to play ball in that thing?
                Jay Drew posted on Twitter that Jimmer wore the shirt due to an allergic reaction to medication for strep throat.

                Comment

                • Flystripper
                  Degenerate Gambler
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14089

                  #53
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  JT interview with Greg Wrubell he closes with "Everyone read your scriptures"

                  He was clutch tonight. 17 and 9.

                  Noah with 17, Loyd with 7 collosal points. Great game.
                  JT played well. See, my hate for JT does not override my objectivity! Without JT we don't win that game last night. If he played that way even half of the time you would not hear a complaint from me. His shot selection was pretty good and he even took the ball to the hoop on occasion.

                  Loyd was HUGE down the stretch! I did not see that coming.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #54
                    For those that attend regularly, has BYU had a game yet this year wherein pretty much everyone is there at tipoff? Every time I watch them on TV, it seems like half the arena is empty at the beginning of the game. what is going on?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #55
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      For those that attend regularly, has BYU had a game yet this year wherein pretty much everyone is there at tipoff? Every time I watch them on TV, it seems like half the arena is empty at the beginning of the game. what is going on?
                      The game didn't even start until 8:00, so there really isn't much of an excuse for that many people to be that late, but it's just the BYU Way.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #56
                        On a different note, I really, really like the work James Bates does for the MTN. Not only does he do a good job with the play-by-play, but you can tell he really takes the time to learn about the players, the schools, the traditions, quirks, the high schools players come from and so forth. I have a hard time believing he doesn't leave soon for bigger and better things.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • Flystripper
                          Degenerate Gambler
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14089

                          #57
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          For those that attend regularly, has BYU had a game yet this year wherein pretty much everyone is there at tipoff? Every time I watch them on TV, it seems like half the arena is empty at the beginning of the game. what is going on?
                          The Marriott center is too big, but fans shouldn't be late. 20,000 seats is too much for a college hoops arena.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

                          Comment

                          • jay santos
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 13652

                            #58
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            For those that attend regularly, has BYU had a game yet this year wherein pretty much everyone is there at tipoff? Every time I watch them on TV, it seems like half the arena is empty at the beginning of the game. what is going on?
                            It's always like that. I don't get it. If you're going to invest minimum 3 hrs including drive and park and walk time, and maybe more like 4 for many, why not get there on time?? I was early today and got there with 10 minutes to go and the place was essentially empty except for about 7K or so students who have to line up early to get good seats.

                            Comment

                            • scottie
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5247

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              On a different note, I really, really like the work James Bates does for the MTN. Not only does he do a good job with the play-by-play, but you can tell he really takes the time to learn about the players, the schools, the traditions, quirks, the high schools players come from and so forth. I have a hard time believing he doesn't leave soon for bigger and better things.


                              I was also thinking about this last night -- I'm not really a fan of Blaine Fowler or Todd Christensen doing the color commentary for basketball games. Last night Fowler was giving insight on the keys to shooting a good free throw and I was thinking "huh?"; I'm not saying he (or TC) doesn't know his basketball stuff, but because I know their background (former BYU football players) I dismiss what they're saying. However, I like it when it's a former coach/player saying the same thing. I doubt the average viewer cares about that, but I do for whatever reason.

                              Comment

                              • Flystripper
                                Degenerate Gambler
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14089

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                On a different note, I really, really like the work James Bates does for the MTN. Not only does he do a good job with the play-by-play, but you can tell he really takes the time to learn about the players, the schools, the traditions, quirks, the high schools players come from and so forth. I have a hard time believing he doesn't leave soon for bigger and better things.
                                Bates does a good job with content and his technical play by play is pretty good given what experience he has had. However, he will forever be at a disadvantage because he sounds like he is 13 years old. Not his fault, but his voice is not really a big time voice. He needs more bass.
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                                Comment

                                Working...