The lockdown collateral damage and death thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #16
    Just so my position crystal clear for posterity.

    I am totally, 100% behind the protesters, and I know they are sincerely occurring because of the murder of George Floyd (usually, I don’t pre-judge before trial, but we all saw the video and can think for ourselves). Those were organized and purposeful, righteous and peaceful. There’s nothing more about the horror of the cops’ crime that I could add to what’s been said.

    The riots are reprehensible, have to some extent hijacked the protests, but a predictable and obvious result of the lockdown’s excesses and resulting economic suffering and loss of liberty. The murder of George Floyd was like lighting a match amid fumes. Obviously, the rioters are not breaking windows, stealing Nikes, beating store owners, to honor George Floyd.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #17
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Just so my position crystal clear for posterity.

      I am totally, 100% behind the protesters, and I know they are sincerely occurring because of the murder of George Floyd (usually, I don’t pre-judge before trial, but we all saw the video and can think for ourselves). Those were organized and purposeful, righteous and peaceful. There’s nothing more about the horror of the cops’ crime that I could add to what’s been said.

      The riots are reprehensible, have to some extent hijacked the protests, but a predictable and obvious result of the lockdown’s excesses and resulting economic suffering and loss of liberty. The murder of George Floyd was like lighting a match amid fumes. Obviously, the rioters are not breaking windows, stealing Nikes, beating store owners, to honor George Floyd.
      stealing nikes....?
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #18
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        Just so my position crystal clear for posterity.

        I am totally, 100% behind the protesters, and I know they are sincerely occurring because of the murder of George Floyd (usually, I don’t pre-judge before trial, but we all saw the video and can think for ourselves). Those were organized and purposeful, righteous and peaceful. There’s nothing more about the horror of the cops’ crime that I could add to what’s been said.

        The riots are reprehensible, have to some extent hijacked the protests, but a predictable and obvious result of the lockdown’s excesses and resulting economic suffering and loss of liberty. The murder of George Floyd was like lighting a match amid fumes. Obviously, the rioters are not breaking windows, stealing Nikes, beating store owners, to honor George Floyd.
        Well said.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69735

          #19
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          JL, please delete the silver linings thread. It’s embarrassing. A parody of this place.
          Lol. Could you possibly be any more insufferable? I don't think so.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #20
            I worry that home church may reduce the number of LDS who attend church after services resume and result in the loss of tons of blessings.

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18033

              #21
              Collateral damage? Brother, let me tell you:

              My mask gets pretty stinky if I forget to wash it.
              I hate that I have to put it back on every time I walk out of my office. My employees I get, but me? I shouldn't be afraid if they see me without one on. Don't they know who's their boss?!?
              The hospital won't even let me enter without a mask on.
              And if I forget my favorite one, I have to pull out my spare one that's too tight on my ears.

              Thanks SU for the space to vent!
              Last edited by Northwestcoug; 06-02-2020, 07:55 PM.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18033

                #22
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                It’s prevalent on right and left to distinguishes the protesters from the rioters. I spend ten weeks a hear of my own time helping save indigent death row inmates. I’m largely a libertarian. Nobody hates what happened to Floyd George more than I do. But I hate all forms of civil liberties abridgment. I’m probably as or more more tolerant of this civil disobedience than anyone here. In the past there have been riots after cops murdered black people, but nothing like the scope and intensity of this. It’s now in Europe. This is 1930s or 1968 all over again, because the shutdown has only greatly amplified economic suffering that existed before and vastly created new suffering. It’s always economic suffering that brings out vast and unstoppable rioting like this.

                It’s infuriating that the people with power in America couldn’t see this coming. It’s totally predictable. And it won’t go away until the economy is fixed.
                All playful insults and kidding aside, thank you for this service. That is holy work.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18806

                  #23
                  Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  I worry that home church may reduce the number of LDS who attend church after services resume and result in the loss of tons of blessings.

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #24
                    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    stealing nikes....?
                    The big Nike store across from my office has been completely destroyed and looted. What's so funny?
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • BigPiney
                      Huge Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12371

                      #25

                      Comment

                      • clackamascoug
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9709

                        #26
                        Nothing is ever 100% right - or 100% wrong... I'm guessing 75% of the protesters are doing it for the right reason, and I stand with them. The other 20% are agent provocateurs who are using the protesting to start riots so they can benefit individually. The remaining 5% are scumbags gaming the situation and are doing 60% of the of the damage and encouraging others to loot with them to lessen their odds of being singled out.

                        Then law enforcement is 50% good - and 50% gangs of mutual protection as they labor 25 years to earn a pension and exit their rat race life.

                        Even I've been 75% good, 20% edgy, and 5% corrupt during my too long of life. Who here is perfect?

                        Anybody need some NIKE's? I've recently come into possession of 300 pairs - sizes 9-13 - asking half price. BM for payment instructions.
                        Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-02-2020, 10:38 PM.

                        Comment

                        • jay santos
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 13652

                          #27
                          I don't think it's completely irrelevant that George Floyd lost his job due to Covid-19.

                          Comment

                          • old_gregg
                            scaly man fish
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 16915

                            #28
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            The big Nike store across from my office has been completely destroyed and looted. What's so funny?
                            yikes, my dude
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                            Comment

                            • SeattleUte
                              Faith crisis consultant
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 20837

                              #29
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                              --Jonathan Swift

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #30
                                Yep, the dems threw gas on this one...

                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...