2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21157

    #511
    I'm so much less invested in the presidential election this year as compared to 2012. Even 2016 elicited more from me, at least during the primary stage. Biden is definitely not exciting. Trump is off-putting.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • Walter Sobchak
      Adventurer
      • Oct 2009
      • 3815

      #512
      Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      I'm so much less invested in the presidential election this year as compared to 2012. Even 2016 elicited more from me, at least during the primary stage. Biden is definitely not exciting. Trump is off-putting.
      Compare 2016 participation with 2020:

      WhoPosted2016Trainwreck.jpg

      WhoPosted2020Trainwreck.jpg
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

      Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #513
        This race ain't over- and it's going to get a whole lot uglier before things clear up...
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • frank ryan
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 12389

          #514
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Yes, those people like him. But saying he intentionally designed a symbol to mimic the nazis is indeed making shit up.
          It's speculative. He definitely dogwhistles them, if not outright court them at times. He's had, and has racists in his administration like Gorka and Stephen Miller. Hell, he's been perpetuating that bullshit Qanon conspiracy theory.
          Last edited by frank ryan; 07-13-2020, 08:06 PM.

          Comment

          • Commando
            Explosivo
            • Feb 2009
            • 20748

            #515
            Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            It's speculative. He definitely dogwhistles them, if not outright court them at times. Hell, he's been perpetuating that bullshit Qanon conspiracy theory.
            I think his campaign gets cute a lot. https://www.npr.org/2020/06/18/88037...ls-it-an-emoji

            His campaign is built on dog whistling. It's not crazy to think any of this isn't on purpose. Maybe not the focal point, but they love spreading around Easter eggs to solidify the base with 'those who have ears to hear,' so to speak.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69752

              #516
              Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Compare 2016 participation with 2020:
              That’s interesting. I think most of my posts were panicking that trump could actually win. And lots of folks mocking me in return.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • myboynoah
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 21719

                #517
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                That’s interesting. I think most of my posts were panicking that trump could actually win. And lots of folks mocking me in return.
                I know. Bunch of jerks.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                Comment

                • All-American
                  Right, as Usual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 15680

                  #518
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Check out this Nazi symbol I found, hiding in plain sight!
                  Turns out Neil Armstrong was a racist. Sad!


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                  Comment

                  • Walter Sobchak
                    Adventurer
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 3815

                    #519
                    Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    It's speculative. He definitely dogwhistles them, if not outright court them at times. He's had, and has racists in his administration like Gorka and Stephen Miller. Hell, he's been perpetuating that bullshit Qanon conspiracy theory.
                    Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    I think his campaign gets cute a lot. https://www.npr.org/2020/06/18/88037...ls-it-an-emoji

                    His campaign is built on dog whistling. It's not crazy to think any of this isn't on purpose. Maybe not the focal point, but they love spreading around Easter eggs to solidify the base with 'those who have ears to hear,' so to speak.
                    Or it could be TDS.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                    Comment

                    • wapiti
                      Junior Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 2064

                      #520
                      Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      This race ain't over- and it's going to get a whole lot uglier before things clear up...
                      The race is over and it won't be all that interesting other than to see how badly Trump panics with the writing on the wall.

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #521
                        Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                        The race is over and it won't be all that interesting other than to see how badly Trump panics with the writing on the wall.
                        I agree, but... I anticipate some MAGA foot stomping and musket-polishing.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Paperback Writer
                          Signature won a Pulitzer
                          • Nov 2010
                          • 5211

                          #522
                          Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                          The race is over and it won't be all that interesting other than to see how badly Trump panics with the writing on the wall.
                          Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          I agree, but... I anticipate some MAGA foot stomping and musket-polishing.
                          I dunno, it's far from over. The opera "fat lady" is not due to sing for a good while. Biden still has to announce a running mate and the situation with the economy and COVID could change quite a lot by the time the polls open.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #523
                            Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            I dunno, it's far from over. The opera "fat lady" is not due to sing for a good while. Biden still has to announce a running mate and the situation with the economy and COVID could change quite a lot by the time the polls open.
                            Of course. I will be active on the campaign trail here in AZ to make sure we turn blue, and Trump will be spending money in Texas since it's now a swing state.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • USUC
                              Chronic Poseur
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 8806

                              #524
                              2016 is the best example of the Bradley Effect yet. This thing could be completely over, but you can't be sure. If Biden doesn't go too woke, he should comfortably win. But don't mistake your Trump disgust for the temperature of the country as a whole.

                              Comment

                              • frank ryan
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12389

                                #525
                                Originally posted by USUC View Post
                                2016 is the best example of the Bradley Effect yet. This thing could be completely over, but you can't be sure. If Biden doesn't go too woke, he should comfortably win. But don't mistake your Trump disgust for the temperature of the country as a whole.
                                Remember Trump's fortunes changed because he got a small pocket of voters in swing states to go his way. He has never had a mandate outside his base.

                                Comment

                                Working...