At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12367

    #796
    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    If we remove Washington (48), California (7), and New York (10) there are has only been about 20 deaths in the US so far.
    And if we remove the other 20 we have Zero!

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #797
      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      We don't have a good test to see if a person is dead?
      Well with a shortage of supply I would hope we're not posthumously administering tests.

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #798
        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        I support SU in his efforts to class up this joint.
        Our leader is not up to this crisis. He is very inflexible.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69716

          #799
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Our leader is not up to this crisis. He is very inflexible.
          Lol.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69716

            #800
            SU, I want to be very clear that I have never downplayed or ignored or minimized the economic devastation that we are facing. It is going to be a disaster. But the world has made a very clear decision: they would prefer a recession to millions of deaths. You can keep insisting that is the wrong call, but the ship has sailed.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • All-American
              Right, as Usual
              • Nov 2008
              • 15666

              #801
              Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              We don't have a good test to see if a person is dead?
              Not true. In this country we have an abundance of sticks. We can use these to poke the person. Very effective.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #802
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                I don't know anyone sick with this disease, but I probably know maybe 60 people who have lost their jobs already.
                They should talk to amazon about delivering packages...

                Amazon to Hire 100,000 Warehouse and Delivery Workers Amid Coronavirus Shutdowns
                Company will raise pay by $2 an hour for warehouse and delivery employees through April

                Amazon.com Inc. plans to hire an additional 100,000 employees in the U.S. as millions of people turn to online deliveries at an unprecedented pace and Americans continue to reorient their lives to limit the spread of the new coronavirus.
                [...]


                I guess pandemics are good for their business model.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69716

                  #803
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  Ted, long term, this doesn’t work. You got lucky this time. Most of the stock market’s gains and losses occur in bursts during narrow spans of time. And I don’t know how you can pick stocks unless it’s your full-time job. I’m glad you’re in mostly cash, because in this market you can get murdered owning a few stocks and trying to time the highs and lows.
                  I took comfort in this post. I am kicking myself for not moving to cash in January when this thing took off. Seems crystal clear in hindsight. But in general I agree with what you are saying. Trying to time highs and lows is foolish in the long run.

                  Logging on to my brokerage accounts takes my breath away. But it will come back.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • wapiti
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 2064

                    #804
                    Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    And if we remove the other 20 we have Zero!
                    You can't really remove California and NY, but the Washington number has an anomaly. To say we are running 11 days behind Italy is silly. Total cases will continue to go up as testing ramps up. But the number of deaths is looking a lot more linear than exponential. Hoping it will stay that way.

                    Country, Cases, Deaths
                    Germany 8604, 23
                    Austria 1332, 3
                    Switzerland 2700, 27
                    Norway 1443, 3
                    Czechia 396, 0

                    Take away Washington's anomaly and our numbers look a lot more like these than Italy.

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #805
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      SU, I want to be very clear that I have never downplayed or ignored or minimized the economic devastation that we are facing. It is going to be a disaster. But the world has made a very clear decision: they would prefer a recession to millions of deaths. You can keep insisting that is the wrong call, but the ship has sailed.
                      The subtext here is that millions of deaths would also result in worldwide economic ruin. This is a no-brainer.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69716

                        #806
                        This immediate delivery of cash to every American is probably a good thing, but I hope people that don't need it will pass it on to those that are the most susceptible.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #807
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          This immediate delivery of cash to every American is probably a good thing, but I hope people that don't need it will pass it on to those that are the most susceptible.
                          literally zero chance at all of that
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #808
                            Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                            You can't really remove California and NY, but the Washington number has an anomaly. To say we are running 11 days behind Italy is silly. Total cases will continue to go up as testing ramps up. But the number of deaths is looking a lot more linear than exponential. Hoping it will stay that way.

                            Country, Cases, Deaths
                            Germany 8604, 23
                            Austria 1332, 3
                            Switzerland 2700, 27
                            Norway 1443, 3
                            Czechia 396, 0

                            Take away Washington's anomaly and our numbers look a lot more like these than Italy.
                            Wasn't a large percentage of Washington's due to the virus getting into a couple of nursing homes?
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #809
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              This immediate delivery of cash to every American is probably a good thing, but I hope people that don't need it will pass it on to those that are the most susceptible.
                              Yeah, I would just donate it to BYU.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #810
                                The funny part is that Trump can issue a Muslim ban and overnight we have no entries from Iran, but when he found out about the virus back in January it was to keep it on the hush so his numbers wouldn't take a dive.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...