At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beefytee
    Board eye candy
    • Mar 2009
    • 7542

    #5026
    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I was surprised to learn from the debate last night that the H1N1 "swine flu" infected more than 60 million people in the US in the first year. If the swine flu had been as bad as Covid-19 we would have lost over two million folks on Obama's watch.
    Great logic there, because we know with a certainty that they wouldn't have done a single thing differently had the H1N1 been more fatal.

    It a good thing that Covid-19 isn't 100% fatal or we would have lost over 7 million folks on Trump's watch!

    Comment

    • Now who’s the dean?
      Pretty Good Guy
      • Aug 2020
      • 567

      #5027
      Has anyone looked into what would have happened if eating Wendy’s chicken nuggets was fatal?

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #5028
        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Attended an excellent class this evening taught by Phil Pizzo, former Dean of the Stanford Medical School, a Professor of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, and one of the co-authors of the letter written by Stanford medical experts challenging Trump’s COVID adviser, Scott Atlas.

        Pizzo was very Fauci-like (unsurprising since they’ve worked together for 45 years) in his presentation and demeanor, and packed in loads of information about viruses generally, how this one differs from others, and what he expects the future holds (he’s cautiously optimistic we’ll be back to normal by mid-2021). It was also nice that he essentially confirmed everything that JIC has been telling us the past few months (not that I ever doubted).

        He’s very concerned about the speed with which Russia and China are getting vaccines out. He mentioned that the premature release of a polio vaccine in the ‘50s, and of a swine flu vaccine in the ‘70s, resulted in a lot of terrible side effects and even death in a few instances. He fears that a similar occurrence with a premature release of a COVID vaccine will provide baseless support for the anti-Vaxxers.
        As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection


        Here’s some science for you.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Uncle Ted
          The Big 12 money shot.
          • Apr 2010
          • 28853

          #5029
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          https://gbdeclaration.org/

          Here’s some science for you.
          Science? We don't need your stink'n science! We choose truth over facts!

          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #5030
            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            Huh. I could have sworn you had some disdainful remarks about vigilant mask wearers in your area. Oh well.
            Are you talking about wearing masks alone in cars or outside not near anyone? Yeah, I’m disdainful of that.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69717

              #5031
              Open declarations that anyone can sign up for online are always fun. You can find a ton of these on climate change denial. And anti-vaxx.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Flystripper
                Degenerate Gambler
                • Nov 2008
                • 14094

                #5032
                Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
                Has anyone looked into what would have happened if eating Wendy’s chicken nuggets was fatal?
                well-played sir
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                Comment

                • Harry Tic
                  I've Made a Huge Mistake.
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 1660

                  #5033


                  The Lincoln Project is hit-or-miss, but this is absolutely awesome. Regeneron!

                  EDIT: Sound on for this one.
                  Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                  --William Blake, via Shpongle

                  Comment

                  • Northwestcoug
                    Cocked and Loaded
                    • May 2011
                    • 18029

                    #5034
                    Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                    https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...97485318217728

                    The Lincoln Project is hit-or-miss, but this is absolutely awesome. Regeneron!

                    EDIT: Sound on for this one.
                    That's pretty good. I liked this one also:

                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

                    Comment

                    • BigPiney
                      Huge Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12367

                      #5035
                      Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                      https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...97485318217728

                      The Lincoln Project is hit-or-miss, but this is absolutely awesome. Regeneron!

                      EDIT: Sound on for this one.
                      love it

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #5036
                        Damnit Utahns... if you screw up BYU's prefect season I am going to be pissed!

                        ‘Moment of reckoning’ for Utah? Something has to change, doctors say
                        Lawmaker-physician says Herbert’s ‘do the right thing’ mantra isn’t working

                        With another record-shattering day of COVID-19 cases on Thursday, some health experts say it’s crystal clear that Utah’s approach to stemming the pandemic hasn’t been working.

                        To Dr. Andrew Pavia, chief of pediatric infectious disease at the University of Utah, that reality fits a disturbing definition.

                        “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome,” Pavia told the Deseret News Thursday, hours before state officials announced a new daily record of 1,501 COVID-19 cases amid a nearly weeklong streak of over 1,000 cases a day.

                        “It’s clear we are at a point we need to pull out some new tools and do something differently.”
                        [...]
                        Utah surpasses Colorado
                        Utah’s spike in COVID-19 cases has propelled the Beehive State across a concerning milestone. Recently, Utah surpassed Colorado, its more populous neighbor, in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases. Utah has had 81,947 cases compared to Colorado’s count of 74,922.

                        And Utah, with a population of over 3.2 million, has about 2.5 million fewer people than Colorado, which has a population of more than 5.7 million.

                        Colorado has tested nearly 975,000 people, while Utah has tested 892,022, according to each state’s COVID-19 dashboards. Per capita, Utah’s infection rate is higher, with about 2,560 confirmed infections per 100,000, compared to Colorado’s 1,314 confirmed infections per 100,000.

                        Colorado, however, has seen more hospitalizations and many more deaths — with 7,771 and 2,085 respectively — compared to Utah’s 4,167 hospitalizations and 501 deaths as of Thursday. Per capita, Utah’s hospitalization and death rates are lower than Colorado’s.

                        Utah’s hospitalization rate is about 130 per 100,000 residents, while Colorado’s is 136 per 100,000. Utah’s death rate is about 15.6 per 100,000, while Colorado’s is 36.5 per 100,000.
                        [...]
                        On another record-breaking day of COVID-19 cases, Gov. Gary Herbert continued his rallying cry for Utahns to “do the right thing.” But as the hospital system is hitting a breaking point, medical experts say something more has to be done.


                        We could go to the Cotton Bowl! Get your sh*t together and wear your masks.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • beefytee
                          Board eye candy
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 7542

                          #5037
                          Why are we still judging people for wearing masks? Who cares if they are in their car all alone, or out for a walk? It is such a low cost precaution yet people who claim masks are the solution are still making a big deal about them.

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16938

                            #5038
                            Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                            Why are we still judging people for wearing masks? Who cares if they are in their car all alone, or out for a walk? It is such a low cost precaution yet people who claim masks are the solution are still making a big deal about them.
                            I picked up a sandwich at a local deli yesterday and put on a mask to enter the store. Approaching my home on the drive back, I realized I had forgotten to remove my mask and felt embarrassed, but thankful no one from CS had spotted me.

                            Comment

                            • Northwestcoug
                              Cocked and Loaded
                              • May 2011
                              • 18029

                              #5039
                              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              I picked up a sandwich at a local deli yesterday and put on a mask to enter the store. Approaching my home on the drive back, I realized I had forgotten to remove my mask and felt embarrassed, but thankful no one from CS had spotted me.
                              Same! I was driving from my office to the hospital, and I had totally forgotten to take off my mask for the 2 minute drive. I shudder to think how many people were disdainful of me!
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #5040
                                Confession: I went to get my brake pads replaced and when I stepped out of my car to let the guy pull it into the garage I forgot to grab a mask. Embarrassing!
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...