If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
"The idea of putting up (Confederate) monuments actually didn’t happen right after the Civil War. It happened during the 1960s."
"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
I thought the song started around 1828 or so and Jim Crow laws started in the 1830s for segregation. Or do you attribute that to the Post Reconstruction era when Democrats fought back? Are you referring to the 1890 Louisiana law as starting the era?
"Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."
Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.
It was a pretty good article. The distinction being one type of cancer is stage 4 lung cancer, and the other is squamous cell carcinoma.
I think you're giving the Anitfa folks too much credit. I've always regarded Nazi/White Supremacists as Super Mega Assholes. Antifa folks are just Mega Assholes. They aren't quite mirror images of each other but it's close enough you shouldn't be comfortable with either group.
I think you're giving the Anitfa folks too much credit. I've always regarded Nazi/White Supremacists as Super Mega Assholes. Antifa folks are just Mega Assholes. They aren't quite mirror images of each other but it's close enough you shouldn't be comfortable with either group.
No question they're both Mega Assholes. The difference that I see is that probably 75% of Americans had never heard of Antifa before this last week, whereas 99% of Americans not only know of, but abhor, the White-Supremacy movement.
No question they're both Mega Assholes. The difference that I see is that probably 75% of Americans had never heard of Antifa before this last week, whereas 99% of Americans not only know of, but abhor, the White-Supremacy movement.
It's time for a wake-up call.
For the record I started calling white supremacists assholes back on my mission when I met my first real AWB member. While I realize the terminology wasn't in the spirit of my purpose there really was no way to describe those guys other than as assholes.
The honoring history argument is bogus. These monuments were mostly built during the Jim Crow era by white supremacists. And the confederate flag came back into popularity during the civil rights movement in the 60's. Again by white supremacists.
Taking down monuments to people who dedicated their lives to preserving slavery is not erasing history.
Indeed. Here's a good article about the Baltimore statues, which really have no business being there since Maryland wasn't even a confederate state.
Why would a city in a state that sat out the Civil War erect a monument to Confederate generals in 1948?
"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
Antifa isn't equal to the Nazis, and it's not close. They are a reaction to the Nazis. This group really didn't exist in the US until the ascendancy of the altright. They aren't owned by the democrats. These guys are primarily anarchists who loathe fascists. They don't hassle people for being conservatives. BLM has more direct ties to democrats.
I don't have a problem with the Jim Crowe-era statues being moved to museums as part of exhibits on Jim Crowe. Put them in context, preserve them for historians, and make it clear that the statues aren't on display to be venerated.
Antifa isn't equal to the Nazis, and it's not close. They are a reaction to the Nazis. This group really didn't exist in the US until the ascendancy of the altright. They aren't owned by the democrats. These guys are primarily anarchists who loathe fascists. They don't hassle people for being conservatives. BLM has more direct ties to democrats.
They are commies and anarchists. Just like your average white supremacist tends to vote conservative the Antifa folks are left wingers who tend to vote for Democrat candidates. They swung more towards Bernie rather that Hillary. They aren't warm and fuzzy people and tend to not like you if your ideology doesn't align with theirs.
They clearly are. But what they need to do when they come back from recess is just get to work and ignore Trump. Just pass stuff and send it to his desk and let Trump sink or swim with what Congress wants. I'm getting sick of elected representatives acting like he's their boss.
Come on, folks. Let's stop with this false equivalency stuff.
For those of you with HBO/HBO Now, be sure to check out the recent Vice News bit on Charlottesville. Really well done. They mostly just let the cameras roll and it is mesmerizing.
"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment