No announcement yet.

The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the past couple of months I've been listening and reading with great interest various interviews/articles with Pete Buttigieg and he may be my favorite among the Dems. He's articulate and has Bernie-level sincerity, but seems far more pragmatic. He's also a strong family man (although the fact he has a husband may be a minor disadvantage in the Bible Belt), and is an Afghan war veteran. His small-scale executive experience (Mayor of South Bend, albeit a successful) and age ( he became eligible for the Presidency the day before Trump was elected) are major negatives, not to mention a bit too lefty for my tastes, but I expect his star will rise substantially in the coming months.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      For the past couple of months I've been listening and reading with great interest various interviews/articles with Pete Buttigieg and he may be my favorite among the Dems. He's articulate and has Bernie-level sincerity, but seems far more pragmatic. He's also a strong family man (although the fact he has a husband may be a minor disadvantage in the Bible Belt), and is an Afghan war veteran. His small-scale executive experience (Mayor of South Bend, albeit a successful) and age ( he became eligible for the Presidency the day before Trump was elected) are major negatives, not to mention a bit too lefty for my tastes, but I expect his star will rise substantially in the coming months.
      When I heard that Kamala Harris was up in the polls earlier this week, I felt a little bit of joy. I think I can tolerate radicalism in come candidates more than others. These privileged white New Englanders who are pushing the democratic party so far left with their personal ambition, i.e., Sanders and Warren, are loathsome, horrible. And Warren is such a hypocrite; how funny that she was condemning the defendants in the college admission scandal.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Biden must have it in the bag... he is selecting his running mate already:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...mmediate-vp-p/

It will be good to have Joe and his Firebird Trans AM back at the White House...

I know its minor, but needed to make that correction as a Firebird owner (1969 convertible).
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Wow... Drumpf could actually win the popular vote this next time:

Majority say they're open to re-electing Trump

A majority of registered voters in a new poll say they would consider voting President Trump into a second term.

Fifty-four percent in the Hill-HarrisX survey released Monday said they would think about voting for Trump
            [...]
            https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...the-idea-of-re

Does this mean Colorado could flip and become a red state?

Coloradans "Oh sh*t!!!"... Opponents working to repeal Colorado popular vote law
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Looks like the media is turning on Joe...

Lucy Flores isn’t alone. Joe Biden’s got a long history of touching women inappropriately.

The media gave Biden a pass for years. It won’t in 2020.

Democrat Lucy Flores was preparing to give one of her final stump speeches in a race for lieutenant governor in Nevada when she felt two hands on her shoulders. She froze. “Why is the vice-president of the United States touching me?” Flores wondered.

Flores recounts her experience with Joe Biden in a first-person essay for New York Magazine, describing an incident in 2014 where Biden came up behind her, leaned in, smelled her hair, and kissed the back of her head.

“Biden was the second-most powerful man in the country and, arguably, one of the most powerful men in the world. He was there to promote me as the right person for the lieutenant governor job. Instead, he made me feel uneasy, gross, and confused.”
              [...]
              https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tory-explained

Wait... didn't Joe say this just a few days ago?:

Women have been suffering in “a white man’s culture” — which has continually turned a blind eye to sexual assault and misconduct, according to former Vice President Joe Biden, who propped up Anita Hill as an example.
              https://nypost.com/2019/03/26/joe-bi...-mans-culture/

OK, who is the leading Dem candidate now? Bernie? Beto?
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Joe Biden Is Done

Joe Biden is a creepy old goat. Everyone knows this. There is much photographic evidence of him crossing the line with women. He’s also a liar and a buffoon
                [...]
                https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ial-candidacy/

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

OK, who is the leading Dem candidate now? Bernie? Beto?
                  Buttigeig. I’m pretty sure he hasn’t touched a woman inappropriately.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    For the past couple of months I've been listening and reading with great interest various interviews/articles with Pete Buttigieg and he may be my favorite among the Dems. He's articulate and has Bernie-level sincerity, but seems far more pragmatic.
                    I guess Buttigieg just published a book, so he's been on ALL of the talk shows. His ideas sound good to me.

If he goes up against Trump, I'm waiting for the bumper sticker:
                    Vote for the Adulterer
                    Not the Gay Guy

Comment

• This is a good guy offering symbolic primary opposition to Mango Madman. He fits the mold of a genuine libertarian, and had indignity of being looney Gary Johnson's running mate last election:

Bill Weld Is Taking On The Trump Monster Because Some Republican Has To
                      The former Massachusetts governor is the first — and so far, only — Republican to challenge the president in the 2020 primaries.

Today, at age 73, Weld says he remains a conservative when it comes to spending and taxes. He says he would cut taxes even beyond where Republicans have cut them during the George W. Bush and Trump presidencies but would do so only after cutting spending first.

Yet even to conservative audiences, Weld speaks about his commitment to inclusion of racial minorities and the LGBT community. At a meeting with advocates for domestic violence victims, he explains how, as governor, he forced judges to undergo training so abused women would no longer have to hear “what did you do to annoy your husband or boyfriend” from the bench. He takes credit for having introduced “battered women’s syndrome” into case law in Massachusetts and for having commuted the sentences of eight women sent to prison for killing abusive partners.

On Trump’s fitness for the job: “Basically, for his career, he was a New York and Palm Beach socialite who spent his time judging beauty contests, and that’s not preparation for being in the Oval Office. It’s almost small wonder that he would say, ‘Oh, yeah, you tell women you’re a star, you can grab ‘em anywhere you want.’ Well, we don’t need to put up with that in the Oval Office.”

About Trump’s attacks on NATO and traditional Western European allies: “Vladimir Putin, in his wildest dreams, never could have imagined an American president saying something like that.”

On Trump’s admiration for the dictators like Putin in Russia or Kim Jong Un in North Korea: “It’s no secret that he’s kind of cozied up to the foreign leaders who are despots and autocratic, and I hope that’s not a prelude to trying to import that kind of government into the United States. Sometimes it seems like it is.”
                      https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b0474c08ceaaaa
                      Last edited by frank ryan; 03-31-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Hilarious
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Biden looks really old.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Biden looks really old.
                              There is a good explanation for that.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X