Dave Letterman and Sarah Palin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #31
    Man do I hate this kind of internecine media navel gazing. Like the CNN O'Reily war the other day, or Glen Beck and Barbara Walters on The View, or Arianna Huffington just about always... just cut it out already! The only people who do this right are Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and it works for them because they play it for laughs. In other words, they present it as the minor crap that it is.

    But there is real NEWS going on. The media is so freaking broken.

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #32
      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
      Man do I hate this kind of internecine media navel gazing. Like the CNN O'Reily war the other day, or Glen Beck and Barbara Walters on The View, or Arianna Huffington just about always... just cut it out already! The only people who do this right are Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and it works for them because they play it for laughs. In other words, they present it as the minor crap that it is.

      But there is real NEWS going on. The media is so freaking broken.
      Do Colbert and Stewart go after Obama now? I haven't watched in a long time because it was clear they had no intention of ever going after liberal politicians. I was assured this was because Bush was in office, and therefore a bigger target.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #33
        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        But there is real NEWS going on. The media is so freaking broken.
        I have yet to read about this on any US media outlet.

        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        You probably thought that because the Palins had already made that assertion. I'm paraphrasing their own words, but they said Letterman made a joke about A-Rod raping their 14 year old daughter. The first I ever heard about the joke was a story about the Palins' comments and I, without seeing the joke, made the assumption that the joke was about A-Rod having sex with 14 year-old Willow. So, you viewed the joke for the first time after hearing about the Palins' comments.

        If I had been watching Letterman that night, I would have immediately assumed the joke was about Bristol. You probably would have also. Why would anyone assume the joke was about Willow?
        I don't see how they could think it was about their younger daughter.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #34
          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/06/conan...letterman.html

          Not according to last night's ratings.
          But last night there was a hockey game! And the premiere of that obstacle course show on ABC!
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • beefytee
            Board eye candy
            • Mar 2009
            • 7542

            #35
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            As I mentioned to Barbara, I only bring it up because of the liberal bias in the media. I would never say anything about Obama's kids personally, but the fact is, it's ok to target conservatives, but not liberals.
            I love how a late night talk show has a liberal bias. Like there is some equal opportunity humor or something. I need my humor fair and balanced.

            Of course he has been taking shots at Repulicans the last few years, because they were in power. Back when Clinton was in office, he took a lot of shots at him about his love for McDonalds and ladies (he still takes jabs at Clinton). The problem with Obama is that they haven't found a shtick that sticks yet. Once the late night folks find it, you have to know they will hammer it home, just like they did with Clinton and Bush.

            When I watch these shows, I'm looking to be entertained. To think they have some kind of political motivation is ridiculous. It's all about ratings.

            Comment

            • Babs
              Not a Lawyer
              • Nov 2008
              • 17128

              #36
              Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              I love how a late night talk show has a liberal bias. Like there is some equal opportunity humor or something. I need my humor fair and balanced.

              Of course he has been taking shots at Repulicans the last few years, because they were in power. Back when Clinton was in office, he took a lot of shots at him about his love for McDonalds and ladies (he still takes jabs at Clinton). The problem with Obama is that they haven't found a shtick that sticks yet. Once the late night folks find it, you have to know they will hammer it home, just like they did with Clinton and Bush.
              No, humor with Obama is a much more delicate matter, for obvious reasons.

              Comment

              • JohnnyLingo
                La Naranja
                • Nov 2008
                • 3976

                #37
                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                No, humor with Obama is a much more delicate matter, for obvious reasons.
                Bingo. He is different because of his skin color. Racism lives on.

                Comment

                • beefytee
                  Board eye candy
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 7542

                  #38
                  Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                  No, humor with Obama is a much more delicate matter, for obvious reasons.
                  I don't know. I think they can get past that, eventually.

                  They are joking about Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda when it can certainly be a minefield with the religious aspects and catastrophic events.

                  Once they find an area that people respond to, they will be making cracks at Obama. Nobody knows how that will go yet.

                  You got to admit they had a lot of low hanging fruit to pick from with Clinton and Bush 2. I don't know that it will be as easy with Obama.
                  Last edited by beefytee; 06-11-2009, 07:01 PM.

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #39
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    Bingo. He is different because of his skin color. Racism lives on.
                    [YOUTUBE]
                    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sKOa6nv6wDc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sKOa6nv6wDc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Hallelujah
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 2741

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_214128.html

                      I've been fairly clear in the past that I dislike Sarah Palin, or have at least said that she's unfit to be President of the United States.

                      Her response to Letterman's pseudo apology and invitation to appear on the show makes her look petty.

                      “The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show,” said Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton. “Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman.”

                      Palin doesn't have to appear on the show, I probably wouldn't if I were in her position. But the last bit about "keeping Willow away from David Letterman" is just ridiculous. Not funny, immature and Letterman now appears like he's taking the high road even though he made the initial unfunny joke about Bristol Palin.

                      What would be the public response if the same had been said about the Obama girls?

                      Comment

                      • Hallelujah
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 2741

                        #41
                        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                        Bingo. He is different because of his skin color. Racism lives on.
                        He's a different skin color? I was trying to be color blind but the media keeps drudging up his skin color / ethnicity. Isn't his mother white.....btw?

                        Comment

                        • Babs
                          Not a Lawyer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 17128

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                          What would be the public response if the same had been said about the Obama girls?
                          This question has already been asked and answered, exie. Try to keep up.

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #43
                            Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                            I don't know. I think they can get past that, eventually.
                            Absolutely they'll find jokes to make about his political or personal blunders, but still joking about Obama will be a much more delicate matter than it was with his two predecessors.

                            Comment

                            • RobinFinderson
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10548

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              No, humor with Obama is a much more delicate matter, for obvious reasons.
                              What is the obvious reason? Because he is black? Because he doesn't supply as much low fruit as others? Because with the economy tracking pretty close to the Great Depression, the challenge of navigating through these times just isn't that funny? I hope you mean one of the latter reasons, because otherwise I think you are inappropriately interjecting race into an issue where it doesn't belong. Look which CUFers jumped at the chance to finish your thought.

                              Both Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are doing a fine job with Obama. They have done some fine montages demonstrating that his rhetoric is often exactly the same as Bush's (word for word) that he evokes God with great frequency (like Bush) and that he flip flops all over the place.

                              Comment

                              • JohnnyLingo
                                La Naranja
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 3976

                                #45
                                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                                =

                                Both Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are doing a fine job with Obama. They have done some fine montages demonstrating that his rhetoric is often exactly the same as Bush's (word for word) that he evokes God with great frequency (like Bush) and that he flip flops all over the place.
                                I am truly glad to hear it. I like those guys, but when they were playing the same note over and over it got old and frustrating.

                                Thanks for the update.

                                Comment

                                Working...