Dave Letterman and Sarah Palin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Color Me Badd Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 12519

    #1

    Dave Letterman and Sarah Palin



    I've been fairly clear in the past that I dislike Sarah Palin, or have at least said that she's unfit to be President of the United States.

    Her response to Letterman's pseudo apology and invitation to appear on the show makes her look petty.

    “The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show,” said Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton. “Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman.”

    Palin doesn't have to appear on the show, I probably wouldn't if I were in her position. But the last bit about "keeping Willow away from David Letterman" is just ridiculous. Not funny, immature and Letterman now appears like he's taking the high road even though he made the initial unfunny joke about Bristol Palin.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #2
    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_214128.html

    Her response to Letterman's pseudo apology and invitation to appear on the show makes her look petty.

    “The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show,” said Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton. “Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman.”

    Palin doesn't have to appear on the show, I probably wouldn't if I were in her position. But the last bit about "keeping Willow away from David Letterman" is just ridiculous. Not funny, immature and Letterman now appears like he's taking the high road even though he made the initial unfunny joke about Bristol Palin.
    I agree. The Palins should have just ignored the whole thing.

    Comment

    • beelzebabette
      Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
      • Nov 2008
      • 2907

      #3
      I wish she'd just disappear from the national spotlight, but I see no problem with the addendum. Even if it's not funny--it appears she was going for humor--it's no worse than Letterman's jokes. I like to see late-night fodder respond in kind from time to time.

      Comment

      • Color Me Badd Fan
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 12519

        #4
        Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
        I wish she'd just disappear from the national spotlight, but I see no problem with the addendum. Even if it's not funny--it appears she was going for humor--it's no worse than Letterman's jokes. I like to see late-night fodder respond in kind from time to time.
        Sarah Palin is clearly acting like she is running in 2012. And the sad thing is, there seems to be no shortage of people that support her. Holy hell, she would put the nails in the coffin that W made for the GOP.

        The correct response would have been a short and terse "we accept Letterman's limited apology but we don't have plans to appear on his show right now." Palin appears magnaminous and thick-skinned (as opposed to her repeated actions that suggest the exact opposite).
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          I don't think Palin fired back enough at Letterman. She should have torn him a new one for his loathsome comment about her daughter.

          If someone makes a tasteless joke like that bout my daughter, I'd hunt the guy down and give him the ass-kicking of his life.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • Color Me Badd Fan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 12519

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            I don't think Palin fired back enough at Letterman. She should have torn him a new one for his loathsome comment about her daughter.

            If someone makes a tasteless joke like that bout my daughter, I'd hunt the guy down and give him the ass-kicking of his life.
            Sure, you can do that but you would also ruin your chance at being President of the United states.

            I haven't liked Letterman for years. His show and humor seems to have taken on a far more negative and liberal edge, though honestly I don't watch the show because it simply isn't funny anymore. His joke was clearly inapproriate and crossed the line. The girl's 18 years old and went through a teen pregnancy, leave her alone.

            John McCain made a joke at a Republican Senate Fundraiser about Chelsea Clinton several years ago that I think was probably more inapproriate than Letterman's joke. It's one thing to make a joke about something that Bristol herself played a significant role in causing, it's another thing to make a joke about a young woman's physical appearance (Chelsea Clinton was 18 years old at the time). Of course Bill Clinton heard about it, didn't even say anything and John McCain apologized to him.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

            Comment

            • Babs
              Not a Lawyer
              • Nov 2008
              • 17128

              #7
              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_214128.html

              I've been fairly clear in the past that I dislike Sarah Palin, or have at least said that she's unfit to be President of the United States.

              “The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show,” said Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton.

              Her response to Letterman's pseudo apology and invitation to appear on the show makes her look petty.
              Petty and full of herself.

              I don't particularly like Letterman's brand of humor, but Bristol has chosen to make herself a public figure -- independent of her mother -- and she's going to have to learn to take the attention that comes with the territory.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                Simple rule about politics: use kids as props, open them up for criticism.

                Don't whore your kids out to the media and the media generally respects the privacy of the children.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #9
                  Was the joke Letterman made about Bristol or the younger daughter?
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • Babs
                    Not a Lawyer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 17128

                    #10
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Simple rule about politics: use kids as props, open them up for criticism.

                    Don't whore your kids out to the media and the media generally respects the privacy of the children.
                    No matter. She's not a child. She's an adult, and she's chosen to cash in on her family name. She's fair game.

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #11
                      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                      Was the joke Letterman made about Bristol or the younger daughter?
                      Bristol, though it was poor construction on his part.

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        Bristol, though it was poor construction on his part.
                        That's where the confusion is on my part. I thought it was about the younger one.
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • Donuthole
                          Official Outgayer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 25271

                          #13
                          As a moderate Republican, I couldn't be happier with this. The sooner Sarah Palin convinces the rest of the Republican Party that she's not fit for national leadership, the better.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #14
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            Was the joke Letterman made about Bristol or the younger daughter?
                            Since the joke was about getting knocked up, my guess is that it was about the daughter that got knocked up....then proceeded to sell herself to several magazines in order to get media attention.

                            Of course, it is possible that Letterman was joking about the 10 year old kid, or however old the kid is.

                            Bristol pregnancy jokes are nothing new. SNL made several of them.

                            Drill baby drill!
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Babs
                              Not a Lawyer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 17128

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Since the joke was about getting knocked up, my guess is that it was about the daughter that got knocked up....then proceeded to sell herself to several magazines in order to get media attention.

                              Of course, it is possible that Letterman was joking about the 10 year old kid, or however old the kid is.
                              14.

                              Personally, I think it's just wishful thinking on Willow's part.

                              Comment

                              Working...