The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    I know this was a joke but since one person has already died, it is safe to assume more will die.
    No question. Congress should definitely do something about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      That is a sad case, and the border control officer should be prosecuted for murder. But by an American court. The civil suit, which is what this decision is about, is less important to me.
      It's an interesting legal question, since the murderer was in one country and the victim in another, where did the murder "occur?" This SCOTUS decision (in the link at the end of this sentence) holds that separate "sovereigns" can try someone for the same crime without running afoul of the 5th Amendment: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/474/82/ However, since the murderer didn't cross the border with his body, only his bullet, can he be said to have violated the peace of a different sovereign? I suppose the state could decide to prosecute him if the feds won't since their peace was violated by his action, even in the capacity of representing the federal government. This decision was all about Heritage Foundation resistance to international tribunals and the actions of US troops/agents while engaged in American foreign policy overseas. Conservative justices will always side with sovereignty over what's right.

With all of that said, Congress can and should create a statute that says that any federal agent illegally discharging a firearm (as determined by a US court) into another nation can be extradited and delivered up for prosecution to the authorities of the injured nation, and the victim or their heirs shall have standing to sue for civil damages in an American court.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I got mocked when I stated that my number one issue in the last election was the appointment of judges....
        Single issue voting deserves to be mocked.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Alito is a gold medalist in mental gymnastics. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...atrol-n1142486

This ruling is going to get people killed.
          "The Constitution does not stop at the border.”

Um....
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Single issue voting deserves to be mocked.
            I never stated I was a single-issue voter. It is my top priority.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
              "The Constitution does not stop at the border.”

Um....
              My thoughts as well. If it doesn't stop at the border, where does it stop? Is it therefore the supreme law of Mexico or subservient to the Mexican Constitution. If it is subservient to the Mexican Constitution in Mexico, how far down in the hierarchy does it fall? So many unanswered questions.
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                My thoughts as well. If it doesn't stop at the border, where does it stop? Is it therefore the supreme law of Mexico or subservient to the Mexican Constitution. If it is subservient to the Mexican Constitution in Mexico, how far down in the hierarchy does it fall? So many unanswered questions.
                I'd argue that the quote is referring to the laws that the Constitution allows us to create in Congress; they do not stop at the border when they govern the behavior of citizens of the United States, or of people in the United States who are from other countries (save diplomats). This is how we're able to have laws that criminalize behavior by citizens that they do in other countries (e.g., sexual tourism). That ACLU lawyer seemed to be arguing that the ability of the kid's parents to sue should've been extended to this case because the CBP agent is an American.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  How can any man not find this type of thing terrifying?

Some woman you don’t know shows up with a made-up story about something she claims happened decades earlier and it destroys your reputation, smears you in the public eye?

Has the world gone completely insane? Stuff like this has to cause a backlash and delegitimize all the legit #metoo stuff that is out there.
                  Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  How can you say with confidence that it's made up?

False rape or sexual assault claims are no jokes and can ruin lives, but so can the backlash someone receives for reporting a powerful person did something like this.

I'll wait to hear more.
                  Trump had several allegations of sexual assault. Republicans didn't give a shit, and that's not why he won. This won't be why he wins in 2020, if that's the case.

Still doesn't answer my question of why you're so confident this woman is lying. It's not usual for people not to report sexual abuse that happened when they were younger, in fact that's more common.

I don't know if this lady is telling the truth, and neither do you. It's certainly possible Kavanaugh is a creep.
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I think you just proved Cardiacs point.
                  That the lady made it up and is lying?
                  Can you confidently say she is not lying?
                  I've already said that.
                  Don't you see that that is exactly the problem? If you can't possibly prove or disprove something like this, then Cardiac is right. It is grossly unfair and could be misused against anyone, regardless of circumstances. That doesn't disturb you?
                  Cardiac shouldn't say he knows it's made up. He doesn't know that. The idea of allegations from years ago damaging reputations, yes that is scary, but I still want to hear what these women say.
                  Ah. Memories.
                  Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 03-29-2020, 12:20 AM.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Ah. Memories.
                    Good times.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• 6-3 ruling striking down non-unanimous jury convictions. Oregon thanks the SCOTUS for the cover so they don't have to be associated with Louisiana anymore.

(Yes, I know Oregon's shameful racist past. Just happy not to be mentioned in the same sentence as Louisiana anymore!)
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        6-3 ruling striking down non-unanimous jury convictions. Oregon thanks the SCOTUS for the cover so they don't have to be associated with Louisiana anymore.

(Yes, I know Oregon's shameful racist past. Just happy not to be mentioned in the same sentence as Louisiana anymore!)
                        There were some strange bedfellows in that vote. Gorsuch, Kavanaughh, Ginsbug, Sotomayor, Thomas, and Breyer for and Roberts, Alito, and Kagan against.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• #MeToo is now trying to walk itself back a bit, with help from the Washington Post.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
                          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            #MeToo is now trying to walk itself back a bit, with help from the Washington Post.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
                            Yeah, that got really inconvenient for Dems pretty quickly.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Supreme Court holds that Title VII protects employees from discrimination on the basis of sexuality or transgender status ... in an 6-3 decision written by Justice Gorsuch (and joined by Roberts and the liberals).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/u...gtype=Homepage

Comment

• Supreme Court blocks Trump from canceling Daca.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...am-11592489280
                                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                                X