SCOTUS

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16938

    #391
    I enjoyed John Oliver's show Sunday when he described the amount (in the millions) and kinds of gifts Clarence Thomas has received during his tenure on the Court. I was especially amused by Oliver's dead-serious offer to Thomas. If Thomas resigns within 30 days, Oliver will pay him $1 Million a year for the rest of Thomas's life, along with an amazingly tricked out RV with a value of $2.4 million (much better than the very nice RV Thomas currently drives and, I believe, was gifted to him years ago). Sadly, I'm sure he won't accept.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69715

      #392
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I enjoyed John Oliver's show Sunday when he described the amount (in the millions) and kinds of gifts Clarence Thomas has received during his tenure on the Court. I was especially amused by Oliver's dead-serious offer to Thomas. If Thomas resigns within 30 days, Oliver will pay him $1 Million a year for the rest of Thomas's life, along with an amazingly tricked out RV with a value of $2.4 million (much better than the very nice RV Thomas currently drives and, I believe, was gifted to him years ago). Sadly, I'm sure he won't accept.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • chrisrenrut
        Strikes and Gutters
        • Jul 2009
        • 2299

        #393
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I’m sure his current owners won’t let him go without a fight.

        Comment

        • USUC
          Chronic Poseur
          • Apr 2010
          • 8794

          #394
          Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

          I’m sure his current owners won’t let him go without a fight.
          Implying that a succesful black man must be owned, instead of making it due to his own intellect and abilities, is a bit racist, no?

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69715

            #395
            Originally posted by USUC View Post

            Implying that a succesful black man must be owned, instead of making it due to his own intellect and abilities, is a bit racist, no?
            He was joking
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #396
              Originally posted by USUC View Post

              Implying that a succesful black man must be owned, instead of making it due to his own intellect and abilities, is a bit racist, no?
              OMG! I've posted more than my share of bad takes on this site, but at least I was mostly drunk when I did. Do you even drink? If not, follow the old adage of "think twice, post once".
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • Commando
                Explosivo
                • Feb 2009
                • 20748

                #397
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                See this is why the Babylon Bee misses way more than it hits. It is politics first, humor second. You never see the Onion whiff like this...
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69715

                  #398
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post

                  See this is why the Babylon Bee misses way more than it hits. It is politics first, humor second. You never see the Onion whiff like this...
                  I laughed.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • USUC
                    Chronic Poseur
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 8794

                    #399
                    Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                    OMG! I've posted more than my share of bad takes on this site, but at least I was mostly drunk when I did. Do you even drink? If not, follow the old adage of "think twice, post once".
                    Sigh

                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I refuse to explain any more of my jokes to you guys on the spectrum.

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #400
                      I don't fault you for laughing, but I rolled my eyes. It could have been funny, but they went for the partisan jab instead. "Another Democrat" as though Democrats are always trying to buy slaves, and as though it's Democrats flying the Confederate Battle Flag, for that matter. It feels exhausting that Republicans and GOP sympathizers are always trying so hard to remind everyone that southern Democrats were the slavers while trying to blur the part of history where Democrats became the progressive party and Republicans became the conservatives over the Civil Rights Act. It's like they know they are on the wrong side of history but try to very loudly remind everyone of the time when Republicans were on the right side of history as though they get points for now belonging to a party they definitely would not have belonged to during Jim Crow and Reconstruction...
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69715

                        #401
                        Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        I don't fault you for laughing, but I rolled my eyes. It could have been funny, but they went for the partisan jab instead. "Another Democrat" as though Democrats are always trying to buy slaves, and as though it's Democrats flying the Confederate Battle Flag, for that matter. It feels exhausting that Republicans and GOP sympathizers are always trying so hard to remind everyone that southern Democrats were the slavers while trying to blur the part of history where Democrats became the progressive party and Republicans became the conservatives over the Civil Rights Act. It's like they know they are on the wrong side of history but try to very loudly remind everyone of the time when Republicans were on the right side of history as though they get points for now belonging to a party they definitely would not have belonged to during Jim Crow and Reconstruction...
                        I think you are taking all of this way too seriously. John Oliver was joking. They were joking in response.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Non Sequitur
                          Where did I put my bodkin
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5773

                          #402
                          Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          I don't fault you for laughing, but I rolled my eyes. It could have been funny, but they went for the partisan jab instead. "Another Democrat" as though Democrats are always trying to buy slaves, and as though it's Democrats flying the Confederate Battle Flag, for that matter. It feels exhausting that Republicans and GOP sympathizers are always trying so hard to remind everyone that southern Democrats were the slavers while trying to blur the part of history where Democrats became the progressive party and Republicans became the conservatives over the Civil Rights Act. It's like they know they are on the wrong side of history but try to very loudly remind everyone of the time when Republicans were on the right side of history as though they get points for now belonging to a party they definitely would not have belonged to during Jim Crow and Reconstruction...
                          You don't even have to go that far back. Today you have MAGA people ascribe hero status to Ronald Reagan, while not realizing that Reagan would likely be disgusted by what Trump has done to American politics.
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #403
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                            I think you are taking all of this way too seriously. John Oliver was joking. They were joking in response.
                            Maybe. I think I was just riffing on why I didn't think it was funny, but if they had made the jab about him being British it would have been much better.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • Commando
                              Explosivo
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 20748

                              #404
                              Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                              You don't even have to go that far back. Today you have MAGA people ascribe hero status to Ronald Reagan, while not realizing that Reagan would likely be disgusted by what Trump has done to American politics.
                              This is true. What would have Reagan or shit... George W have done if they saw a confederate flag at a campaign event? McCain would have blown a fking gasket..
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                              Comment

                              • LVAllen
                                Senior Member
                                • Oct 2013
                                • 3275

                                #405
                                Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I don't fault you for laughing, but I rolled my eyes. It could have been funny, but they went for the partisan jab instead. "Another Democrat" as though Democrats are always trying to buy slaves, and as though it's Democrats flying the Confederate Battle Flag, for that matter. It feels exhausting that Republicans and GOP sympathizers are always trying so hard to remind everyone that southern Democrats were the slavers while trying to blur the part of history where Democrats became the progressive party and Republicans became the conservatives over the Civil Rights Act. It's like they know they are on the wrong side of history but try to very loudly remind everyone of the time when Republicans were on the right side of history as though they get points for now belonging to a party they definitely would not have belonged to during Jim Crow and Reconstruction...
                                Local county party is holding a Lincoln-Douglass Dinner. Normally, you'd think that would have some reference to the Lincoln-Douglas debates, and that the party can't spell. Nope. They are referring to Frederick Douglass, and proudly holding out his statement that he was a firm Republican, as if Frederick Douglass would have anything but contempt for the modern GOP.

                                Comment

                                Working...