Modesty...what does it mean?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Topper
    Pre-Historic Man
    • Nov 2011
    • 11764

    #211
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Is this the dress you're talking about?

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4903[/ATTACH]
    If you're going to be on the meat market, you should "meat" that standard.

    My complaint regarding proms is the cost and expense families endure for a social rite of passage. Some mother or father, and infrequently the teen, expend about $1000 or more per prom for the purpose of showing up for pictures, going out for an expensive meal and not dancing and then hanging out with friends. You could go to Hawaii for the money spent and have far better memories. These social rites of passage need to be rethought. And mothers should help their daughters with good taste. It's no wonder shows like Makeover are a hit. People attire themselves atrociously. And again, I doubt I'd care if the cost element weren't so outrageous.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #212
      Originally posted by Topper View Post
      If you're going to be on the meat market, you should "meat" that standard.

      My complaint regarding proms is the cost and expense families endure for a social rite of passage. Some mother or father, and infrequently the teen, expend about $1000 or more per prom for the purpose of showing up for pictures, going out for an expensive meal and not dancing and then hanging out with friends. You could go to Hawaii for the money spent and have far better memories. These social rites of passage need to be rethought. And mothers should help their daughters with good taste. It's no wonder shows like Makeover are a hit. People attire themselves atrociously. And again, I doubt I'd care if the cost element weren't so outrageous.
      I hate proms too, but there is something valuable in rites of passage. Yesterday you said that you would do away with convocations and commencements too. Like all long-term traditions, it's human nature to constantly improve upon what's been done before; we also fetishize things like that. The ridiculous birthday parties, proms, weddings, and the like are less products of excess and pride and more of human ingenuity and the drive to create and improve.

      Discarding old ceremonies isn't always wise. People can spend their money on whatever potlatch they want.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Topper
        Pre-Historic Man
        • Nov 2011
        • 11764

        #213
        I understand sociologists find these to be useful. Some like an Academy commencement may invoke pride. But most are just fanfare to get alumni to donate later. Let the knowledge be the key not the pomp and circumstance.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

        Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

        Comment

        • cowboy
          Homer Weems
          • Dec 2008
          • 5740

          #214
          To the original question, my wife and I agree that boys and girls should have the same modesty standards. If a girl isn't showing her boobs, I'm okay with whatever top she chooses. Same with shorts, if their butt isn't hanging out, I don't care what they wear, boy or girl. I don't know how we ever got to the point where we expect girls to dress as if they have been married in the temple.

          On the other hand, I think bare arms are usually unflattering, and I think its rare that a girl/woman looks good in sleeveless stuff. There are exceptions, but that's just my opinion.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

          Comment

          • Copelius
            Maker of eyeballs
            • Dec 2012
            • 4065

            #215
            Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            To the original question, my wife and I agree that boys and girls should have the same modesty standards. If a girl isn't showing her boobs, I'm okay with whatever top she chooses. Same with shorts, if their butt isn't hanging out, I don't care what they wear, boy or girl. I don't know how we ever got to the point where we expect girls to dress as if they have been married in the temple.

            On the other hand, I think bare arms are usually unflattering, and I think its rare that a girl/woman looks good in sleeveless stuff. There are exceptions, but that's just my opinion.
            So by your standards is this out or in?

            images.jpg
            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

            Comment

            • imanihonjin
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2013
              • 3772

              #216
              Originally posted by Copelius View Post
              So by your standards is this out or in?

              [ATTACH]4906[/ATTACH]
              Dude, NSFW.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #217
                Yo go, girl!

                chicks and bros walk out of class yesterday in protest. :rockon1:

                http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31671598&nid=148&s_cid=rec2

                Some of the students say the dress standards are too strict and not enforced equally. The dress code at Bingham High on Saturday included dresses that cover the chest and back at the armpit, and hemlines that should go no higher than mid-thigh when seated.
                "I was a little sad,” said Spencer Dunford, Bingham High's student body president. “I wanted them to come in, but we gave them plenty of warning.”
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Walter Sobchak
                  Adventurer
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 3815

                  #218
                  Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  To the original question, my wife and I agree that boys and girls should have the same modesty standards. If a girl isn't showing her boobs, I'm okay with whatever top she chooses.
                  Actual conversation today with the wife:
                  [wife] I bought you a Gilligan outfit for the Halloween party.
                  [me] OK. You going as Maryanne or Ginger?
                  [wife, holding up newly purchased satin dress with spaghetti straps] Ginger.
                  [me] Can't wait to see you in that.
                  [wife] I'll be wearing a nude-colored top underneath this.
                  [me] Awww. It's not like you would be showing your boobs or anything.
                  [wife] You know I don't like that word.

                  lol.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                  Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #219
                    i think the fastest way to de-sexify a strapless Ginger dress is to wear a nude colored top that has visible sleeve and neck lines. Second fastest would be an extra long white t shirt from Shade.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • PaloAltoCougar
                      Semper infra dignitatem
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 16938

                      #220
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      i think the fastest way to de-sexify a strapless Ginger dress is to wear a nude colored top that has visible sleeve and neck lines. Second fastest would be an extra long white t shirt from Shade.
                      Yeah, that would certainly keep his Little Buddy in check.

                      Comment

                      • Dwight Schr-ute
                        Members Only
                        • May 2011
                        • 4917

                        #221
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Yo go, girl!

                        chicks and bros walk out of class yesterday in protest. :rockon1:

                        http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31671598&nid=148&s_cid=rec2



                        Dudes very motivated in this protest. Loosen the standards! To make things fair, guys should be able to wear suits made out of duct tape.

                        I keep wanting to put the new Miss America John Oliver clip in this thread but it's not a perfect fit and I don't want to be inappropriate.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #222
                          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Yeah, that would certainly keep his Little Buddy in check.
                          It might keep him stuck in a Krebs cycle.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #223
                            Burkini bans continue a long history of men controlling women’s beachwear
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            Working...