Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #106
    Originally posted by Uncle Ted
    her
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

    Comment

    • Walter Sobchak
      Adventurer
      • Oct 2009
      • 3815

      #107
      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      No worse... an ex-con farting around on her cell phone
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

      Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #108
        Dashcam video...



        Yep, skynet.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69717

          #109
          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Dashcam video...

          Yep, skynet.
          Yep, farting around on her phone.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Uncle Ted
            The Big 12 money shot.
            • Apr 2010
            • 28853

            #110
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Yep, farting around on her phone.
            How do you know it wasn't skynet forced her to be looking at her phone?
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • CardiacCoug
              вот так штука
              • Nov 2008
              • 11013

              #111
              OK I guess self-driving cars are farther away than I thought.

              I’m surprised the car didn’t detect this lady easily, honestly.

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #112
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Yep, farting voluntarily manslaughtering around on her phone.
                Are you sure that's a man?
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • beefytee
                  Board eye candy
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 7542

                  #113
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  OK I guess self-driving cars are farther away than I thought.

                  I’m surprised the car didn’t detect this lady easily, honestly.
                  This could possibly be chalked up to Uber playing fast and loose. Their California permit was revoke and Arizona welcome them with open arms and little oversight.

                  https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/12...cancels-pilot/

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #114
                    Uber disabled the safety systems and wrote the software...

                    Fatal driverless crash: Radar-maker says Uber disabled safety systems

                    Uber reportedly disabled safety systems on the autonomous Volvo XC90 that killed a pedestrian Stateside last week, according to the makers of the car's sensors.


                    "We don't want people to be confused or think it was a failure of the technology that we supply for Volvo, because that's not the case," Zach Peterson, a spokesman for Aptiv, told Bloomberg.


                    Uber declined to comment to The Register, though it did confirm that it wrote the software the car was running. Aptiv, a UK-based maker of car parts including radars and cameras, did not respond to our enquiries. The company was formerly known as Delphi Automotive. In 2015 Delphi stated, and later denied, that a vehicle it was using for self-driving technology trials was involved in a near-miss with a rival car operated by Google.

                    [...]



                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Omaha 680
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 11182

                      #115
                      Just read Uber already reached a settlement with the family of the woman who was killed. That was extremely quick.

                      Comment

                      • Pelado
                        Bald not naked
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 21143

                        #116
                        Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        Just read Uber already reached a settlement with the family of the woman who was killed. That was extremely quick.
                        I'm guessing they don't want it in the news any longer.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

                        Comment

                        • SteelBlue
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8189

                          #117
                          I saw the video of the pedestrian getting hit. Based on what I saw I think she’d have been hit by many/most human drivers. The disturbing thing is why did the radar miss her? Shouldn’t this have been a case where the self-driving car proved it sees things humans might miss?

                          Comment

                          • Donuthole
                            Official Outgayer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 25268

                            #118
                            Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                            I saw the video of the pedestrian getting hit. Based on what I saw I think she’d have been hit by many/most human drivers. The disturbing thing is why did the radar miss her? Shouldn’t this have been a case where the self-driving car proved it sees things humans might miss?

                            https://youtu.be/8IqpUK5teGM
                            Yep. An attentive human probably wouldn't have avoided her, but an attentive human would have made an attempt to brake or swerve, even if it was too late. The fact that, even after she emerged from the shadows, the radar didn't pick her up is the truly disturbing part. Clearly she had no business walking across that street at that location without looking, but this doesn't seem like a complex situation that fooled the computer's algorithm. Pretty ironic set of facts for the first publicized self-driving related death, considering all the "who should the self-driving car kill" dilemmas we've seen over the last few years.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #119
                              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Yep. An attentive human probably wouldn't have avoided her, but an attentive human would have made an attempt to brake or swerve, even if it was too late. The fact that, even after she emerged from the shadows, the radar didn't pick her up is the truly disturbing part. Clearly she had no business walking across that street at that location without looking, but this doesn't seem like a complex situation that fooled the computer's algorithm. Pretty ironic set of facts for the first publicized self-driving related death, considering all the "who should the self-driving car kill" dilemmas we've seen over the last few years.
                              Meh. It will help control the surplus population.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              • mtnbiker
                                it's all a blur
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 2573

                                #120
                                Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                                I saw the video of the pedestrian getting hit. Based on what I saw I think she’d have been hit by many/most human drivers. The disturbing thing is why did the radar miss her? Shouldn’t this have been a case where the self-driving car proved it sees things humans might miss?

                                https://youtu.be/8IqpUK5teGM
                                I read somewhere that they were driving with the radar off. Bad decision, especially on a dark night.

                                Comment

                                Working...