113th Congress Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #76
    At this point I don't think the support for the filibuster has much to do with domestic drone attacks. It's both about the Senate taking a stand and trying to reclaim ground lost to the executive over the past decade and the GOP looking for an opportunity to show some backbone against Obama. I feel sorry for the GOP Senators who didn't get in on it early. They'll be facing a tough primary.

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #77
      Now McConnell (R) Kentucky is in on the action. That makes 12 Senators who have participated (12% of the Senate).

      Comment

      • All-American
        Right, as Usual
        • Nov 2008
        • 15680

        #78
        11 senators will still represent 11%.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment

        • YOhio
          Hipster Mode
          • Nov 2008
          • 26165

          #79
          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          If three more Senators participate, what percentage will that represent?
          Is that before or after McConnell jumped in?

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #80
            Things are getting a bit sloppy. Paul didn't defer to his colleague for a question and Senator Brown (D) Ohio had to jump in from the President's chair. BTW, I think he's been at the chair most of the day so he also deserves some kudos for that effort.

            Comment

            • YOhio
              Hipster Mode
              • Nov 2008
              • 26165

              #81
              I hope Toomey talks about his dinner with Obama. Also, those aides in the back are getting a little loose with protocol. Not cool for them to be milling around and chatting while a Senator is speaking from the floor. There's a cloakroom about 15 feet away where they can do that.

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #82
                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                Things are getting a bit sloppy. Paul didn't defer to his colleague for a question and Senator Brown (D) Ohio had to jump in from the President's chair. BTW, I think he's been at the chair most of the day so he also deserves some kudos for that effort.
                Sorry. That was Senator Durbin (D) Illinois who was sitting in the Presidents chair.

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #83
                  Durbin could have ended it right there. Probably didn't because McConnell would have kicked his ass. But if it were Lee or someone else he probably would have.

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #84
                    I could be wrong here, but when McConnell said that he (and presumably the GOP caucus) would oppose cloture it means that the filibuster on Brennan's nomination will continue on until the Dems can get 60 votes. Even if Paul yields the floor.

                    Comment

                    • YOhio
                      Hipster Mode
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26165

                      #85
                      Now Senator Heidi Heidtkamp (D) North Dakota has taken the chair. She's the first woman to make an appearance in the filibuster, even if it's in an unseen role.

                      Comment

                      • YOhio
                        Hipster Mode
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26165

                        #86
                        Now Dick Durbin (D) Illinois is participating! Second Democrat to participate and it explains why he had to swap out the chair with Senator Heidtkamp.

                        EDIT: This makes 13 Senators who have participated (13% of the Senate).

                        Comment

                        • PaloAltoCougar
                          Semper infra dignitatem
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 16940

                          #87
                          I haven't watched a second of this, but I find YO's account riveting. I was into these kinds of things even as a young lad, and was on the steps of the Capitol in the summer of '64 (I was 11) during a filibuster involving the Civil Rights Act. I stood about five feet away from Sen. Kenneth Keating (R-NY) who was being interviewed about efforts to push the bill forward. That was when I first heard the word "cloture" and I spent the day talking to my parents about what was going on. Only now do I realize what a geek I was.

                          Comment

                          • All-American
                            Right, as Usual
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 15680

                            #88
                            Durbin is recalling 9/11. Wonder where he's going with this?
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15680

                              #89
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Durbin could have ended it right there. Probably didn't because McConnell would have kicked his ass. But if it were Lee or someone else he probably would have.
                              I thought that might have been the case. They were skating on thin ice for a second there.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              • YOhio
                                Hipster Mode
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26165

                                #90
                                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I haven't watched a second of this, but I find YO's account riveting. I was into these kinds of things even as a young lad, and was on the steps of the Capitol in the summer of '64 (I was 11) during a filibuster involving the Civil Rights Act. I stood about five feet away from Sen. Kenneth Keating (R-NY) who was being interviewed about efforts to push the bill forward. That was when I first heard the word "cloture" and I spent the day talking to my parents about what was going on. Only now do I realize what a geek I was.
                                This will be talked about for years and there are so many layers to what's happening. After the GOP House and Obama completely botched up the sequestration issue, in step Paul, Cruz, Lee and Rubio. They look competent, concerned and courageous, elements in short supply of late. There is also the internal palace intrigue between Senate GOP leadership and the young guns who have just taken up the conservative mantle. And of course the Senate finally stepping up strong against the executive. Anyways, tons of fun to observe.

                                Comment

                                Working...