Stand Your Ground

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dabrockster
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 10951

    #76
    The evolution of the gun I believe cannot begin with the gun itself. After looking up the history of firearms it is clear that the gun was an evolution of the Chinese's use of black powder which its original purpose was for fireworks.. The Chinese then began to modify this into a hand to hand combat weapon called a Fire-Lance, and the rest was history..


    Your response that I think has caused a stir is the use of "Its purpose is to kill".. I have a hard time swallowing that, since many variables must be met in order for the purpose of the gun to meet that criteria and none of that has to do with the actual gun itself...

    Comment

    • venkman
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 2199

      #77
      Freedom can be scary and even dangerous at times.
      "Remember to double tap"

      Comment

      • FN Phat
        I ♥ gateway sex
        • Feb 2009
        • 8691

        #78
        Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        The main reason I got a CHL was not because I wanted to carry a handgun everywhere I go (I rarely carry a handgun) but so I didn't get thrown in jail while when I had a handgun in my car (e.g. when I went to the range or on a trip). In other words, it let's the cops know that I am one of the "good guys" even though my skin coloring is a little darker than y'alls.
        Bingo. I have had my CCL for over 1-1/2 years and have yet to carry on my person. I have it so that when I go to the range, hunting, fishing, and trips with the family, etc. I have the peace of mind that I am not breaking a law with the weapon(s) in my vehicle and/or boat. Especially if my family is with me.
        I'm your huckleberry.


        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69717

          #79
          Tim, as a man of principle I am guessing that you don't have any knives in your home or kitchen. You might use that baby to chop carrots of spread butter on your bread, but we all know why knives were invented.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • DU Ute
            RIP CUF
            • Dec 2008
            • 7393

            #80
            Originally posted by venkman View Post
            Freedom can be scary and even dangerous at times.
            I agree. I really don't have that big of an issue with people owning guns, but people who feel a need to constantly be armed give me the creeps. Don't give me some bullshit story about how I should feel safer with more people walking around packing heat. It's also ironic to hear people who are normally decrying government incompetence telling me I shouldn't worry because people are passing a government background check.
            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

            Comment

            • Jarid in Cedar
              CS Institutional Memory
              • Jun 2009
              • 13234

              #81
              I might be tempted to use my guns to shoot people if humans were better tasting than they are.
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

              -Rick Majerus

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69717

                #82
                Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
                I might be tempted to use my guns to shoot people if humans were better tasting than they are.


                Ummm.... How is that you know that humans don't taste good?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • ERCougar
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10978

                  #83
                  Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
                  I might be tempted to use my guns to shoot people if humans were better tasting than they are.

                  This is a little disturbing on several levels, doctor.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                  Comment

                  • Tim
                    Not Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4390

                    #84
                    Originally posted by venkman View Post
                    Freedom can be scary and even dangerous at times.
                    Especially in the hands of small minds like yours...

                    Visca Catalunya Lliure

                    Comment

                    • Tim
                      Not Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4390

                      #85
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Tim, as a man of principle I am guessing that you don't have any knives in your home or kitchen. You might use that baby to chop carrots of spread butter on your bread, but we all know why knives were invented.
                      That's not a good comparison. I don't walk around town with a knife strapped to my hip. I do keep small, mostly-dull knives in the privacy of my home, though. Just like it's fine to have a gun in the privacy of your home, but the minute you walk around in public it becomes everyone else's business.
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #86
                        Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        That's not a good comparison. I don't walk around town with a knife strapped to my hip. I do keep small, mostly-dull knives in the privacy of my home, though. Just like it's fine to have a gun in the privacy of your home, but the minute you walk around in public it becomes everyone else's business.
                        SO no pocket knives?

                        Btw, dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones. Seriously.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • Eddie
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 8098

                          #87
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Already changing your position, it seems. You've gone from "killing people" to mere "killing". Progress. I'm looking forward to your analysis as to the legality of possessing sharp stones.
                          Yep. This. Guns may have been invented for killing. But killing what?

                          I also agree that this is a dumb argument to make. What other items are now being used for something other than the intent behind their original purpose of invention. And are we so hard on those items?

                          Where I come from they refer to arguments like Tim's as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

                          Comment

                          • creekster
                            It is NOT a monkey!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22661

                            #88
                            Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
                            I might be tempted to use my guns to shoot people if humans were better tasting than they are.
                            How do you know we aren't?


                            oops, Lebowski giot here first.
                            Last edited by creekster; 03-22-2012, 01:40 PM.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                            Comment

                            • FN Phat
                              I ♥ gateway sex
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 8691

                              #89
                              Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              That's not a good comparison. I don't walk around town with a knife strapped to my hip. I do keep small, mostly-dull knives in the privacy of my home, though. Just like it's fine to have a gun in the privacy of your home, but the minute you walk around in public it becomes everyone else's business.
                              I walk around with a very sharp, tactical knife in the pocket of my pants that I use every day. It is called a pocket knife.
                              I'm your huckleberry.


                              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                              Comment

                              • creekster
                                It is NOT a monkey!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22661

                                #90
                                Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                Yep. This. Guns may have been invented for killing. But killing what?

                                I also agree that this is a dumb argument to make. What other items are now being used for something other than the intent behind their original purpose of invention. And are we so hard on those items?

                                Where I come from they refer to arguments like Tim's as throwing the baby out with the bath water.
                                DO we know they were for killing people? Thay are awfully handy for hunting and given the importance of finding food for most of history I ahve to believe that was a powerful inducement for their development.

                                I havent ready this thread, so if this has already been addressed, my apology.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                                Comment

                                Working...