No announcement yet.

The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN begins the post-CHOP analysis. Reminds me of the saying, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

But within CHOP security group chats, there was frequent discussion that gangs were involved, warning of gang escalation and the presence of "gangbangers."

The messages reveal the increasing danger of late-night CHOP. In voice memos circulated in one security group chat, someone reports, "We're seeing multiple armed people -- non-right-wingers -- hanging around." Another warns, "We have a couple of armed groups here trying to hold things down, but I would recommend that if you are not armed you stay away. If you are not armed and maybe even not armored, I would stay away."

There was another shooting early on the morning of June 23. The next day, the Sentinel security team left the CHOP. Walkie-talkies were handed over to a new team. "We'd already made our peace with the fact that there were some things we weren't able to handle," Slate said. "You can't be a target if you're not there. You can't make a bad decision if you're not there."

After the June 21 shooting, Slate was crouched behind a concrete barrier with Madison. "I got a rifle in my hand, he's got a rifle in his hand, and I said I really wish this were just a war zone. It'd be so much simpler." They wouldn't have to worry about legality, gangs, or mental health.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      He means that it takes precision to pull that off.
      Yes. Misinterpreted it the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        So did either of these guys get charged with attempted murder or something?

Looks like 2nd degree Aggravated Assault is 1-15 years in prison, $10,000 fine in Utah.
        Yeah, the guy who fired the shot got an attempted murder charge.

Taggart was taken into custody under the suspicion of first-degree felony attempted aggravated murder, second-degree felony aggravated assault resulting in serious injury, third-degree felony rioting, class A misdemeanor threat or use of a dangerous weapon in a fight, class B misdemeanor criminal mischief and class B misdemeanor discharge of a firearm upon a highway.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
          CNN begins the post-CHOP analysis. Reminds me of the saying, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
          CHOP residents find out that life is not all watermelon and sugar but there are real problems that people have to deal with. They also don't understand war if they think there are no rules or legality when it comes to shooting...even in war.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Apparently, Seattle BLM protesters tried to make a new occupied zone on I-5 this morning (at around 2am). The Jaguar going freeway speed didn't get the memo.
            Holy crap! (Warning: yeah, graphic)

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• How many other states will follow suit?

“Peaceful protests were hijacked by criminals with a dangerous, destructive agenda. Now, innocent Georgians are being targeted, shot, and left for dead,” Kemp said Monday. “This lawlessness must be stopped and order restored in our capital city. I have declared a State of Emergency and called up the Georgia Guard because the safety of our citizens comes first. This measure will allow troops to protect state property and dispatch state law enforcement officers to patrol our streets. Enough with the tough talk. We must protect the lives and livelihoods of all Georgians.”

Thirty-one people were shot in 11 incidents between Friday and Sunday. Five people, including an 8-year-old girl, died.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                CHOP residents find out that life is not all watermelon and sugar but there are real problems that people have to deal with. They also don't understand war if they think there are no rules or legality when it comes to shooting...even in war.
                Rules in war?! Walter would disagree, this isn't bowling where there are rules.

over_the_line.jpg
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Holy crap! (Warning: yeah, graphic)

Hmm... so I guess the car was driving itself. Maybe this needs to be moved over to one of the self-driving car threads.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Hmm... so I guess the car was driving itself. Maybe this needs to be moved over to one of the self-driving car threads.

The incident unfolded about 1:40 a.m. on Saturday when the driver who was arrested and identified by authorities as Dawit Kelete, 27, of Seattle, allegedly entered the closed freeway by going the wrong way on an exit ramp and drove at high-speed toward a crowd of people protesting the police-involved death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, authorities said.

"Very candidly, we don't know, at this point in the investigation, what the motive was, what the reasoning was," Capt. Ron Mead of the Washington State Patrol said at a news conference.

Mead said that that according to the preliminary investigation drugs or alcohol were not factors in the incident.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      It was the luxury car's fault. We need to ban luxury cars!
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Ah, that luxury car was a member of the far-right and white!

Peaceful Protesters Targeted By Wave Of Vehicle-Ramming Attacks
                        ISIS has used vehicles to to intimidate, harm and kill for years. The tactic is being adopted by the far-right as well.
                        [...]

A photo of Summer Taylor, who suffered critical injuries and died after being hit by a [white] car while protesting over the weekend, sits among flowers at the King County Correctional Facility.
                        [...]
                        On Facebook, a King County Sheriff’s Office deputy also shared his thoughts on Saturday’s violence. “Keep your ass off the road,” said a meme he shared to his page. “All lives splatter.”
                        https://www.huffpost.com/entry/blm-p...b63a72c33a21f1

OMG... I wonder if that deputy got fired.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ah, that luxury car was a member of the far-right and white!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/blm-p...b63a72c33a21f1

OMG... I wonder if that deputy got fired.
                          Ha, identifying the color of the car.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                            Ha, identifying the color of the car.
                            Yeah - that has me laughing too. It's hard to say much more when the dude driving the car is Black.

I think that's the thing that pisses me off the most in this. People do dumb things for dumb reasons ALL THE TIME.

They don't know if it was alcohol or drugs - or at least the police aren't saying publicly. What they do know is that a guy went up the off ramp and ran into these people. They reference that some right wing people have been doing this, but apparently can't call it racially motivated since the drive was black and the victim was white.

But is it so hard to believe that there are likely to be other instances of people doing dumb things and hurting each other that also weren't racially motivated even though the suspect might be white and the victim might be black? It feels like the press can be quick to jump to race at times, when in reality race may have had nothing to do with it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there are no racially motivated crimes. That is obviously not true - and those happen as well. I'm more speaking to the concept that I suspect stuff happens that wasn't racially motivated but race gets mentioned way too often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              Yeah - that has me laughing too. It's hard to say much more when the dude driving the car is Black.

I think that's the thing that pisses me off the most in this. People do dumb things for dumb reasons ALL THE TIME.

They don't know if it was alcohol or drugs - or at least the police aren't saying publicly. What they do know is that a guy went up the off ramp and ran into these people. They reference that some right wing people have been doing this, but apparently can't call it racially motivated since the drive was black and the victim was white.

But is it so hard to believe that there are likely to be other instances of people doing dumb things and hurting each other that also weren't racially motivated even though the suspect might be white and the victim might be black? It feels like the press can be quick to jump to race at times, when in reality race may have had nothing to do with it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there are no racially motivated crimes. That is obviously not true - and those happen as well. I'm more speaking to the concept that I suspect stuff happens that wasn't racially motivated but race gets mentioned way too often.
                              This is part of the Social Justice (Critical) Theory mindset.

Comment

• Obama tweeted this article today about how Germany reformed its police state after WWII, and the lessons that the states could learn from them. Of course the US is totally different than what Germany was, but there are some things the US could emulate to reform police. Like this one easy trick!

In another postwar innovation, German police officers do not handle minor infractions like parking tickets and noise ordinances, which are handled by uniformed but unarmed city employees.
                                It hasn't been all sunshine and lollipops in Germany, but they do get some things right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/w...ny-police.html
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X