I love Utah politics

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wapiti
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 2064

    #211
    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    The fact that it passed is relevant because now from a public opinion standpoint the legislature is 100% obligated to actually agree on and implement legalized medical marijuana in the state in short order.

    If it didn’t pass that would have given the legislature an excuse to delay, defer or even completely fail to pass any type of medical marijuana legislation.
    No. The bill has been written and the deal has been done for 6 weeks. It was happening regardless.

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #212
      I'm so confused about Prop 2. And I guess Propositions in general. So, Utah legislature is ready to pass a medical marijuana bill, that will overturn Prop 2, and it didn't matter if it passed or not? What's the point of a proposition if they just overturn it? What exactly did Utahns vote on? What if Utah legislature never agrees on anything marijuana related, and nothing ever passes? Did it even matter what if people voted on this?

      Comment

      • Copelius
        Maker of eyeballs
        • Dec 2012
        • 4065

        #213
        Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        I'm so confused about Prop 2. And I guess Propositions in general. So, Utah legislature is ready to pass a medical marijuana bill, that will overturn Prop 2, and it didn't matter if it passed or not? What's the point of a proposition if they just overturn it? What exactly did Utahns vote on? What if Utah legislature never agrees on anything marijuana related, and nothing ever passes? Did it even matter what if people voted on this?
        Don't know about this one but the legislature basically overturned the UTA gift tax that was voted down by allowing the counties to impose the tax. Messed up.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

        Comment

        • MartyFunkhouser
          Disciple of RNGesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 18754

          #214
          Originally posted by wapiti View Post
          No. The bill has been written and the deal has been done for 6 weeks. It was happening regardless.
          The pressure of it passing is the only reason this happened. If it failed, the bill goes nowhere.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

          Comment

          • wapiti
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 2064

            #215
            Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
            The pressure of it passing is the only reason this happened. If it failed, the bill goes nowhere.
            Whatever. I take the gov at his word.

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18754

              #216
              Medical cannabis is likely dead in Utah. The central fill concept that is being added into the bill is likely to end up with there being no access unless marijuana becomes legal at the federal level. Of course where did the central fill concept come from, the LDS church.

              If there were one poison pill in the “compromise bill” it is that the bill has already been written that will be passed instead of Proposition Two.


              The man responsible for the “central fill” idea is Utah State Senator Evan Vickers, who granted my request for an interview on this very important topic which will be very soon debated in the special session on Legalized Marijuana to happen soon after the November election.

              Probably the last question I asked Senator Vickers was the most important. “Is this your own idea? Or did you get this idea from the [LDS] Church?” Senator Vickers was silent for a moment and then said, “The Church will need to answer that question for themselves.”
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • Eddie
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 8098

                #217
                Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                Medical cannabis is likely dead in Utah. The central fill concept that is being added into the bill is likely to end up with there being no access unless marijuana becomes legal at the federal level. Of course where did the central fill concept come from, the LDS church.

                http://utahstories.com/2018/11/medic...-central-fill/
                Sure seems like they are trying to approach cannabis in the same way that they approach alcohol. You've got to buy it from a state cannabis store, not many other places to buy it if it isn't a beer.

                I didn't finish the article, but it was interesting how they describe the value of the license to grow. Again, I compare that to liquor licenses. The old "club" licensed that Utah had - where you could have a 40%-60% split of revenue coming from alcohol versus food - was indeed a hot commodity. If you've got a license to brew - even more. People were buying businesses not because they liked/wanted the business, but because of the license type the business had.

                Frankly - this is all pretty crazy.

                I mean - I understand wanting to have some control and some limits. That bit doesn't bother me. I don't trust those who insist that cannabis is completely harmless (not that I trust those who think it is schedule 1 - highly dangerous with no medicinal purposes). But the truth is in the middle somewhere.

                The truly sad part in all of this is that the Federal government won't step up and play a role. They are the ones who have made it so stinking difficult for there to be research done to know how effective cannabis truly is for various medical issues. They are the ones who put it on schedule one. It's hard to believe they are watching all of the states maneuver around them without wanting to get in on it. But that's what's happening. FDA looks pretty silly in all of this right now.

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69716

                  #218
                  Mia Love filed a lawsuit to do a recount only in SL county with the intent to invalidate many of the votes due to signature discrepancies. Judge ruled this afternoon and dismissed her suit with prejudice. It was the right call. Total BS move.

                  About an hour ago, more votes were released by Utah County and Mia Love has now taken the lead by 419 votes. Crazy.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • frank ryan
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12378

                    #219
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Mia Love filed a lawsuit to do a recount only in SL county with the intent to invalidate many of the votes due to signature discrepancies. Judge ruled this afternoon and dismissed her suit with prejudice. It was the right call. Total BS move.

                    About an hour ago, more votes were released by Utah County and Mia Love has now taken the lead by 419 votes. Crazy.
                    This is a nailbiter.

                    Comment

                    • MartyFunkhouser
                      Disciple of RNGesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 18754

                      #220
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Mia Love filed a lawsuit to do a recount only in SL county with the intent to invalidate many of the votes due to signature discrepancies. Judge ruled this afternoon and dismissed her suit with prejudice. It was the right call. Total BS move.

                      About an hour ago, more votes were released by Utah County and Mia Love has now taken the lead by 419 votes. Crazy.
                      I really don't like Mia Love and I really dislike the way the districts have been gerrymandered to allow the entire state to be Republican.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15666

                        #221
                        Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        I really don't like Mia Love and I really dislike the way the districts have been gerrymandered to allow the entire state to be Republican.
                        Just like funk to be upset that a black woman beat a white male mormon.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69716

                          #222
                          Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          Just like funk to be upset that a black woman beat a white male mormon.
                          Figures. Funk loves the patriarchy.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • MartyFunkhouser
                            Disciple of RNGesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 18754

                            #223
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Figures. Funk loves the patriarchy.
                            Yes indeed. Big fan.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

                            Comment

                            • Topper
                              Pre-Historic Man
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11764

                              #224
                              H
                              Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                              Yes indeed. Big fan.
                              He loves white privilege.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                              Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #225
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                About an hour ago, more votes were released by Utah County and Mia Love has now taken the lead by 419 votes. Crazy.
                                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                This is a nailbiter.
                                Damn Russian hackers!
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...