Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest example of why my politics can best be described as cynicism at this stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest example of why my politics can best be described as cynicism at this stage

Advocates decry homeless sweeps ahead of MLB’s All-Star game

Mayor Michael Hancock has emphatically denied that the All-Star Game influenced any clearing decisions, saying the city is just getting caught up after suspending cleanups at the beginning of the pandemic. It resumed regular cleanups last summer.
    Right. Total coincidence, I'm sure.

Seattle is a mess for sure. We have a 14-year-old daughter that refuses to go with us anywhere in the city because a few years ago we were down there, and she saw someone shooting up right on the street. This was on the way down to Pike Place Market. Not exactly a sketchy area.

But this is the same city government that was fining business owners for putting barriers on the street in front of their businesses to prevent the homeless from parking their RVs there. And now the city is doing the same thing for the all-star game.

"It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Dang....welcome home!

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      Advocates decry homeless sweeps ahead of MLB’s All-Star game

Right. Total coincidence, I'm sure.

Seattle is a mess for sure. We have a 14-year-old daughter that refuses to go with us anywhere in the city because a few years ago we were down there, and she saw someone shooting up right on the street. This was on the way down to Pike Place Market. Not exactly a sketchy area.

But this is the same city government that was fining business owners for putting barriers on the street in front of their businesses to prevent the homeless from parking their RVs there. And now the city is doing the same thing for the all-star game.

If they have an RV, are they really homeless?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

If they have an RV, are they really homeless?
        I’d say if they aren’t hooked up to permanent power, water, and sewer, then yes, they are homeless.

Comment

I'm a little confused here. I know the all-star game is next week in Seattle and the article is from the Seattle Times. But it is an article from 2 years ago about Denver hosting the All-Start Game.

When I was in Seattle last October, I walked from the Space Needle to Pike Place market and around. I don't think I saw an obvious homeless person or drug user. The week before I was in Vegas for the Notre Dame game and was surprised to see the homeless people laying on the sidewalk as people walked around them on the strip. I remember there being a discussion on here about Vegas and Seattle and their conditions, so I was paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
            I'm a little confused here. I know the all-star game is next week in Seattle and the article is from the Seattle Times. But it is an article from 2 years ago about Denver hosting the All-Start Game.

When I was in Seattle last October, I walked from the Space Needle to Pike Place market and around. I don't think I saw an obvious homeless person or drug user. The week before I was in Vegas for the Notre Dame game and was surprised to see the homeless people laying on the sidewalk as people walked around them on the strip. I remember there being a discussion on here about Vegas and Seattle and their conditions, so I was paying attention.
            Wow I linked the wrong article. Definitely going on here this week though.
            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

In any case, we are headed down tomorrow to go to a couple of the cheap seats games and hit the fan fest or whatever they call it. I will return and report.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                In any case, we are headed down tomorrow to go to a couple of the cheap seats games and hit the fan fest or whatever they call it. I will return and report.
                So I took public transit and saw plenty of the homeless encampments on the way, which is not unusual here, but nothing near the stadiums. And they did have the vehicle barriers all over as well. The whole area around the stadiums might as well have been DisneyLand with the exception.of a couple of street preachers.

So the alleged removal seems to be true.

Comment

Democrats are as hypocritical as republicans. That’s why my cynicism of anything a politician does will never go away. Dems clearing the streets of homeless people to present a better city…par for the course.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    Democrats are as hypocritical as republicans. That’s why my cynicism of anything a politician does will never go away. Dems clearing the streets of homeless people to present a better city…par for the course.
                    Politicians should always be scrutinised. Even if they start out their careers with grand intentions, they are hypocritical. But right now, it's not equally. That ended, at least, with the attempt to overthrow our election. The intentional lying and talk of violence and civil largely is the domain of the right.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

Politicians should always be scrutinised. Even if they start out their careers with grand intentions, they are hypocritical. But right now, it's not equally. That ended, at least, with the attempt to overthrow our election. The intentional lying and talk of violence and civil largely is the domain of the right.
                      The pendulum swings constantly. It’ll swing back to the democrats being the crazy ones. But they will both always be hypocrites to the highest degree.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

I think it’s because the left has had its extremism for decades (at least since the 60s) and it became expected. It’s new on the right and thus more shocking.

Comment

I am at conference and I just heard Minnesota Governor Tim Walz speak. I would vote for this guy. I wish he was running for president and not Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

The pendulum swings constantly. It’ll swing back to the democrats being the crazy ones. But they will both always be hypocrites to the highest degree.
                            The current political landscape is like nothing we've ever experienced. We have GOP candidates Trump and DeSantis both planning to pardon men convicted of sedition. That is the opposite defending against domestic enemies. Trump is facing multiple felonies and he is still a viable candidate. It doesn't get worse than that.

Comment

When I see and hear some of of the ideas and plans of mainstream republican candidates, I feel like we have crossedfrom reality into fiction or fantasy, like living in the movie Idocracy.

Democrats haven't been as crazy recently, at least by comparison. Some of what Bernie and AOC were proposing a few years ago almost made me feel the same way though.

Comment

Working...
                              X