X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post

Crickets. Interesting.

Truth is Biden is mediocre, not the terrible foxnews version some believe
    Yeah, he's not horrible and he's not great. He's done some very good things, but has had some misses (Afghan withdrawal, his VP choice, and the like).

This inflation thing will hang on him. I don't hear much about housing costs, but this is a real struggle for first time home buyers (I feel for my kids). I don't know what can be done, but Biden would do well to discuss/propose policy remedies. At least that would show him trying to address an issue that matters to a lot of younger voters.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post

Crickets. Interesting.

Truth is Biden is mediocre, not the terrible foxnews version some believe
      I think voters are going to vote for four more years of mediocre over four more years of the possible damage they feel Trump is capable of.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

I think voters are going to vote for four more years of mediocre over four more years of the possible damage they feel Trump is capable of.
        This is the most fascinating thing about November's election. No one has any idea how the voters are going to vote. The Democrats have some major advantages. They have 10 million more registered voters. They have the cultural institutions. It really shouldn't be close, and maybe it ultimately won't be. But the polling, both reputable and problematic pols, have the race as close. This is a testament to how poorly Biden is perceived. But 7 months of focus on Trump should be terrifying for the GOP. Especially so for down ballot candidates who apparently won't get the financial support from the RNC as that money will go to Trump and his legal fees.

Arguing with folks about the general unserious and corruption of both major parties/candidates is fine and all, but the unfolding clown show between these two idiots and their campaigns is where the real fun is for an old history undergrad.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Yeah, he's not horrible and he's not great. He's done some very good things, but has had some misses (Afghan withdrawal, his VP choice, and the like).

This inflation thing will hang on him. I don't hear much about housing costs, but this is a real struggle for first time home buyers (I feel for my kids). I don't know what can be done, but Biden would do well to discuss/propose policy remedies. At least that would show him trying to address an issue that matters to a lot of younger voters.
          I'm pretty sure he mentioned a tax credit proposal for first time home buyers and second time home buyers in the SOTU address. I don't think that's gonna cover the issue, but I guess it's a start.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post

This is the most fascinating thing about November's election. No one has any idea how the voters are going to vote. The Democrats have some major advantages. They have 10 million more registered voters. They have the cultural institutions. It really shouldn't be close, and maybe it ultimately won't be. But the polling, both reputable and problematic pols, have the race as close. This is a testament to how poorly Biden is perceived. But 7 months of focus on Trump should be terrifying for the GOP. Especially so for down ballot candidates who apparently won't get the financial support from the RNC as that money will go to Trump and his legal fees.

Arguing with folks about the general unserious and corruption of both major parties/candidates is fine and all, but the unfolding clown show between these two idiots and their campaigns is where the real fun is for an old history undergrad.
            You so fucking don't get it. You laugh this off like it's a game, like it doesn't matter who wins. Trump is BTK and Biden is a jaywalker, and you want us judge them as though they're on a similar scale. You act as if it doesn't matter whether Trump wins or Biden wins, that it's all just politics as usual. You're an idiot if you think that. Do you honestly not understand what happens to this country if Trump is elected? Do you think it will be business as usual?
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• you're not allowed to be worried about trump here. didnt you know that? it is "hysteria" to think he'll do what he says.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

You so fucking don't get it. You laugh this off like it's a game, like it doesn't matter who wins. Trump is BTK and Biden is a jaywalker, and you want us judge them as though they're on a similar scale. You act as if it doesn't matter whether Trump wins or Biden wins, that it's all just politics as usual. You're an idiot if you think that. Do you honestly not understand what happens to this country if Trump is elected? Do you think it will be business as usual?
                This seems a tad melodramatic.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

This seems a tad melodramatic.
                  The delivery might be but I think anyone who doesn't see maga pushing for a Trump dictatorship is trying not to think of it because it's "unthinkable" in America. I think we're past having the luxury of that assumption. I don't want to find out if the guardrails hold this time. Trump's admiration and praise for dictators is because that's what he wants to be like. In a second term he would be more able to only put those around him who will facilitate that rather than push back on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

What would you have me do? I'm a guy in Utah. I've never voted for Trump and I won't start now. The state is already going to Trump. Am I supposed to worry myself sick? Am I supposed to lecture those around me? Am I supposed to sell my home and donate the money to the DNC? Am I supposed to bleat on endlessly about the dangers of Trump and shame anyone in my vicinity? I've seen a lot of people in my life on the both the right and left lose their minds, hurt relationships, and use extremely unhealthy coping mechanisms because they ruminate, obsesss, and rage about politics. Life outside of politics is what makes it worth living. So I'll ask again, what would you have me do? How should I be acting?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post

The delivery might be but I think anyone who doesn't see maga pushing for a Trump dictatorship is trying not to think of it because it's "unthinkable" in America. I think we're past having the luxury of that assumption. I don't want to find out if the guardrails hold this time. Trump's admiration and praise for dictators is because that's what he wants to be like. In a second term he would be more able to only put those around him who will facilitate that rather than push back on it.
                      You could be right. Historically presidents are less effective in their second term so I'm having a hard time with the catastrophizing on either side.

He's already shown himself to be awful at shepherding legislation through congress and that would only get worse without McConnell in the Senate and whatever dunce they have as Speaker if the GOP majority holds. He'll surround himself with mediocre people at the executive level because nobody of substance will want to work for him. So sure they'll 'facilitate' for him, but I'm doubtful they'll actually be effective.

I'm not saying I want Trump to win. I'm not saying a second Trump wouldn't be damaging to our country. I am saying that I don't think it's the same existential crisis you all seem to think.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

You could be right. Historically presidents are less effective in their second term so I'm having a hard time with the catastrophizing on either side.

He's already shown himself to be awful at shepherding legislation through congress and that would only get worse without McConnell in the Senate and whatever dunce they have as Speaker if the GOP majority holds. He'll surround himself with mediocre people at the executive level because nobody of substance will want to work for him. So sure they'll 'facilitate' for him, but I'm doubtful they'll actually be effective.

I'm not saying I want Trump to win. I'm not saying a second Trump wouldn't be damaging to our country. I am saying that I don't think it's the same existential crisis you all seem to think.
                        Legislation? Executive orders, baby! The more the better. Clog the courts with the legal challenges to them so they take months and years to be ruled on. People with any integrity won't want to work for him. Don't worry, there are still more than enough completely unqualified power hungry magabot morons with no integrity who will.

Comment

It really shouldn't be close, and maybe it ultimately won't be. But the polling, both reputable and problematic pols, have the race as close.
                          The maga base is energized and the dems are not. Perhaps when this gets close Trump will serve as a lightening rod and energize the dems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

The maga base is energized and the dems are not. Perhaps when this gets close Trump will serve as a lightening rod and energize the dems.
                            As November gets close this thing is going to get out of hand. The RNC is broke as a joke and poised to get fleeced by the Trumps, with Lara Trump getting installed, about 60 people getting fired and, I assume, getting replaced with unqualified morons. This is going to be a real shit show for the GOP and I couldn't be more pleased.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

What would you have me do? I'm a guy in Utah. I've never voted for Trump and I won't start now. The state is already going to Trump. Am I supposed to worry myself sick? Am I supposed to lecture those around me? Am I supposed to sell my home and donate the money to the DNC? Am I supposed to bleat on endlessly about the dangers of Trump and shame anyone in my vicinity? I've seen a lot of people in my life on the both the right and left lose their minds, hurt relationships, and use extremely unhealthy coping mechanisms because they ruminate, obsesss, and rage about politics. Life outside of politics is what makes it worth living. So I'll ask again, what would you have me do? How should I be acting?
                              Here is what you should do: ignore unhinged rants like that one.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Don't underestimate the dems. If Trump is elected, I would hope there are a lot of dems who won't accept it and won't let democracy slip away without a fight. We're not as soft as you think.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X