Death Penalty

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grapevine
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1992

    #121
    Idaho had a piece of trash scheduled to go to Hell a couple years ago and he had a couple dates but Idaho didn’t have the chemicals. Now legalized firing squad. Gov overruled board of pardons and Supreme Court said they could.

    Another piece of trash longest person on death row, killed fellow prisoner after getting off had date scheduled. Postponed for review. Regardless of what they say gov will say no. After next week judge will give him a new date. I would hate to be the one pulling needle. It’s like putting someone to sleep.

    Now Chad Daybells attorney wants to withdraw, is not dp qualified. If Boyce relents will that be another delay on the Methusaleh like trial. Cold biscuits for breakfast, limited movement, chicken or turkey pot pies lunch and dinner. Miserable. Even if he doesn’t get dp he will be in tight security in Kuna.

    Most prisoners within walls have some degree of freedom, have jobs rec time. 23 hours in 7 by 12 cell now that would be miserable. Wouldn’t people beg to go to Hell in those situations just to get out of that misery.

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12382

      #122
      Originally posted by grapevine View Post
      Idaho had a piece of trash scheduled to go to Hell a couple years ago and he had a couple dates but Idaho didn’t have the chemicals. Now legalized firing squad. Gov overruled board of pardons and Supreme Court said they could.

      Another piece of trash longest person on death row, killed fellow prisoner after getting off had date scheduled. Postponed for review. Regardless of what they say gov will say no. After next week judge will give him a new date. I would hate to be the one pulling needle. It’s like putting someone to sleep.

      Now Chad Daybells attorney wants to withdraw, is not dp qualified. If Boyce relents will that be another delay on the Methusaleh like trial. Cold biscuits for breakfast, limited movement, chicken or turkey pot pies lunch and dinner. Miserable. Even if he doesn’t get dp he will be in tight security in Kuna.

      Most prisoners within walls have some degree of freedom, have jobs rec time. 23 hours in 7 by 12 cell now that would be miserable. Wouldn’t people beg to go to Hell in those situations just to get out of that misery.
      There are quite a few people who endure those circumstances and I've spoken to many of them. I've never interacted with anything sentenced to life because I've never worked in corrections.
      When it comes to executions one thing that I think is often overlooked in this the trauma that is endured by the officers and officials who carry out the death sentences. We should do better with how we handle incarceration and criminal justice in this country.

      Comment

      • grapevine
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1992

        #123
        Two executions were scheduled for today. Piece of trash in Texas# said he was innocent but got sent to Hell if he was lying. Maybe he wasn’t innocent. Idaho longest serving piece of trash who is now harmless and remorseful if you ask his attorneys, couldn’t get it down him. Murdered inmate while death sentence was overturned. In a few more weeks I’m pretty sure state will give him new date to go to Hell. Another piece of trash had a few few dates but no chemicals. Wonde4 if he will go to hell of cancer or get the injection. Firing squad is now legal in Idaho but not up it up yet.

        Comment

        • frank ryan
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 12382

          #124
          Originally posted by grapevine View Post
          Two executions were scheduled for today. Piece of trash in Texas# said he was innocent but got sent to Hell if he was lying. Maybe he wasn’t innocent. Idaho longest serving piece of trash who is now harmless and remorseful if you ask his attorneys, couldn’t get it down him. Murdered inmate while death sentence was overturned. In a few more weeks I’m pretty sure state will give him new date to go to Hell. Another piece of trash had a few few dates but no chemicals. Wonde4 if he will go to hell of cancer or get the injection. Firing squad is now legal in Idaho but not up it up yet.
          Maybe he won't go to hell or maybe the place he goes to will be less worse than death row.

          I think it's natural to think of people who do awful as inhuman monsters when the truth is they are people who do monstrous things, but may have also done good things and may also have changed for the better on death row (although I'm sure people fake that all the time, I'm sure they are sincere sometimes).

          Comment

          • BlueK
            Senior Member
            • May 2011
            • 7195

            #125
            Here is an interesting case in Texas. The prosecution has had its theory and original case of this man's child's death thoroughly debunked and the state legislature almost unanimously agrees he should at least get a new trial, but the state has pressed on in trying to make the execution happen. Finally the Texas Supreme Court put a stay on it at the last minute. Just a delay for now.

            https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/shaken...y?id=114870367

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18033

              #126
              Biden commutes 37 federal death row convictions to life without parole. 3 remain, all were mass murderers.

              That's probably the most palatable baby step for the country, but in the end you're either for or against the death penalty, no matter how heinous the crime.

              You can still atone for losing the presidency to Trump, Biden. There's still a lot of good pardoning/commuting to do.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              • BigFatMeanie
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 7117

                #127
                It's an impossible issue. I watched a documentary on federal super-max prisons like the ADX Florence facility where El Chapo is. I came away thinking the mind-numbing isolation, which drives prisoners to insanity and suicide, is so bad that a quickly-administered death penalty might be more "humane". But honestly, I can't even figure out what the heck the word "humane" even means - the impossibility of determining which of two horrible alternatives is most humane makes the word essentially gibberish.

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18806

                  #128
                  Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  It's an impossible issue. I watched a documentary on federal super-max prisons like the ADX Florence facility where El Chapo is. I came away thinking the mind-numbing isolation, which drives prisoners to insanity and suicide, is so bad that a quickly-administered death penalty might be more "humane". But honestly, I can't even figure out what the heck the word "humane" even means - the impossibility of determining which of two horrible alternatives is most humane makes the word essentially gibberish.
                  Probably a false dichotomy. Is isolation really required?

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69735

                    #129
                    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Biden commutes 37 federal death row convictions to life without parole. 3 remain, all were mass murderers.

                    That's probably the most palatable baby step for the country, but in the end you're either for or against the death penalty, no matter how heinous the crime.

                    You can still atone for losing the presidency to Trump, Biden. There's still a lot of good pardoning/commuting to do.
                    I am torn on this one. I am anti-death penalty, but this seems like the wrong way to do it.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • myboynoah
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 21719

                      #130
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                      I am torn on this one. I am anti-death penalty, but this seems like the wrong way to do it.
                      Just a little tidbit before four years of a whole lot of "the wrong way to do it."
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18033

                        #131
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                        I am torn on this one. I am anti-death penalty, but this seems like the wrong way to do it.
                        I am 100% supportive of the movement, but it was a half-assed way to start. You don't have to look hard to find terrible people on the federal death row that are just as heinous as the ones whose sentences he didn't commute.

                        This should have been framed as correcting a moral blight on our society, that even though criminals may deserve to be put to death human-derived institutions cannot be trusted to execute those people fairly. But leaving 3 mass murderers on death row allows for everyone to make a judgment call on those who should still be executed or not.

                        Just another well-intentioned but overall disappointing move by Biden. If he's truly concerned about his moral legacy he should have never pardoned his son and gone full bore on pardons/commutations for these righteous causes.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • USUC
                          Chronic Poseur
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 8797

                          #132
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          Just another well-intentioned but overall disappointing move by Biden. If he's truly concerned about his moral legacy he should have never pardoned his son and gone full bore on pardons/commutations for these righteous causes.
                          After the latest WSJ piece, I think those around him are just pushing their pet causes through taking advantage of his cognitive decline. His legacy is set, they are getting their's with no stakes of their own. I bet we'll all be appalled when the real story of the Biden administration comes out when he leaves office.

                          BTW, he should have just commuted all death penalty convictions. I understand the want to kill these heinous people. And no doubt many deserve it. But the state should not be killing anyone.

                          Comment

                          • chrisrenrut
                            Strikes and Gutters
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 2299

                            #133
                            On the other side of the spectrum. . .
                            https://www.ksl.com/article/51217342...s-and-monsters

                            Aren’t most rape and murder charges and sentences pursued under state laws and statutes?

                            Comment

                            • frank ryan
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12382

                              #134
                              Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                              On the other side of the spectrum. . .
                              https://www.ksl.com/article/51217342...s-and-monsters

                              Aren’t most rape and murder charges and sentences pursued under state laws and statutes?
                              I don't like expanding the death penalty and it's pretty ironic for him to be the one championing it. Are conservatives still totally cool pretending he isn't a sex predator?

                              Comment

                              • frank ryan
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12382

                                #135
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                                I am torn on this one. I am anti-death penalty, but this seems like the wrong way to do it.
                                He should have just commuted them all if he wanted to make that statement. I think being critical of him for this move is a bit too nitpicky

                                Comment

                                Working...