Prop 8 movie premiering at Sundance next week

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #16
    Somebody needs to work on editing their titles. "A film about how how countless lives...were destroyed by...8"

    The sick disregard at the 2:27 mark for the fundamentals of editing just makes me reject their arguments out of hand.

    Comment

    • Non Sequitur
      Where did I put my bodkin
      • Nov 2008
      • 5773

      #17
      No one has seen this movie and people are already starting to take sides. I don't know whether this will be a good film or a bad film, but I don't think there will be a lot of shocking revelations. Everyone already knows where everyone stands, and all the debate in the world is not going to change anyone's position.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

      Comment

      • All-American
        Right, as Usual
        • Nov 2008
        • 15664

        #18
        Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        Since they did not nothing that warrants losing its tax status....
        Shh! Don't confuse him with facts. He worked hard to carefully craft his world view to his liking. The decent thing to do would be to let the man be.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37979

          #19
          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          No one has seen this movie and people are already starting to take sides. I don't know whether this will be a good film or a bad film, but I don't think there will be a lot of shocking revelations. Everyone already knows where everyone stands, and all the debate in the world is not going to change anyone's position.
          The movie is quite obviously taking a side.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • DU Ute
            RIP CUF
            • Dec 2008
            • 7393

            #20
            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Here is the quote they use on page three in the Press Kit:
            A google search for this quote only comes up with the press release for the film. I compared it to the video from April 2009 GC and the clip in this preview is obviously from the conference talk and in the context I referenced. The first part of the quote in the press release is from Elder L. Whitney Clayton and not President Monson, but you know that is what he really meant
            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #21
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              The movie is quite obviously taking a side.
              I'm talking about taking sides on whether it is a good movie or a fair movie.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37979

                #22
                Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                I'm talking about taking sides on whether it is a good movie or a fair movie.
                They put out a trailer with scenes from the movie. Scenes that are obviously intended to generate buzz about the film. Either the clips they used are fair or they're not. I don't see why we have to wait for the movie to come out before we discuss the clips in the trailer.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • DU Ute
                  RIP CUF
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 7393

                  #23
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  They put out a trailer with scenes from the movie. Scenes that are obviously intended to generate buzz about the film. Either the clips they used are fair or they're not. I don't see why we have to wait for the movie to come out before we discuss the clips in the trailer.
                  You've got to love a preview that opens with a Chris Buttars quote. I know he speaks for the Church. Whether by My voice or the voice of the Senator from Utah State Senate District 10 it is the same!
                  "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                  "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                  "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                  Comment

                  • Non Sequitur
                    Where did I put my bodkin
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5773

                    #24
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    They put out a trailer with scenes from the movie. Scenes that are obviously intended to generate buzz about the film. Either the clips they used are fair or they're not. I don't see why we have to wait for the movie to come out before we discuss the clips in the trailer.
                    Was there anything in that clip that was new? The Church poured a lot of money into Prop 8 and it pissed off a lot of people. That's not in dispute. I didn't see anything in that trailer that I didn't see a hundred times when the Prop 8 debate was going on. I don't know whether the film will be any good, but I do know that even if it were the most well crafted film of the century and completely fair and balanced, that 90% of active Mormons would attack it and criticize it, without ever seeing it.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                    Comment

                    • Non Sequitur
                      Where did I put my bodkin
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5773

                      #25
                      Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                      You've got to love a preview that opens with a Chris Buttars quote. I know he speaks for the Church. Whether by My voice or the voice of the Senator from Utah State Senate District 10 it is the same!
                      What is wrong with using the Buttars quote? Buttars is an outspoken Mormon politician. This is a political issue. Buttars, more than anyone else, represents what is at the heart of this issue. He is a politician who answers to his Church before his constituency. He takes his orders from the COB. For the majority of those in the Church, Prop 8 was not a political debate, it was a religious edict. That is the heart of the issue, and Buttars is the poster child.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37979

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        Was there anything in that clip that was new? The Church poured a lot of money into Prop 8 and it pissed off a lot of people. That's not in dispute. I didn't see anything in that trailer that I didn't see a hundred times when the Prop 8 debate was going on. I don't know whether the film will be any good, but I do know that even if it were the most well crafted film of the century and completely fair and balanced, that 90% of active Mormons would attack it and criticize it, without ever seeing it.
                        No argument there.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Maximus
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6017

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          Was there anything in that clip that was new? The Church poured a lot of money into Prop 8 and it pissed off a lot of people. That's not in dispute. I didn't see anything in that trailer that I didn't see a hundred times when the Prop 8 debate was going on. I don't know whether the film will be any good, but I do know that even if it were the most well crafted film of the century and completely fair and balanced, that 90% of active Mormons would attack it and criticize it, without ever seeing it.
                          I am attacking it because in a 3 minute trailer, they are already taking at least 2 quotes totally out of context and trying to act like buttars represents the church, which he doesn't.

                          Comment

                          • beefytee
                            Board eye candy
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 7542

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            What is wrong with using the Buttars quote? Buttars is an outspoken Mormon politician. This is a political issue. Buttars, more than anyone else, represents what is at the heart of this issue. He is a politician who answers to his Church before his constituency. He takes his orders from the COB. For the majority of those in the Church, Prop 8 was not a political debate, it was a religious edict. That is the heart of the issue, and Buttars is the poster child.
                            I'd be interested in learning more about this.

                            Care to share, examples?

                            It seems he got re-elected with a plurality of votes. Sure he won by a razor thin margin, and I would never vote for the guy, but this would seem like sufficient evidence that he is answering sufficiently to his constituency.

                            Comment

                            • Non Sequitur
                              Where did I put my bodkin
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5773

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              I am attacking it because in a 3 minute trailer, they are already taking at least 2 quotes totally out of context and trying to act like buttars represents the church, which he doesn't.
                              I assume one of the quotes to which you refer is the TSM quote. It wasn't very compelling, either way. Not sure of the other quote to which you refer. No one says that Buttars represents the Church, but he does represent Mormon political thought. I venture to guess that his opinion of gays is not much different than that of many of the brethern, but the brethern have the good sense not to be quoted publicly.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                                I am attacking it because in a 3 minute trailer, they are already taking at least 2 quotes totally out of context and trying to act like buttars represents the church, which he doesn't.
                                We never heard the name Buttars once in CA during the election, and no one here knows who he is.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...