Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Sorry to hear that Creek

I echo the previous sentiments!

As to the Type II diabetes debate. I'll admit that before I was diagnosed, I ate too much and moved to little.

That said, even though I walk 30-40 miles a week and try to eat healthy, I still have trouble keeping my weight below 190. When I do that my blood sugar is in the normal range.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Speaking of genetics vs lifestyle:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...9SjHjP2LDAgrtI

A healthy lifestyle can cut your risk of developing Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia even if you have genes that raise your risk for these mind-destroying diseases, a large study has found.

People with high genetic risk and poor health habits were about three times more likely to develop dementia versus those with low genetic risk and good habits, researchers reported Sunday. Regardless of how much genetic risk someone had, a good diet, adequate exercise, limiting alcohol and not smoking made dementia less likely.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• This discussion is all very timely. I just spent one of the best weeks of my life on vacation last week. I had no access to fast food; I swam, canoed, kayaked, and hiked all week with zero television or internet. It was amazing, and I lost five pounds. In the past five years, I've gone from being overweight, but able to run a 10k with little training, playing basketball and volleyball a few times a week, to doing almost nothing because of the aches and pains (including gout attacks) that result from physical activity.

I have every motivation in the world to change. It's time to stop making excuses and just do it (cue: Shia LaBoeuf)
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Yup Creek I see it every day, healthy people in their 40s and 50s cut down by some freak cardiovascular event.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46593838...-business-trip

This was such a sad thing. If the guy is in SLC when this happens he’s got a 90% chance of getting a quick surgery and surviving but being in Ecuador leads to his death.

As far as dietary habits I really do think a lot of what we think are good or poor “decisions” are really just manifestations of our DNA. I read this recently and was convinced even more than before:

https://www.amazon.com/Blueprint-How...9168/ref=nodl_

Comment

• https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fas...ad-11564676512

There is a logic to it. When we eat, our body re*leases in*sulin. That dis*rupts the process of au*tophagy (from the Greek, mean*ing “self-de*vour*ing”), by which cells de*con*struct old, dam*aged com*po*nents in or*der to re*lease en*ergy and build new mol*e*cules. Au*tophagy helps to coun*ter*act the ag*ing of cells and builds im*mu*nity. Fasts stim*u*late au*tophagy and al*low the full mol*e*c*u*lar process to take place, as a team led by Frank Madeo at the Uni*ver*sity of Graz in Aus*tria found in 2017.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The study suggests skipping breakfast and fasting from 7PM until noon the next day. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier skipping dinner. I guess that doesn't fit well with the American schedule though. When I was an exchange student is Germany in high school, their large meal of the day was around 1-2PM. While they did have a small dinner, they would probably have an easier time skipping it than here.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                The study suggests skipping breakfast and fasting from 7PM until noon the next day. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier skipping dinner. I guess that doesn't fit well with the American schedule though. When I was an exchange student is Germany in high school, their large meal of the day was around 1-2PM. While they did have a small dinner, they would probably have an easier time skipping it than here.
                Going to bed hungry is no bueno. I do the 16-8 thing now and skip breakfast every day and it is super easy.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• It always surprises me how much energy I have for morning workouts without eating anything. Last week I did a long, grueling mountain bike ride from 5:00-8:00 am on Saturday with and empty stomach and felt great. Breakfast seems to me to be a tradition more than a biological need. But unfortunately, breakfast food is also some of the tastiest there is.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                    It always surprises me how much energy I have for morning workouts without eating anything. Last week I did a long, grueling mountain bike ride from 5:00-8:00 am on Saturday with and empty stomach and felt great. Breakfast seems to me to be a tradition more than a biological need. But unfortunately, breakfast food is also some of the tastiest there is.
                    Yes! Which is why I enjoy a delicious breakfast at noon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Going to bed hungry is no bueno. I do the 16-8 thing now and skip breakfast every day and it is super easy.
                      Is there some health reason why this is no bueno or is it because you simply don't like going to bed hungry? Just curious...

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        Is there some health reason why this is no bueno or is it because you simply don't like going to bed hungry? Just curious...
                        I don't know about Jeff, but I don't sleep well if I don't eat a proper evening meal. Has to be something more than just a salad, for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          That is just me. I have a tough time going to sleep on an empty stomach. Also, socially it is more difficult to skip dinner. Family time, events, etc. Breakfast is easy. I just get up and go to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            That is just me. I have a tough time going to sleep on an empty stomach. Also, socially it is more difficult to skip dinner. Family time, events, etc. Breakfast is easy. I just get up and go to work.
                            Yep some people do black coffee only as their only intake before noon. No calories, a little jump start to your day.

Comment

• I finally got around to reading the Jason Fung book in its entirety. Here is my take.

1. Overall an awesome book — I agree with 90% of what he is saying.

2. He loves coffee and tea. Long fasts would be roughly 1000 times easier if coffee and tea are allowed and maybe that’s the reason. I think I might try fasting for 24 hours once a week or so. I’m convinced!

3. He vastly underrates the importance of exercise in long-term weight control. In particular for men I think resistance training to maintain good muscle mass is crucial during middle age. Maintaining muscle improves insulin sensitivity and muscle burns calories when you aren’t doing anything. It’s true that a bad diet will quickly erase the benefits of exercise but since he is so focused on the baseline set weight I think he’s missing how important exercise is for that. Not a fan of how he is totally dismissive of one of the major pillars of good health (exercise).

4. And I agree with what JL said about how his chapter on artificial sweeteners is the weakest part of his book. He asks “Have you ever know anybody to lose weight and stay thin on diet drinks?” Uhhh yeah I know a ton of people who dropped 20-30 pounds or more by getting off full sugar soda and switching to diet.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                Yep some people do black coffee only as their only intake before noon. No calories, a little jump start to your day.
                                Is there a MOTCOTJCOLDS-friendly version of black coffee to start your day?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X