Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bluegoose
    7th round draft pick
    • Nov 2008
    • 4121

    #766
    Its a pretty good live feed of the finish line. Currently at about 2:50 finish time. Our first CUFfer could potentially come through in the next 25-30 minutes.

    I've seen several people almost fall down at the line. There was one guy that was weaving all over the road the last 50 yards. I'm not sure he knew where the actual finish line was.

    Comment

    • SteelBlue
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 8190

      #767
      I'll do a report later but just wanted to check in. I had a good but tough day. I had trained for a 3:30 and felt very confident I could do it, but I just didn't have it today. Probably went out too hard. Really struggled from 11-14 then got a second wind, especially mentally. Came in at 3:46.12 and am thrilled with it as it means I'm making good progress. Tendonitis bugged me a little but had no effect on performance.

      This was my first experience with being totally spent. The last 3 miles felt like I was running in cement. I saw ERCoug and he graciously sprayed me with cool water. Don't know if he could tell but I was hurting. Stayed ahead of the 3:45 balloon guy until we turned and could see the finish line. He passed me and there was absolutely nothing I could do to catch him. I was fried.

      Heard them call Solon's name at the finish but I don't know what he looks like and so running back to try and meet him wouldn't have worked to well. Congrats on the finish Solon! Never saw Piney. Hope things went well for him.

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #768
        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        I'll do a report later but just wanted to check in. I had a good but tough day. I had trained for a 3:30 and felt very confident I could do it, but I just didn't have it today. Probably went out too hard. Really struggled from 11-14 then got a second wind, especially mentally. Came in at 3:46.12 and am thrilled with it as it means I'm making good progress. Tendonitis bugged me a little but had no effect on performance.

        This was my first experience with being totally spent. The last 3 miles felt like I was running in cement. I saw ERCoug and he graciously sprayed me with cool water. Don't know if he could tell but I was hurting. Stayed ahead of the 3:45 balloon guy until we turned and could see the finish line. He passed me and there was absolutely nothing I could do to catch him. I was fried.

        Heard them call Solon's name at the finish but I don't know what he looks like and so running back to try and meet him wouldn't have worked to well. Congrats on the finish Solon! Never saw Piney. Hope things went well for him.
        Nice job, steel! You fooled me--you were looking strong!
        Hot day today. About everyone I know finished about 15-20 minutes off what they were planning on.
        I never saw piney. I dont know if I just missed him or not. Solon finished strong despite not training. Just another walk in the park...
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • BigPiney
          Huge Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 12374

          #769
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Nice job, steel! You fooled me--you were looking strong!
          Hot day today. About everyone I know finished about 15-20 minutes off what they were planning on.
          I never saw piney. I dont know if I just missed him or not. Solon finished strong despite not training. Just another walk in the park...
          I came in a few minutes before steel, so you just missed me. I was looking for you and I came down the end, but was lucking enought ot find my dad and daughter.

          My wife ran a 3:16 so that is one person that had a great day. Of course she has spent the rest of the day lying on the floor, with frequent trips to the bathroom. I was hoping for about the same time as her, but I died after mile 13 or 15. Actually at mile ten, she ran away from me after I told her that I was done. Once I download the gps I will be able to better tell where I officially died.

          Still I finished my first, and most likely my last. That was stupid and painful. You guys are crazy.

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27895

            #770
            Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            I'll do a report later but just wanted to check in. I had a good but tough day. I had trained for a 3:30 and felt very confident I could do it, but I just didn't have it today. Probably went out too hard. Really struggled from 11-14 then got a second wind, especially mentally. Came in at 3:46.12 and am thrilled with it as it means I'm making good progress. Tendonitis bugged me a little but had no effect on performance.

            This was my first experience with being totally spent. The last 3 miles felt like I was running in cement. I saw ERCoug and he graciously sprayed me with cool water. Don't know if he could tell but I was hurting. Stayed ahead of the 3:45 balloon guy until we turned and could see the finish line. He passed me and there was absolutely nothing I could do to catch him. I was fried.

            Heard them call Solon's name at the finish but I don't know what he looks like and so running back to try and meet him wouldn't have worked to well. Congrats on the finish Solon! Never saw Piney. Hope things went well for him.
            Congrats! You guys are inspiring me.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #771
              Just letting everyone know that the st George runner series registration just opened. This gets you automatic entry into the marathon by running 2 out of a list of 10 races. It fills up really fast (like within an hour), so don't wait if you're interested. Cost is $10.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • Solon
                Lost in the flood
                • Nov 2008
                • 5747

                #772
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Just letting everyone know that the st George runner series registration just opened. This gets you automatic entry into the marathon by running 2 out of a list of 10 races. It fills up really fast (like within an hour), so don't wait if you're interested. Cost is $10.
                Thanks for the heads-up, ER.
                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                Comment

                • Parrot Head
                  Operation Hot Mother
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2322

                  #773
                  Since I haven't noticed an official thread for half-marathoners and I want to feel more special than just putting this in the "runners" thread, what would one need to do to prepare in the few days leading up to a half? I'm not sure what/how to eat and if I need to invest in Vaseline or whatever else may be necessary. If it's not clearly evident, this potential half would be my first.
                  I have nothing else to say at this time.

                  Comment

                  • Borg
                    Tour de CS 2013?
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 1501

                    #774
                    How much training did everyone put in for their first marathon? I will most likely follow Hal Higdons training method. Is that the minimum or do you do more than what is prescribed?

                    If you did follow the Hal Higdons method religiously, how did you run and how did you feel? Was it sufficient?
                    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

                    Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

                    Comment

                    • Eddie
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 8098

                      #775
                      Originally posted by Borg View Post
                      How much training did everyone put in for their first marathon? I will most likely follow Hal Higdons training method. Is that the minimum or do you do more than what is prescribed?

                      If you did follow the Hal Higdons method religiously, how did you run and how did you feel? Was it sufficient?
                      For my first - I started following Hal. I got hurt and it didn't work out so well. The short version is that due to a pulled calf muscle and bronchitis I didn't run further than 3 miles at a time in the 8-9 weeks leading up to the marathon. I ended up running out of gas around mile 17, alternating running and walking until about 23 or 24, and essentially walking in the last 2-3. But I finished. In about 4:30.

                      For my second, I started out with an aggressive training program and had a muscle go tight again in the first couple of weeks of training.

                      At that point, I used the Hal Higdon novice program - but even modified it further in that I only ran 3 times a week instead of 4 and I never ran two days in a row. I ended up running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Tuesday was a short run and I would do speed work. Thursday was the intermediate run and I alternated between hills and race pace. Saturday was the long run, which I ran at 45-60 seconds slower than race pace.

                      I was THRILLED with how well I did only running 3 days a week.

                      In short - I would think that you would be great going with the Higdon plan. If you are interested in increased performance, my experience would have me looking at how I train on the days I run rather than adding more distance or additional runs to what Hal outlines.

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #776
                        Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        At that point, I used the Hal Higdon novice program - but even modified it further in that I only ran 3 times a week instead of 4 and I never ran two days in a row. I ended up running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Tuesday was a short run and I would do speed work. Thursday was the intermediate run and I alternated between hills and race pace. Saturday was the long run, which I ran at 45-60 seconds slower than race pace.

                        I was THRILLED with how well I did only running 3 days a week.
                        More details please.
                        Was this the program you followed?
                        Marathon training from the renowned runner, author and coach


                        How did you tweak it? Did you cross-train?

                        I'm curious because I refuse to run more than three days a week (I cross-train with cycling/mountain biking pretty consistently, so I end up exercising 5-6 days a week). It's worked well up to 1/2M distances, but I'm a little nervous to use it for a full. I've followed the Run Less, Run Faster program for up to 1/2 M's and I trust it would work for a full, but I'm just curious to see what others have done.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #777
                          Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          For my first - I started following Hal. I got hurt and it didn't work out so well. The short version is that due to a pulled calf muscle and bronchitis I didn't run further than 3 miles at a time in the 8-9 weeks leading up to the marathon. I ended up running out of gas around mile 17, alternating running and walking until about 23 or 24, and essentially walking in the last 2-3. But I finished. In about 4:30.

                          For my second, I started out with an aggressive training program and had a muscle go tight again in the first couple of weeks of training.

                          At that point, I used the Hal Higdon novice program - but even modified it further in that I only ran 3 times a week instead of 4 and I never ran two days in a row. I ended up running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Tuesday was a short run and I would do speed work. Thursday was the intermediate run and I alternated between hills and race pace. Saturday was the long run, which I ran at 45-60 seconds slower than race pace.

                          I was THRILLED with how well I did only running 3 days a week.

                          In short - I would think that you would be great going with the Higdon plan. If you are interested in increased performance, my experience would have me looking at how I train on the days I run rather than adding more distance or additional runs to what Hal outlines.
                          I'm doing something similar with my current training program. I am struggling with Achilles issues. So far I am happy with the success. And I'm doing it for the Goofy challenge.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • Eddie
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 8098

                            #778
                            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            More details please.
                            Was this the program you followed?
                            Marathon training from the renowned runner, author and coach


                            How did you tweak it? Did you cross-train?

                            I'm curious because I refuse to run more than three days a week (I cross-train with cycling/mountain biking pretty consistently, so I end up exercising 5-6 days a week). It's worked well up to 1/2M distances, but I'm a little nervous to use it for a full. I've followed the Run Less, Run Faster program for up to 1/2 M's and I trust it would work for a full, but I'm just curious to see what others have done.
                            Yep - that is the program I tweaked and followed.

                            More details - last year a pulled a soleus. It felt like a knife stuck in my calf unless I really flexed it and kept my ankle bent. So this year when I felt a twinge a couple of weeks into training, I got off of it for nearly two weeks and went from running 5 times a week to just three.

                            I took the Higdon schedule you linked and essentially dropped the shortest run of each week. On Higdon's schedule you start with 3 miles three times a week, and then a longer run on Saturday. Speaking just of those three mid-week runs - eventually the middle of the three extends and becomes a middle distance run. The first tends to stay the shortest and the third gets a little longer - but not much. So I dropped the first run, and used the distance from the third run to run on the first.

                            The first 3 weeks or so back I just ran easy. The last 10-11 weeks of training I trained pretty hard - following the basic format below:

                            Like I said, I took the third run and made it my first run, on Tuesdays. This was my speed work day.

                            I took the second run - the one that extends to become a middle distance run and ran that distance on Thursdays. This was my hills and race pace day.

                            And the long run remained on Saturdays.

                            Monday, Wednesday and Friday were cross-training days. I admit, I wasn't as consistent with that as I was with the running.

                            For my Tuesday runs, mostly I just ran that short distance at a pace about 45 seconds to a minute faster than race pace. About every third week I would run to the HS track (about a mile) and then finish the remaining mileage by running one lap about 90-120 seconds faster than race pace followed by a lap at race pace, and just continue that alternating.

                            On Thursdays I alternated between running hills and running at race pace. Running hills was admittedly very boring. I found a loop near home that was about a quarter mile up hill, then about 200 yards across, followed by another quarter mile down hill, and another 200 yards across to the bottom of the hill again. (the loop was about 3/4 of a mile) This was a pretty steep hill - and I would run the loop attempting to maintain my overall pace at race pace (obviously faster down the hill, slower up the hill, and at race pace on the flats between). Running race pace on the alternate weeks was just that - running the distance at my target pace for the race.

                            On Saturdays I tried to run about a minute slower than race pace - but most of the time ended up running closer to 45 seconds slower. I wasn't a fan of running real slow.

                            As I said - I was VERY happy with the results. Below is a condensed version of my race report from this past May - mostly I just throw it in to show the times as evidence that my endurance was OK. For the record - my target race pace was 8:30.

                            I made a calendar of my last 12 weeks or so of training, if you want to PM me an email address I'll send it to you.

                            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            Here's my report for Yesterday's Ogden Marathon.

                            Mile 1: 8:40.

                            Mile 2: 8:29.

                            Mile 3: 8:27.

                            Mile 4: 8:19.

                            Mile 5: 8:20.

                            Mile 6: 8:16.

                            Mile 7: 8:23.

                            Mile 8: 8:24.

                            Mile 9: 8:23.

                            Mile 10: 8:24.

                            Mile 11: 8:29.

                            Mile 12: 8:25.

                            Mile 13: 8:19.

                            Mile 14: 7:57.

                            Mile 15: 10:01. (Big hill - about a quarter mile long. I decided to walk it as part of my race strategy.)

                            Mile 16: 8:12. I’m feeling good. Really good. I want to speed up, but I keep telling myself to follow Hal’s plan. After all, I thought I was doing well at this point last year. At mile 20, if I’m still feeling it, then I can go. I’m excited to be feeling so good with 10 miles to go. But holding back is tough. So I tell myself that as long as I keep it around an 8:15 pace – a little faster is OK.

                            Mile 17: 8:16.

                            Mile 18: 8:13. I’m starting to pass more and more people. It seems like the only ones who pass me or try to keep up are people carrying batons for the relay. Still feeling great, I can’t believe there are only 8 miles to go. Somewhere either here or in mile 19 I catch and pass the 3:45 pacer.

                            Mile 19: 8:11.

                            Mile 20: 7:57. I haven’t finished mile 20 yet – but I decide this is close enough and pick it up a little. From this point through the end of the race, only one person passes me. A relay runner with a baton who is making good time down the canyon – fast enough I don’t even have the urge to try to keep up with him. Truth be told, as the race progresses and I’m running down the last stretch on Grant street, I’m pretty proud of the fact that only one runner has passed me in the last 6-7 miles of the race. Then, with a little more than a half mile to go, I fly past the guy with the baton who passed me earlier. And just like that, no one beats me over the last 6-7 miles of the race.

                            Mile 21: 7:48. At the start of this mile I get out my phone to send off my 2nd text to my wife. Then it’s go time.

                            Mile 22: 7:37.

                            Mile 23: 7:13.

                            Mile 24: 7:21.

                            Mile 25: 7:54. At the start of mile 25, I slow for a bit to get out my phone and send the last text to my wife. I’m done with all of the downhill running now – there are a few ups here and there, though it is mostly flat – but my pace is slowing some. And about a mile ago my thighs started to burn. I know I don’t have a lot more in me – got to power through to the end.

                            Mile 26: 7:43.

                            Finish: 2:53. According to my 305, I run .41 miles after mile 26. Somewhere in here my 15 year-old son jumps in and finishes the race with me. He seems caught up in the emotion and is feeling it, running at a good clip. At first I think “holy crap, slow down!” Then I decide to go with it, and ultimately put in a good sprint through the final block – running this section at a 7:08 pace.

                            Final time: 3:36:22. I’m thrilled, knocking more than 50 minutes off of last year’s time. And I feel much better at the end – legs are sore, but I’m not a walking zombie. I feel awesome!

                            Comment

                            • Joe Public
                              8.1 YPC
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 8533

                              #779
                              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              And I'm doing it for the Goofy challenge.
                              In FL this January? I might have reason to be out there at that time. If I am, I'm going to see if I can get in on the half.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                              "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                              Comment

                              • Pheidippides
                                Liberal Feminazi
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14759

                                #780
                                Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                                In FL this January? I might have reason to be out there at that time. If I am, I'm going to see if I can get in on the half.
                                Hurry up - it sells out quickly. If you do the half, look for me, my wife and my Dad near the back of the pack.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                                Comment

                                Working...