Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Parrot Head
    Operation Hot Mother
    • Nov 2008
    • 2322

    #811
    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    My long runs are intentionally slow (as with most marathon training programs), but for the short runs I typically walk about a half mile (sometimes a full mile) or so back to the house these days. That really skews the time but give me a good cool down and helps me to work out any residual soreness. Also, at this point for this training, I've cut out all my speed work. I'm doing pace runs but nothing faster - I've been fighting injury too much this year. Part of the injury issue may have to do with mileage - I am about to run my 1000th mile this year (that's on top of 700 cycling). My previous high was 800 or so (with no cycling).

    I'm not quite as fast as I was this last spring, though. I did set a PR in the half this September but this spring I think I could have gone sub 20 in a 5k. No way I can do that now without a couple of months of good speedwork.
    I hope I didn't get into your psyche and force your explanation of the dog coming up lame on today's run.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #812
      Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
      I hope I didn't get into your psyche and force your explanation of the dog coming up lame on today's run.
      Lol. I will admit I was cursing him a bit with you in mind....
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #813
        Who else is going to be at Disney World in a couple of weeks? I know at least Coach and I will be there.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • Joe Public
          8.1 YPC
          • Apr 2011
          • 8533

          #814
          Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          Who else is going to be at Disney World in a couple of weeks? I know at least Coach and I will be there.
          I'll be there, so I'm glad I registered. I'll be running the half (and not running the full the next day ).
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

          "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #815
            So, a couple of things of note. I'm putting the finishing touches on my Goofy race prep and my plan is to (for the first time ever) just have a good time on the half. I don't think we'll break 12 minute miles as an average. We're going to take pictures, I'm going to run with a camcorder in one hand, we'll walk through all the water stops - generally its just going to be leisurely.

            For the full marathon portion - which I'm doing solo - it will be time to put on my big boy tights and run. Based on my hell weekend a couple of weeks ago - on which I ran 5.5 on Friday, 14 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday - I think I can finish sub four hours even with the extra miles in my legs. So it will either be a spectacular victory or a crushing defeat - if I am wrong, those last 6-10 miles are going to be very, very ugly. I am going in with nothing more than some minor aches, which is good.

            Finally, the weekend after the Goofy is the Olympic Marathon Trials here in Houston for both men and women on the same course at the same time. You better believe I will be going. I know a great spot to show up to watch - with a bit of jogging myself I can see the respective fields six times each. I'm actually excited to see some true elites in action. Ryan Hall, Meb and Dathan Ritzenheim are all going to be there I believe.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • scottie
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 5247

              #816
              Anyone here gotten into trying out non-traditional running shoes? This company had a booth at the finish line of the last half-marathon I ran and I talked to them for a little while:



              Zero Drop™ Footwear
              Zero Drop™ footwear offers runners the world's first fully cushioned, foot-shaped, training shoe without an elevated heel. This unique platform allows for a more natural foot strike and a more efficient, comfortable ride.

              DESIGNED TO REDUCE:
              < Forefoot Pain
              < Excessive Pronation
              < IT Band Pain (side of knee)
              < Runner's Knee
              < Shin Splints
              I totally want to try out their shoes, but would like to hear a real testimonial first.

              Comment

              • Pheidippides
                Liberal Feminazi
                • Nov 2008
                • 14759

                #817
                Originally posted by scottie View Post
                Anyone here gotten into trying out non-traditional running shoes? This company had a booth at the finish line of the last half-marathon I ran and I talked to them for a little while:





                I totally want to try out their shoes, but would like to hear a real testimonial first.
                I own the following non-traditional running shoes:

                VFFs (two pair)
                Merrill Tough Glove
                Newton Distance Racer

                I have to say for true zero drop nothing yet beats the VFFs. Split toes may look funny but it is the only way to go. The tough glove I wear as a business shoe on days I don't care how I look. For pure barefoot

                The distance racer is different altogether. Newtons have a specific feel, but are much more cushioned (ftr, I like them)
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27896

                  #818
                  Originally posted by scottie View Post
                  Anyone here gotten into trying out non-traditional running shoes? This company had a booth at the finish line of the last half-marathon I ran and I talked to them for a little while:





                  I totally want to try out their shoes, but would like to hear a real testimonial first.
                  I just went to a local store and tried these on. THe guy pulled htem out and I walked around the store a bit in them. I didn't like them as much as the Nike Frees (3mm) or the VFFs, but I'm also new to barefoot/minimalist running.

                  My advice is to go to a local place and run on a treadmill to get a feel for them.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #819
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I just went to a local store and tried these on. THe guy pulled htem out and I walked around the store a bit in them. I didn't like them as much as the Nike Frees (3mm) or the VFFs, but I'm also new to barefoot/minimalist running.

                    My advice is to go to a local place and run on a treadmill to get a feel for them.
                    I'm assuming you went to the place I referred you to?
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • scottie
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5247

                      #820
                      Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I just went to a local store and tried these on. THe guy pulled htem out and I walked around the store a bit in them. I didn't like them as much as the Nike Frees (3mm) or the VFFs, but I'm also new to barefoot/minimalist running.

                      My advice is to go to a local place and run on a treadmill to get a feel for them.
                      You're in Texas, right? That gives me more confidence in them, that running stores outside of Utah are selling them.

                      Comment

                      • Pheidippides
                        Liberal Feminazi
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14759

                        #821
                        Originally posted by scottie View Post
                        You're in Texas, right? That gives me more confidence in them, that running stores outside of Utah are selling them.
                        Two separate unaffiliated major running stores in our fair city, as a matter of fact.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #822
                          I'm interested to see how I do on a course I've run before. I think knowing the course will guve me a mental boost, but I'm not sure how much. I'm unquestionably in better shape than this time last year but I am also running 13 miles the day before the marathon so I think it will be hard to tell.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • scottie
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5247

                            #823
                            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            I'm interested to see how I do on a course I've run before. I think knowing the course will guve me a mental boost, but I'm not sure how much. I'm unquestionably in better shape than this time last year but I am also running 13 miles the day before the marathon so I think it will be hard to tell.
                            Regardless of how easy you take that 13 miles, I think you're crazy.

                            Comment

                            • Coach McGuirk
                              1
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12109

                              #824
                              Originally posted by scottie View Post
                              Regardless of how easy you take that 13 miles, I think you're crazy.

                              Goofy, actually. Quite Goofy.

                              Comment

                              • Pheidippides
                                Liberal Feminazi
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14759

                                #825
                                Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                                Goofy, actually. Quite Goofy.
                                Indeed. I did, however, refuse to run the 5k on Friday with my mother. So there is that.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                                Comment

                                Working...