The fat guy who cried wolf thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #16
    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    Way more. My doc told me 1800 if I never leave the bed.
    Agreed. I think I calculated mine at about 2400 a day sendentary, give or take.

    After I re-read, I think you were focusing on calories burned specifically doing cardio, as opposed to total calories in a day, no? If so, then I am with you.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #17
      Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      Hmm. Creekster, can we get a Clydesdale division set up?
      I am the Clydesdale division, pal.

      Coach, what speed do you average?

      Here's my promise FM, if you get to Tahoe with a bike, I will ride with you as long as you want to be on the course. It will be fun and it will give you a good goal to shoot for. Do it, man!
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • Coach McGuirk
        1
        • Nov 2008
        • 12109

        #18
        Originally posted by creekster View Post

        Coach, what speed do you average?

        Depends on the day and the terrain of course. Right now I am averaging 14-15 mph on relative flats. End of last year I was at 18 mph. Mountains get involved and it drops like a rock.

        Comment

        • creekster
          It is NOT a monkey!
          • Nov 2008
          • 22661

          #19
          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Depends on the day and the terrain of course. Right now I am averaging 14-15 mph on relative flats. End of last year I was at 18 mph. Mountains get involved and it drops like a rock.
          Then it is you me and FM. FM, that is your goal. SHoot for 15-16 MPH and dont worry about your hill speed. Also don't necessarily expect to do the whole route, maybe 1/2, but plan on it.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment

          • BigPiney
            Huge Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12382

            #20
            FM, make sure you are incorperating weight training into what you are doing. Even if it is jsut plyometrics, like wall sits or lunges. Building your muscles will be a huge help. Good luck and see you in Tahoe.

            Comment

            • FMCoug
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 6825

              #21
              Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              FM, make sure you are incorperating weight training into what you are doing. Even if it is jsut plyometrics, like wall sits or lunges. Building your muscles will be a huge help. Good luck and see you in Tahoe.
              I actually have a home gym that I'm going to use 3 or 4 times a week. My thought was to work upper body since lower body is getting such a workout when biking or hiking. Maybe if I get to the point where I don't go immediately anaerobic (or virtually immediately) I will start lower body. But right now my legs are plenty sore just from those things. Thoughts?
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

              Comment

              • FMCoug
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 6825

                #22
                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Then it is you me and FM. FM, that is your goal. SHoot for 15-16 MPH and dont worry about your hill speed. Also don't necessarily expect to do the whole route, maybe 1/2, but plan on it.
                I'm thinking to myself that I am insane as I type this but I'm in! Need you guys to be my trainers between now and then though. Also, sine the bike I'm riding now is a MTB with slicks, will that be sufficient or should I try to get a road bike between now and then?
                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                Comment

                • kccougar
                  9262
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7020

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  I got 80 to lose. Seriously, you can do it. I am overweight too, by 80 pounds. I lost a little less than half that last year(it is all back) and did a century, well almost(94 miles), at 260 pounds. You can totally do it!
                  I have a neighbor that is about 6'-3" and easily 260. He rides to work regularly and makes an annual trek from Salt Lake to Yellowstone on his bike.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                  Comment

                  • FMCoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6825

                    #24
                    Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    I have a neighbor that is about 6'-3" and easily 260. He rides to work regularly and makes an annual trek from Salt Lake to Yellowstone on his bike.
                    6'3" 260 is a far cry from 5'9" 300 ... but if I can lose 30 or 40 lbs by then ....
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69752

                      #25
                      Bravo, FM. You can do it.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Levin
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 1152

                        #26
                        Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        I have a neighbor that is about 6'-3" and easily 260. He rides to work regularly and makes an annual trek from Salt Lake to Yellowstone on his bike.
                        How do such people stay fat when they exercise so regularly?

                        Zero metabolism, I suppose.

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Levin View Post
                          How do such people stay fat when they exercise so regularly?

                          Zero metabolism, I suppose.
                          You'd be amazed at the calories we can pound. I'm sure 4000+ in a day when I just eat "whatever I want" is not uncommon.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • FMCoug
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 6825

                            #28
                            So after a good start Sunday and Monday, it rained today. And it's supposed to snow tomorrow. So I forced myself to do 20 minutes on the treadmill even though I despise it. And I lifted tonight ... burned about 600 calories between the two so all is not lost.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                            Comment

                            • Gidget
                              Philosophical Goldilocks
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 1312

                              #29
                              Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                              So after a good start Sunday and Monday, it rained today. And it's supposed to snow tomorrow. So I forced myself to do 20 minutes on the treadmill even though I despise it. And I lifted tonight ... burned about 600 calories between the two so all is not lost.
                              All is NOT lost! Doing something, ANYTHING, everyday will make a huge difference. And keeping track of calories really does help. You likely see results fast and let that be a motivation!!
                              I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

                              You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

                              Comment

                              • creekster
                                It is NOT a monkey!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22661

                                #30
                                I am traveling for a few days so will be scarce, FM, but the main thign is to just kep riding. Try to go alitle faster and a little farther each week, and get enough rest. You will be fine.

                                I wouldn't worry about the bike yet, although you might want to check out the saddle and pedal ideas given in this thread. But the main thing is to keep riding.


                                oops, I got my big guy on a bike threads mixed up. The saddle/pedal discussion was in the bikle shop thread. SOrry.
                                Last edited by creekster; 04-14-2009, 09:19 PM.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                                Comment

                                Working...