The fat guy who cried wolf thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #1

    The fat guy who cried wolf thread

    So those who have been around for a while may roll your eyes at this as I've made lofty goals before. But I'm making yet another effort to lose this weight and get in shape. Some of you may remember I bought a bike last spring ... it didn't get used much last year due to the job change and move to Utah and all the accompanying chaos. But I just came back from my first ride this year.

    Anyway, my plan is to take up hiking as well as the Bike this season and combine that with healthy eating and see what I can accomplish. I'm using TheDailyPlate to track things ... I like it better than FitDay because I have yet to find a food product that it doesn't have. I'm shooting for a 2000 calorie / day deficit. That sounds like a lot but keep in mind I go 300+. My BMR is 3300 calories / day. And I burn close to 1000/hr exercising.

    Anyway, I plan on using this thread to keep track of my progress and have some public accountability. Feel free to ignore ...
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #2
    Today's bike ride.

    Broke out the bike and rode 5 miles in about 30 minutes, averaging 10.5 miles per hour. Like the hiking, it was basically 100% misery. My ass hurts and my legs are jello. But I look at both of these activities as stuff I will enjoy in the future if I go through hell now.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #3
      get your ass in shape and make it a goal to meet us in Tahoe!

      Comment

      • FMCoug
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 6825

        #4
        Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        get your ass in shape and make it a goal to meet us in Tahoe!
        I have 100+ lbs to lose ... doubt that's gonna happen in time for that.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

        Comment

        • Coach McGuirk
          1
          • Nov 2008
          • 12109

          #5
          Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
          I have 100+ lbs to lose ... doubt that's gonna happen in time for that.

          I got 80 to lose. Seriously, you can do it. I am overweight too, by 80 pounds. I lost a little less than half that last year(it is all back) and did a century, well almost(94 miles), at 260 pounds. You can totally do it!

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #6
            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            So those who have been around for a while may roll your eyes at this as I've made lofty goals before. But I'm making yet another effort to lose this weight and get in shape. Some of you may remember I bought a bike last spring ... it didn't get used much last year due to the job change and move to Utah and all the accompanying chaos. But I just came back from my first ride this year.

            Anyway, my plan is to take up hiking as well as the Bike this season and combine that with healthy eating and see what I can accomplish. I'm using TheDailyPlate to track things ... I like it better than FitDay because I have yet to find a food product that it doesn't have. I'm shooting for a 2000 calorie / day deficit. That sounds like a lot but keep in mind I go 300+. My BMR is 3300 calories / day. And I burn close to 1000/hr exercising.

            Anyway, I plan on using this thread to keep track of my progress and have some public accountability. Feel free to ignore ...
            Good luck and welcome to the club, FM. If you can tough it out for the first month, it's all downhill from there. Heck, I gave myself a 24 hour break over Easter and, for the first time in my life, didn't lose any momentum at all.

            I would say to make sure that you get more than 1200 calories per day. I don't know all the details but people tell me it's bad if you don't.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • FMCoug
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 6825

              #7
              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              Good luck and welcome to the club, FM. If you can tough it out for the first month, it's all downhill from there. Heck, I gave myself a 24 hour break over Easter and, for the first time in my life, didn't lose any momentum at all.

              I would say to make sure that you get more than 1200 calories per day. I don't know all the details but people tell me it's bad if you don't.
              Net? My plan is to consume 2500 and burn 1200+ per day.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

              Comment

              • FMCoug
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 6825

                #8
                Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                I got 80 to lose. Seriously, you can do it. I am overweight too, by 80 pounds. I lost a little less than half that last year(it is all back) and did a century, well almost(94 miles), at 260 pounds. You can totally do it!
                Hmm. Creekster, can we get a Clydesdale division set up?
                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                Comment

                • Pheidippides
                  Liberal Feminazi
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14759

                  #9
                  Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                  Net? My plan is to consume 2500 and burn 1200+ per day.
                  Not sure. I haven't been paying attention to the net too much - I treat exercise as a bonus.

                  Burning 1200+ a day is hard. I can do it with a couple of hours of basketball.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    I have been operating under the assumption that we burn well over 1200 calories per day just leading a seated, moderate movement lifestyle (get up from your desk, walk around, go about your daily tasks, climb up the stairs, pick up the baby, eat/digest food, that sort of thing)?

                    Am I off?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • FMCoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6825

                      #11
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I have been operating under the assumption that we burn well over 1200 calories per day just leading a seated, moderate movement lifestyle (get up from your desk, walk around, go about your daily tasks, climb up the stairs, pick up the baby, eat/digest food, that sort of thing)?

                      Am I off?
                      That's part of the BMR calculation. So when I say a BMR of 3300, that's taking into account digestion and a sedentary (desk job) activity level. My base BMR (i.e. if you slept 24 hours) is 2600 or so ...
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #12
                        You can do it man.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Fiyero
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5266

                          #13
                          The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. A 300 lb man who speedwalk/jogs a 5 mph pace will burn about 1050 calories in an hour.
                          250 lbs: about 900 calories
                          200 lbs: about 725 calories
                          150 lbs: about 550 calories

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #14
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            I have been operating under the assumption that we burn well over 1200 calories per day just leading a seated, moderate movement lifestyle (get up from your desk, walk around, go about your daily tasks, climb up the stairs, pick up the baby, eat/digest food, that sort of thing)?

                            Am I off?
                            Way more. My doc told me 1800 if I never leave the bed.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #15
                              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              Way more. My doc told me 1800 if I never leave the bed.
                              Yep a 5'4 100 pound women burns about 1500 doing nothing.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              Working...