No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my walk/jog this afternoon - the wind was COLD. IT was out of the north north west at 20-25 mph The first couple of miles was directly into it. When it died down, it was rather nice, but ...

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• My legs of the SoCal Ragnar are in the bag. I got sick Wednesday and had to run the whole damn thing congested and feeling like crap. I ran legs 10, 22, and 34 for team #152. Leg 10 was 5.7 miles with a heat index of 102 near Corona, CA. This leg absolutely killed me. I finished with a pace of 14:58. I was hurting the entire time. Leg 22 was just 2.2 miles at 1 AM. I ran this faster than my projected pace. I could've kept on trucking. I felt great. Still sick, but whatever. Leg 34 was more of the same, but I finished 30 slower than projected pace. The best part was watching my cousins kill it. One of them was an all American distance runner at BYU and her sister also ran at BYU. It looks like we'll be one of the first 50 or so teams to finish.

In all, it was a great time. It was a hard, hard race to do while sick. But I did it.
      Last edited by lambdacoug; 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM.
      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
      - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
        My legs of the SoCal Ragnar are in the bag. I got sick Wednesday and had to run the whole damn thing congested and feeling like crap. I ran legs 10, 22, and 34 for team #152. Leg 10 was 5.7 miles with a heat index of 102 near Corona, CA. This leg absolutely killed me. I finished with a pace of 14:58. I was hurting the entire time. Leg 22 was just 2.2 miles at 1 AM. I ran this faster than my projected pace. I could've kept on trucking. I felt great. Still sick, but whatever. Leg 34 was more of the same, but I finished 30 slower than projected pace. The best part was watching my cousins kill it. One of them was an all American distance runner at BYU and her sister also ran at BYU. It looks like we'll be one of the first 50 or so teams to finish.

In all, it was a great time. It was a hard, hard race to do while sick. But I did it.
        Very cool! Congrats on running and completing.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

My legs of the SoCal Ragnar are in the bag. I got sick Wednesday and had to run the whole damn thing congested and feeling like crap. I ran legs 10, 22, and 34 for team #152. Leg 10 was 5.7 miles with a heat index of 102 near Corona, CA. This leg absolutely killed me. I finished with a pace of 14:58. I was hurting the entire time. Leg 22 was just 2.2 miles at 1 AM. I ran this faster than my projected pace. I could've kept on trucking. I felt great. Still sick, but whatever. Leg 34 was more of the same, but I finished 30 slower than projected pace. The best part was watching my cousins kill it. One of them was an all American distance runner at BYU and her sister also ran at BYU. It looks like we'll be one of the first 50 or so teams to finish.

Good job, lambdacoug. It heated up quite a bit a day or two ago; sounds like you caught a taste of that. I'm glad you enjoyed the race.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Nice job, LC.
            Ragnars are fantastic ways to get into running. You get to team up with fast people, you get to run alongside other fast people (unlike a race, where they leave you pretty quickly), and the team atmosphere just makes for a nice supportive atmosphere and a fun party. Only drawback is that they're too freakin long--hence the new mini-Ragnars and the 50-mile relays that have been cropping up. It's nice to not have to take off an entire weekend to race and then recover.
            We're doing our first Ragnar Trail relay next weekend:
            http://ragnartrail.com/locations/zion-ut
            The price is a bit steep, but it should be fun.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Nice job LC!

Comment

• NICE! I grew up in Corona. That place is a hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slim View Post
                  NICE! I grew up in Corona. That place is a hole.
                  Crown Town. Did you go to high school there? I have family there and had a mission companion from Corona.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Crown Town. Did you go to high school there? I have family there and had a mission companion from Corona.
                    I went to high school there at centennial high. Both my parents went to corona high.

Comment

• Team 152, triumphant at the finish line.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by lambdacoug; 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM.
                      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                      - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• At what length/distance/time should a person consider eating something on a run? I'm starting to think I should be doing this, but I'm not quite sure. I also don't know what I'd eat.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• If I go over about 15 or so I'll take some gels at a minimum. Or I'll stop at a store or something. But you have to be careful because those first few times eating on the run aren't pleasant.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I will run up to 10 miles without taking anything to eat. Beyond 11 or 12 miles, I usually take a GU or a Shot Block at about mile 8 or 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              At what length/distance/time should a person consider eating something on a run? I'm starting to think I should be doing this, but I'm not quite sure. I also don't know what I'd eat.
                              Back when I was training I would eat before running if I was doing anything over 10 miles. I'd usually eat an hour or two before running and I'd bring a gel pack with me. If I was going over 5 miles I'd bring water. Anything 5 miles or less I just basically wake up, drink some water and head out.

I'm on week 3 of starting running again. I did 2.5 miles this morning. My cardio is suffering big time but my legs are feeling good. No pain, soreness or tenderness, at least not in the Achilles region. My hips are sore, but that's normal.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                At what length/distance/time should a person consider eating something on a run? I'm starting to think I should be doing this, but I'm not quite sure. I also don't know what I'd eat.
                                I used to not eat anything ever. Then I started taking something if I was going 15 miles or more. Eventually I started taking something if I was running more than 10. Funny thing is - I did it more so that I had the experience of eating on the run and was ready for the race.

I found that the gu/gel started to sit like cement in my gut if I take too much. So I started taking in a half a pack more often so less was hitting my gut in one shot and replacing a gu with a cheap granola bar about mid race. I don't slow down or anything while eating it, so I eat slow and it probably takes me a half mile to finish the thing, I'll just bite off small pieces so that my mouth isn't full - effecting my breathing - and chew them up good and swallow.

If you think you need something, try something different each run until you come across what you like and works best for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X