No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had some scares the past couple weeks. My previous stress fractures were on my left tibia, however about 2 weeks ago my right tibia was getting really sore. The soreness was pretty isolated in one area, which was some cause for concern, however it wouldn't get any worse during my runs so I had no idea what was up. I decided to rest a bit so I took 5 days off. Since then I've rattled off runs of 5 miles (Wednesday) and 7 miles (today) and my legs are feeling really good. No pain.

I'm thinking it was just sore muscles or ligaments or whatever is down there. I'm hoping it's nothing worse as I'm scheduled to start my marathon training at the end of next month. I just need 5 more months of injury free running to accomplish my goal of finishing a marathon.

And the 7 mile run this morning was glorious. My pacing wasn't fast as I tried to keep it at my marathon pace (about 9 minute miles) but the temps were in the low 60s and the air was pretty dry.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I had some scares the past couple weeks. My previous stress fractures were on my left tibia, however about 2 weeks ago my right tibia was getting really sore. The soreness was pretty isolated in one area, which was some cause for concern, however it wouldn't get any worse during my runs so I had no idea what was up. I decided to rest a bit so I took 5 days off. Since then I've rattled off runs of 5 miles (Wednesday) and 7 miles (today) and my legs are feeling really good. No pain.

I'm thinking it was just sore muscles or ligaments or whatever is down there. I'm hoping it's nothing worse as I'm scheduled to start my marathon training at the end of next month. I just need 5 more months of injury free running to accomplish my goal of finishing a marathon.

And the 7 mile run this morning was glorious. My pacing wasn't fast as I tried to keep it at my marathon pace (about 9 minute miles) but the temps were in the low 60s and the air was pretty dry.
      Which one did you sign up for? Did I miss that?
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        Which one did you sign up for? Did I miss that?
        I haven't signed up yet, but it will be the Woodlands marathon in early March. I almost put in for the Houston marathon, but since it's on a Sunday I figured I'd skip it and do the one closer to my home. It'll also be easier for MJ and the kids to come support me up there rather than downtown.

I'm also considering doing the "end of the world" half marathon in late December. The half-marathon falls exactly on the day my Higdon training program calls for a half marathon, so I might sign up and run it just to give me some "race day" experience. If not, I'll just do 13.1 miles by myself that day.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Well, I haven't had a race to prepare for, so on Monday I'm signing up for a 5k on Oct 13th and a Halloween 10k, as motivation. When I finish the 10k, I'm going to reward myself with a GPS running device (probably a forerunner 305, though maybe a 205 and save the 305 for after my first half...assuming I ever make it there).

I'm doing 3 mile runs this week (following my plan to add 0.5 miles per week until I hit 10k). Things have been going really well, and I think I might shoot for a long run (5 miles, I don't think I have ever run 5 miles straight, ever) on Sat. My pace is down to 12 min/mile on my 3 mile runs, and that is not really pushing hard. Its like I dropped from 15 min/mile to 12 min/mile overnight.
          Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
          - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
          - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            Ha...I was just reading this thread backwards and came across the thread where niku quoted you. Almost pulled the trigger, but held off. I'm all over cardiac physiology like DDD on irony.

With reference to long run training--there's still plenty of controversy here. Most agree that these can be 60 seconds off your race pace, and you can still expect to reach your goal, assuming you get in your speed and tempo workouts in, where you really work your anaerobic and lactate thresholds. But I would disagree that a fast long run is counterproductive, provided you're recovering quickly enough to get in quality speed and tempo workouts--most 3-day/week schedules recommend you get these within 30 seconds of race pace. A commonly prescribed long workout is to run the first 2/3 - 3/4 easy, then speed up to race pace for the last portion to simulate "fatigued" race pace. I think that at least helps mentally. Maybe a simple guide is to ensure that you're still reaching your time goals on speed and tempo workouts--if you are, you could probably speed up your long runs and benefit. In any case, I definitely wouldn't worry about a bad or slow long run--like niku says, the chief purpose is time on your feet, not speed.

Anyway, this is all theoretical because I bonked hard in my marathon, when I ran fast long workouts, but I'm 90% convinced that was a hydration issue. Guess we'll see in St G.
            This sounds like something my wife was describing, and I think this is much better than just running the whole thing slow. All that would seem to do is teach you to run slow. What she would do, and did this on her marathon last year, is on the long runs is run about 45 seconds below race pace for about .8 miles and then the last .2 speed up to race pace, then repeat for each mile during the long run. I think I like your way better.

Comment

• I ran 5 miles today at a slow pace (13:30, about 90s slower than normal). It felt a lot easier than I thought it would. I could have easily gone another mile or two. My knees started to complain a bit though so I stopped at the planned 5 miles. Is it normal for knees to get sore? I've never experienced it before. Is it an indication that 5 miles is too much right now and I should slow down, or is it just normal and expected?
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• Had a great run this morning. Went 4 miles and had no pain at all in either shin. I threw down a 7:21 for my last mile which is my fastest mile since I began running two years ago.

Comment

• Since all of my riding buddies were unavailable this weekend, I decided to do a long run instead. I've done about 3 days of running per week for the last couple of months, but my longest run has been about 6 miles this summer.

I went a bit further than I should have and finished with 10 miles. My overall pace was pretty good, but I started to get a bit tired over the last mile and my knee got a little stiff once I was finished. It feels fine today, but in hind sight I probably should have stopped at 9.

No marathons on the horizon, just trying to get in shape for the Turkey Trot in a couple of months.

Comment

• I am going to be in Provo for the Oregon State game, so I have decided to run the Homecoming 5k (cougar run). Hoping to run a sub 20 min at elevation, especially since I have not been working much speed at all. I would love to run a PR, but I doubt that is possible with the hills on the course.

I ran 12 with my wife on Saturday and went slower for the first 6. on the last 6 we would run the first .85 of each mile at a slower pace, and then really push the last .15 (30 seconds or more below race pace). That was not much fun. Hopefully it will help me to be mentally tougher.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I have decided to run the Homecoming 5k (cougar run). Hoping to run a sub 20 min at elevation
                      Oh, great. You better not be in my age group.

Comment

• Dammit... I really wanted to run 3.5 miles tonight, but I got sidelined by a migraine. I seriously hate those things... *angryface*
                        Last edited by lambdacoug; 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM.
                        - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Mondays are my "fast" days. I just ran a 5K in 23:31, which is fast for me considering my previous best was around 24:20. Not bad, especially for the day after fast Sunday. My splits were 7:56, 7:40, 7:12, 1:10 (final 0.1). I think I can go faster.

Comment

• I took it easy last week and only ran once. My knee was giving me problems. Anyway got back out last night and started the 5k to 10k program again, this time I'm doing the distance based program and not the time based program. I think that will be better prep anyway. In all I did 3.5 miles last night, and cut the last interval out to not overdo it on my knee. It felt good to be back in the saddle, so to speak.

I only ran 33 miles in Sept, but I only ran once the last week so as to not overdo it on the knee. ER is always saying to not run through pain, so I wasn't. Anyway, September average pace was 64 seconds faster than August, and 4.5 minutes faster than July. I love seeing this progress, especially after a slow/off week.
                            Last edited by lambdacoug; 10-02-2012, 08:06 AM.
                            - Howard Aiken

Comment

• I guess I enjoy running on a level I never thought possible. I find myself wishing I could just go for a quick run to clear my head or whatever. This is definitely uncharted territory for me, but I suppose this is me getting hooked on a healthy habit. I never would have thought I would be where I am at now in terms of fitness just a few years ago. I know this is nothing Earth shattering but this is the closest thing to a running support group I have (though I'm joining a local running club) so I thought I'd share.
                              - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                                I guess I enjoy running on a level I never thought possible. I find myself wishing I could just go for a quick run to clear my head or whatever. This is definitely uncharted territory for me, but I suppose this is me getting hooked on a healthy habit. I never would have thought I would be where I am at now in terms of fitness just a few years ago. I know this is nothing Earth shattering but this is the closest thing to a running support group I have (though I'm joining a local running club) so I thought I'd share.
                                That's awesome, keep it up! I find myself reflecting on how running has changed my life, but I'm often reticent to say it that way because it sounds so supremely cheesy and exaggerated. But it's true.

And I like the idea of this thread as a running support group. I use it the same way I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X