Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12379

    #886
    Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

    We would go probably on a Monday/Tuesday and spend our time up there in that green area. Thanks for the parking info - I’ll check and understand what the rules are on the days we go.

    We do have Ikon passes (base pass). It’s been warm and dry at the Big Bear resorts this year.
    Come hang with me at Mammoth!!

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21152

      #887
      Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

      Come hang with me at Mammoth!!
      Is that a professional hockey club?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • BigPiney
        Huge Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12379

        #888
        Originally posted by Pelado View Post

        Is that a professional hockey club?
        Not yet.

        Comment

        • Joe Public
          8.1 YPC
          • Apr 2011
          • 8539

          #889
          Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

          Come hang with me at Mammoth!!
          That would be great. I have to figure out the lodging scene there - it’s almost as far from us as Brian Head is.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

          "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

          Comment

          • RC Vikings
            Known Heterosexual
            • Nov 2008
            • 8789

            #890
            Had a grandkids birthday party Saturday and decided to ski Snowbasin Sunday on the way home, still my least favorite hill in the Mt Collective group. It just doesn't have a nice flow to it, from top to bottom you'll ski on three or four different trail with big difference in slope, to me the whole mountain is a mess.

            Comment

            • chrisrenrut
              Strikes and Gutters
              • Jul 2009
              • 2299

              #891
              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              Had a grandkids birthday party Saturday and decided to ski Snowbasin Sunday on the way home, still my least favorite hill in the Mt Collective group. It just doesn't have a nice flow to it, from top to bottom you'll ski on three or four different trail with big difference in slope, to me the whole mountain is a mess.
              On a non-powder day, I’d agree. But I’ve had 3 of my best 5 powders days there. The kind when you can still see your tracks from the run before at 3:00 in the afternoon.

              Comment

              • Goatnapper'96
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10924

                #892
                I always wanted to take a March ski trip somewhere during our spring break. One of the problems is however that I am not a fan of spring skiing conditions. I find little joy in conditions going from Ice Hockey rink to snow cone over a few hours-mixed in with ACL tearing terror and fear anywhere there is shade on a run and you go from snow cone to hockey rink with each bit of shade. First world problems I understand but that is why I do my skiing in January and February and then once track season starts in March I hang up the skis for the year. But I always wondered what Banff would be like in mid to late March. So here is what I learned last week-Banff is fabulous in March. Conditions reminded me of Park City in February-cool but not bitter cold and very little of Mister Scratchee or Mister Slurpee. Well. a little Mister Scratchee above tree line at Lake Louise and Sunshine but once you got below trees and things were not wind whipped it was beautiful. Besides that is there a more gorgeous place on earth than Canmore and Banff? I felt like Canmore was surrounded by a dozen Materhorns. Insane natural beauty-especially for those of us particular to the intermountain west. I gotta do a summer vacation up through Alberta where I can hit Cardston/LDS settlements, the Chuckwagon Races at the Calgary Stampede, hike in Banff NP and fly fish both the upper and lower Bow River runs. The Canucks are even willing to endure the fact that we elect assholes for our Presidents. Our Home and Native Land! Only thing I feel like I missed was not going to a Flames Hockey game.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

                Comment

                • RC Vikings
                  Known Heterosexual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8789

                  #893
                  Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  I always wanted to take a March ski trip somewhere during our spring break. One of the problems is however that I am not a fan of spring skiing conditions. I find little joy in conditions going from Ice Hockey rink to snow cone over a few hours-mixed in with ACL tearing terror and fear anywhere there is shade on a run and you go from snow cone to hockey rink with each bit of shade. First world problems I understand but that is why I do my skiing in January and February and then once track season starts in March I hang up the skis for the year. But I always wondered what Banff would be like in mid to late March. So here is what I learned last week-Banff is fabulous in March. Conditions reminded me of Park City in February-cool but not bitter cold and very little of Mister Scratchee or Mister Slurpee. Well. a little Mister Scratchee above tree line at Lake Louise and Sunshine but once you got below trees and things were not wind whipped it was beautiful. Besides that is there a more gorgeous place on earth than Canmore and Banff? I felt like Canmore was surrounded by a dozen Materhorns. Insane natural beauty-especially for those of us particular to the intermountain west. I gotta do a summer vacation up through Alberta where I can hit Cardston/LDS settlements, the Chuckwagon Races at the Calgary Stampede, hike in Banff NP and fly fish both the upper and lower Bow River runs. The Canucks are even willing to endure the fact that we elect assholes for our Presidents. Our Home and Native Land! Only thing I feel like I missed was not going to a Flames Hockey game.
                  Very cool, we went up to Waterton a couple of years ago but Banff is still on my list of places I want to see. I've seen enough of winter in Canada so it will definitely be a summer vacation.

                  Comment

                  • beefytee
                    Board eye candy
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7542

                    #894
                    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    I always wanted to take a March ski trip somewhere during our spring break. One of the problems is however that I am not a fan of spring skiing conditions. I find little joy in conditions going from Ice Hockey rink to snow cone over a few hours-mixed in with ACL tearing terror and fear anywhere there is shade on a run and you go from snow cone to hockey rink with each bit of shade. First world problems I understand but that is why I do my skiing in January and February and then once track season starts in March I hang up the skis for the year. But I always wondered what Banff would be like in mid to late March. So here is what I learned last week-Banff is fabulous in March. Conditions reminded me of Park City in February-cool but not bitter cold and very little of Mister Scratchee or Mister Slurpee. Well. a little Mister Scratchee above tree line at Lake Louise and Sunshine but once you got below trees and things were not wind whipped it was beautiful. Besides that is there a more gorgeous place on earth than Canmore and Banff? I felt like Canmore was surrounded by a dozen Materhorns. Insane natural beauty-especially for those of us particular to the intermountain west. I gotta do a summer vacation up through Alberta where I can hit Cardston/LDS settlements, the Chuckwagon Races at the Calgary Stampede, hike in Banff NP and fly fish both the upper and lower Bow River runs. The Canucks are even willing to endure the fact that we elect assholes for our Presidents. Our Home and Native Land! Only thing I feel like I missed was not going to a Flames Hockey game.
                    I went to a wedding last August up the mountain at Lake Louise resort. It was kind of fun taking the chairlift up in some dress clothes. We did see some grizzlies on the hill, but they have pretty good fencing to keep them away from people.

                    It is gorgeous but pretty crowded place in the Summertime. Waterton is a great place, smaller, and not as crowded usually.

                    As far as the Mormon settlements, the Cardston temple is pretty cool as it is the only thing in town and really sticks out. Otherwise, it is just a bunch of small towns. Unless you have some ancestors or history there, I don't know that there will be much to see. There is a carriage museum in

                    The Flames play in Salt Lake on April 1. You could easily check them out then. I haven't ever been to a home game in the Saddledome. The environment at the Delta center is great though. I've loved going to the games. It will be perfect when they fix the viewing angles. My seats will be fine once they move the surface up a little bit.

                    Comment

                    • Goatnapper'96
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10924

                      #895
                      Originally posted by beefytee View Post

                      I went to a wedding last August up the mountain at Lake Louise resort. It was kind of fun taking the chairlift up in some dress clothes. We did see some grizzlies on the hill, but they have pretty good fencing to keep them away from people.

                      It is gorgeous but pretty crowded place in the Summertime. Waterton is a great place, smaller, and not as crowded usually.

                      As far as the Mormon settlements, the Cardston temple is pretty cool as it is the only thing in town and really sticks out. Otherwise, it is just a bunch of small towns. Unless you have some ancestors or history there, I don't know that there will be much to see. There is a carriage museum in

                      The Flames play in Salt Lake on April 1. You could easily check them out then. I haven't ever been to a home game in the Saddledome. The environment at the Delta center is great though. I've loved going to the games. It will be perfect when they fix the viewing angles. My seats will be fine once they move the surface up a little bit.
                      I went to see the UHC play Edmonton on Thanksgiving Weekend. It was a blast. My clan enjoys the hockey games better than the NBA games. I really want to watch a hockey game in Canada to get the real effect. I am quite sure I could spend at least a day in the LDS settlemenxs-Cardston even has one of those goofy melodrama theaters like West Yellowstone with a gazillion mormon thespians doing their thing.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

                      I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #896
                        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

                        I went to see the UHC play Edmonton on Thanksgiving Weekend. It was a blast. My clan enjoys the hockey games better than the NBA games. I really want to watch a hockey game in Canada to get the real effect. I am quite sure I could spend at least a day in the LDS settlemenxs-Cardston even has one of those goofy melodrama theaters like West Yellowstone with a gazillion mormon thespians doing their thing.
                        Cardston looks like a town right out of Eastern Idaho, LDS churchs throughout the town, Temple dominates the skyline and it's all surrounded by these rolling farm grounds.

                        Comment

                        • Goatnapper'96
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10924

                          #897
                          Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

                          Cardston looks like a town right out of Eastern Idaho, LDS churchs throughout the town, Temple dominates the skyline and it's all surrounded by these rolling farm grounds.
                          MY PEOPLE!
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

                          I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

                          Comment

                          • beefytee
                            Board eye candy
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 7542

                            #898
                            Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

                            I went to see the UHC play Edmonton on Thanksgiving Weekend. It was a blast. My clan enjoys the hockey games better than the NBA games. I really want to watch a hockey game in Canada to get the real effect. I am quite sure I could spend at least a day in the LDS settlemenxs-Cardston even has one of those goofy melodrama theaters like West Yellowstone with a gazillion mormon thespians doing their thing.
                            I had to miss that Edmonton game because my daughter came home from her mission that night.

                            The game on Saturday against the Lightning was spectacular though and I've enjoyed most of the games I've been to this year. Since they are so close to making the playoffs, the games are pretty exciting with each point being super important.

                            I've only been to one NHL game in Canada. It was in November 1994 when the Leafs played the Oilers at Northlands Coliseum. It was fun. Hockey Night in Canada (Saturday Night) is the time to go.

                            There are a few summer theater places. Cardston has its Carriage House theatre. Lethbridge has New West theater. If you are going through Glacier, the Big Fork Montana theater (Big Fork Summer Playhouse) is pretty good. I saw Bonnie and Clyde there a few years ago.

                            There is also the Carriage Museum in Cardston. My grandparents were friends and neighbors with the Remington's who collected the carriages. They took us for rides on them before the museum. So, I have some nostalgia for the place.

                            Sorry to all the skiers for hijacking the thread.

                            If you are looking for skiing in the area, the best bet is Whitefish Montana. In Canada itself, there is Fernie BC. The closest to Waterton/Cardston, but the smallest resort with the shortest season is Castle Mountain (West Castle back in the day). When I was a kid, they only had T-bars and no chairlifts. Looks like they have 4 chairlifts now.

                            Comment

                            • Joe Public
                              8.1 YPC
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 8539

                              #899


                              I hope it’s better for you Utah/Idaho/Colorado folks (I haven’t checked). Dry and highs in the 50s still at the ski places near me, and we’re almost to the end of December.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                              "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                              Comment

                              • Goatnapper'96
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10924

                                #900
                                Originally posted by Joe Public View Post


                                I hope it’s better for you Utah/Idaho/Colorado folks (I haven’t checked). Dry and highs in the 50s still at the ski places near me, and we’re almost to the end of December.
                                I got out at Big Sky the day after Thanksgiving. It wasn't bad-4 runs open and only one was excessively icy from the man made stuff. It was snowing pretty hard so that helped as well. At that point in the year only Big Sky and Brianhead were open on the western side of the Rockies AFAIK. I am heading to my condo next week down at PC. I don't know how much we will ski. Opensnow dude indicates that a decent storm, with cooler temperatures, ought to hit 25-27 Dec. But ya-this is some pretty insane weather this year so with PC/Canyons being a lower altitude resort I expect it to be a soupy mess.
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

                                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

                                Comment

                                Working...