No announcement yet.

Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new granddaughter came into the world last week so went down to help the new parents. I had a couple of hours while everyone else went to a doctors appointment and I ran up to Snowbird. The last time I skied there was back when I was in Provo and I remember all the cat track skiing and it being a really hard mountain but they have really improved it. If you're a beginner I should still find a different hill to ski but I had a good time and would recommend it to people. This was on a Tuesday and all the parking lots were full, I have no idea what or how they do it on a weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      A new granddaughter came into the world last week so went down to help the new parents. I had a couple of hours while everyone else went to a doctors appointment and I ran up to Snowbird. The last time I skied there was back when I was in Provo and I remember all the cat track skiing and it being a really hard mountain but they have really improved it. If you're a beginner I should still find a different hill to ski but I had a good time and would recommend it to people. This was on a Tuesday and all the parking lots were full, I have no idea what or how they do it on a weekend.
      Congrats on the new grandbaby!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Congrats on the new grandbaby!
        Thanks, we've got three down in Utah now. We are down there at least once a month anymore, I'm really getting good at that drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          This was on a Tuesday and all the parking lots were full, I have no idea what or how they do it on a weekend.
          The thought of driving up Little Cottonwood Canyon on a weekend gives me quite a bit of anxiety. I used to love to ski Alta and Snowbird, but haven't in years because I don't want to navigate the crowds and such. I'm starting to get to the same point with Big Cottonwood Canyon. I have about six seasons before my youngest graduates high school and I've wondered if that will be when I hang it up.

When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Now that this thread is bumped I forgot to mention- I went to Tamarack last month and it was really good. Super hard to get to compared to the Utah resorts or Jackson Hole, but honestly a really nice resort and mountain. I've come around on it a bit.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
              Now that this thread is bumped I forgot to mention- I went to Tamarack last month and it was really good. Super hard to get to compared to the Utah resorts or Jackson Hole, but honestly a really nice resort and mountain. I've come around on it a bit.
              What did you think about it before?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

What did you think about it before?
                I kind of have a hard view of resorts in Idaho and this was no different. I thought it was cool just wasn't keen to revisit since it was more than annoying to get to.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Now that this thread is bumped I forgot to mention- I went to Tamarack last month and it was really good. Super hard to get to compared to the Utah resorts or Jackson Hole, but honestly a really nice resort and mountain. I've come around on it a bit.
                  Feeling silly that I missed this opportunity in my first response, but [in a joyous melody]:

Commando will be coming around the mountain on Tamarack...

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  I kind of have a hard view of resorts in Idaho and this was no different. I thought it was cool just wasn't keen to revisit since it was more than annoying to get to.
                  Yeah, not the most accessible resort. Still haven't been there, but I don't ski so that shouldn't surprise anyone.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post

The thought of driving up Little Cottonwood Canyon on a weekend gives me quite a bit of anxiety. I used to love to ski Alta and Snowbird, but haven't in years because I don't want to navigate the crowds and such. I'm starting to get to the same point with Big Cottonwood Canyon. I have about six seasons before my youngest graduates high school and I've wondered if that will be when I hang it up.
                    Went to Alta on Friday, February 9. Took about 20 minutes to turn right from Wasatch Blvd onto Little Cottonwood Rd and another 20 minutes to get past "the merge" going up the canyon. But that day was a no-school day for some school districts in Salt Lake County so it was a little more crowded than a normal Friday. Once we got to Alta it was fine and we had a good day. Going up LCC on a Saturday morning would be even worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Went to Alta on Friday, February 9. Took about 20 minutes to turn right from Wasatch Blvd onto Little Cottonwood Rd and another 20 minutes to get past "the merge" going up the canyon. But that day was a no-school day for some school districts in Salt Lake County so it was a little more crowded than a normal Friday. Once we got to Alta it was fine and we had a good day. Going up LCC on a Saturday morning would be even worse.
                      I left the Eastbay area of Provo at 7:15am this morning and was parked at Snowbird (taking the same route you mentioned) by 8:10am. First time here.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• What a great January and February. Went to Brighton a couple times with my brother, then ended up doing the cousins snowboard trip 2 days at Powder Mountain sandwiched around 1 day at Snowbasin. First time to Snowbasin and wow that is a great resort. I will definitely be going back but we were there when it hadn't snowed in about a week and I fear how the lines would be on a good day. In February I took my 10 year old daughter skiing for her first and second times at Brighton. I put her in lessons both times and she caught on extremely quickly. By the end of the second day she was going on the bigger lifts and taking the easy way down with absolutely no issues. I think she will try some blues before the end of the season. We are going with my brother and his wife again on Friday and she is so excited to hang out with her aunt all day. And I am just beyond excited that this could be something I love that I can share with my daughter as she grows up, until I get too old.

Side note: I don't know how you people who are serious skiers and golfers do it. One insanely expensive, time consuming activity is about all I can handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          What a great January and February. Went to Brighton a couple times with my brother, then ended up doing the cousins snowboard trip 2 days at Powder Mountain sandwiched around 1 day at Snowbasin. First time to Snowbasin and wow that is a great resort. I will definitely be going back but we were there when it hadn't snowed in about a week and I fear how the lines would be on a good day. In February I took my 10 year old daughter skiing for her first and second times at Brighton. I put her in lessons both times and she caught on extremely quickly. By the end of the second day she was going on the bigger lifts and taking the easy way down with absolutely no issues. I think she will try some blues before the end of the season. We are going with my brother and his wife again on Friday and she is so excited to hang out with her aunt all day. And I am just beyond excited that this could be something I love that I can share with my daughter as she grows up, until I get too old.

Side note: I don't know how you people who are serious skiers and golfers do it. One insanely expensive, time consuming activity is about all I can handle.
                          I do it with a midweek pass.

Comment

• Third day at Brighton on Friday. I want to get her out a couple more times before the end of the year but her brighton passes are done. I'm seriously considering the ikon when it goes on sale on the 14th because I believe the unlimited solitude benefit starts immediately so we could essentially go there for free until it closes this spring.

On a personal selfish level, some kind of exclusive brighton pass makes the most sense. My office (when I am there) is very near the mouth of Big Cottonwood. I imagine a brighton pass would have me up there for twilight riding a lot. But being my daughter will only get 3 passes there again next year I probably need to get some kind of multi-resort pass for myself.

I wish solitude had night skiing. Then the ikon would be a no-brainer for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              Third day at Brighton on Friday. I want to get her out a couple more times before the end of the year but her brighton passes are done. I'm seriously considering the ikon when it goes on sale on the 14th because I believe the unlimited solitude benefit starts immediately so we could essentially go there for free until it closes this spring.

On a personal selfish level, some kind of exclusive brighton pass makes the most sense. My office (when I am there) is very near the mouth of Big Cottonwood. I imagine a brighton pass would have me up there for twilight riding a lot. But being my daughter will only get 3 passes there again next year I probably need to get some kind of multi-resort pass for myself.

I wish solitude had night skiing. Then the ikon would be a no-brainer for me.
                              A Brighton add-on for a kid is pretty cheap. Like just a couple hundred bucks. Totally worth it, especially for those days when a couple of hours is all that's needed. I did the Ikon for a couple years and just couldn't make myself love Solitude. It's fine, but it's like the RC Cola of the Cottonwood resorts.

Comment

• Got out for a say and skied Brian Head last week. It snowed the night before and was still snowing right up until about 9:30 am. So when the lifts opened at 10am, it was 35 degrees and powder. It was mid week, so I never waited for a single lift. Also, for the last 5-6 years, I’ve been accompanied by a beginner every single time. This time, it was me and two seasons a snowboarders . Best ski day I’ve ever had.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X