ARRRGH!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #31
    So, I got my registration email today, complete with bib number and instructions for picking up my packet. Turns out I got into the first wave of runners (!) based on my predicted time. I'm quite happy about that.

    A question for those of you who are experienced marathoners:

    I am considering wearing my fuel belt during the race. Up until now, I hadn't really considered it, but I'm thinking the first few water stops are going to be crowded and I am definitely used to drinking from my plastic flasks. What's more it will make me less dependent on water breaks for the purposes of taking my gels. Also, I have never practiced drinking from cups. It adds two pounds or so (only until I drink the water) but I'm thinking I might go that route. I've gone as far as 21 miles with it on, so I'm not worried about making it a full 26.2 (any more than I am worried in general). Any thoughts? Do any of the rest of you do that?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #32
      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      So, I got my registration email today, complete with bib number and instructions for picking up my packet. Turns out I got into the first wave of runners (!) based on my predicted time. I'm quite happy about that.

      A question for those of you who are experienced marathoners:

      I am considering wearing my fuel belt during the race. Up until now, I hadn't really considered it, but I'm thinking the first few water stops are going to be crowded and I am definitely used to drinking from my plastic flasks. What's more it will make me less dependent on water breaks for the purposes of taking my gels. Also, I have never practiced drinking from cups. It adds two pounds or so (only until I drink the water) but I'm thinking I might go that route. I've gone as far as 21 miles with it on, so I'm not worried about making it a full 26.2 (any more than I am worried in general). Any thoughts? Do any of the rest of you do that?
      fwiw, I think Arch (hi, Arch!) always carries his own water.

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #33
        Originally posted by Babs View Post
        fwiw, I think Arch always carries his own water.
        That's pretty strong precedent.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • Eddie
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 8098

          #34
          Let us know how everything goes. And I'd love any advice you have from a first-timer for a first-timer.

          Due to a number of issues, my running and exercise dropped quite a bit mid November. I've started up again, and decided I need a motivator. So I signed up for my first marathon in Ogden in May. I know running through the winter won't be much fun - which adds to my need for a motivator.

          My longest run to date as a little more than 13 miles back in October.

          I'm following one of the Hal Higdon training schedules and start official with week 1 next Monday.

          Excited and nervous don't begin to describe it...

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #35
            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Let us know how everything goes. And I'd love any advice you have from a first-timer for a first-timer.

            Due to a number of issues, my running and exercise dropped quite a bit mid November. I've started up again, and decided I need a motivator. So I signed up for my first marathon in Ogden in May. I know running through the winter won't be much fun - which adds to my need for a motivator.

            My longest run to date as a little more than 13 miles back in October.

            I'm following one of the Hal Higdon training schedules and start official with week 1 next Monday.

            Excited and nervous don't begin to describe it...
            I'm planning on doing a Goose-style write up when it's all over. 11 days and counting.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #36
              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              So, I got my registration email today, complete with bib number and instructions for picking up my packet. Turns out I got into the first wave of runners (!) based on my predicted time. I'm quite happy about that.

              A question for those of you who are experienced marathoners:

              I am considering wearing my fuel belt during the race. Up until now, I hadn't really considered it, but I'm thinking the first few water stops are going to be crowded and I am definitely used to drinking from my plastic flasks. What's more it will make me less dependent on water breaks for the purposes of taking my gels. Also, I have never practiced drinking from cups. It adds two pounds or so (only until I drink the water) but I'm thinking I might go that route. I've gone as far as 21 miles with it on, so I'm not worried about making it a full 26.2 (any more than I am worried in general). Any thoughts? Do any of the rest of you do that?
              I don't use them. Have you tried running on Gatorade? If so, I'd bag the gels and run alternating between Gatorade and normal water every stop. Unless you like the caffeine kick. I do, so I take a couple of gels (in my pocket) for times when I need the mental boost, then just take them a couple of minutes before the stop, then wash down with water.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • Pheidippides
                Liberal Feminazi
                • Nov 2008
                • 14759

                #37
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                I don't use them. Have you tried running on Gatorade? If so, I'd bag the gels and run alternating between Gatorade and normal water every stop. Unless you like the caffeine kick. I do, so I take a couple of gels (in my pocket) for times when I need the mental boost, then just take them a couple of minutes before the stop, then wash down with water.
                This is PRECISELY what I do. I use the Gatorade Endurance Formula stuff, at first, then switch to gels because I love the caffeine kick. I need to wash them down right away, though. I'm planning on taking four, which is part of the reason I'm thinking about taking the fuel belt - four is a lot to cart around with me in my pockets.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                Comment

                • Babs
                  Not a Lawyer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 17128

                  #38
                  Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  I'm planning on doing a Goose-style write up when it's all over. 11 days and counting.
                  No way!

                  nikuman!? Create a post about himself??

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    No way!

                    nikuman!? Create a post about himself??
                    Just one more way to steal your coveted limelight, dear.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #40
                      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      Just one more way to steal your coveted limelight, dear.
                      dammit. If only I'd known swimsuit pics were legal!

                      Comment

                      • Pheidippides
                        Liberal Feminazi
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14759

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        dammit. If only I'd known swimsuit pics were legal!
                        It's not too late; I dare you! You'll definitely get more attention than me that way.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                        Comment

                        • Eddie
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 8098

                          #42
                          Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          I'm planning on doing a Goose-style write up when it's all over. 11 days and counting.
                          Looking forward to the write up.

                          I need to get into a running store and be checked out for shoes. I really like the Avia's I wear, but I liked them too much when I should've been replacing them and started getting some hip pain. I figure if I'm going to keep running I should at least take a look at what kind of shoes will keep me going.

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #43
                            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            It's not too late; I dare you! You'll definitely get more attention than me that way.
                            nope. the masses have spoken, all fawning over The Nikuman. I couldn't possibly compete. I think I'll just explicitly dramatically and in a very uncool way storm off and go find a new board.

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              Looking forward to the write up.

                              I need to get into a running store and be checked out for shoes. I really like the Avia's I wear, but I liked them too much when I should've been replacing them and started getting some hip pain. I figure if I'm going to keep running I should at least take a look at what kind of shoes will keep me going.
                              I went through several pairs before I found a good fit for me. I do like both Asics and Saucony shoes. They can be pricey, though.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              • Babs
                                Not a Lawyer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 17128

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                Looking forward to the write up.
                                stop it!!! DO NOT FEED THE EGO.

                                Comment

                                Working...